HybridZ

Can you make an FWD SR20DE work in an RWD?

RacnJsn95

Normally I wouldn't ask such a silly question, but aside from the VG30e, and Z22/24 engines, Nissan engines are almost non-existant in any junkyard around here that is close by...

I was down there today, and I found a 93 Infinity G20, with an SR20DE. It's FWD. I know the distributor is in a different place on the FWD vs. RWD, but aside from that (and the transmission) is there any reason that I can't make this FWD SR20DE engine work in a RWD car? It seems I read something a while back about someone making a FWD SR engine to RWD L-series tranny adapter, anyone know about, or have any experience with that? The guy told me if I wanted the engine I could have it for $100 bucks, which seems like a steal if I can make it work! It's the only SR20, I've ever seen in a junkyard here... Hell, I've never even seen a KA24, or a KA24DE for that matter in the JY's here...

What are you opinions? Any info would be much appreciated!

Guest TeamNissan

I'm 99% sure the rwd sr tranny bolts right up to the fwd sr engine or ya you could use a L series trans with adapter. I have never heard about that adapter though.

People use the gtir sr20det engine with a sr20det rwd tranny all the time.

FWD BLOCK ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT FIT THE RWD SR TRANNY. I'VE TRIED IT MYSELF.

The fwd head will however fit on the rwd block. i wanted to use an s15 6speed so i had to get a rwd block.

if you want to use a z tranny, [or possibly a ka24 tranny, since they've been adapted to L6's without much fuss, but dont take my word on that, i havent done that conversion] then you could use your fwd sr20de.

to my knowledge, a rwd intake mani would bolt up as long as its around the same year, because the changed them at some point[high port/lowport]

there may be other issues that arise that you'll have to solve on your own because for the most part, you'll be in uncharted territory. everyone else just uses rwd, because it doesn't seem worth the fuss to mess with a fwd de.

I'd use the adapter cause it's just less ♥♥♥♥ you have to fab up...tranny mount, driveshaft. FWD sr20's are dirt cheap. Only thing is that the RWD use coilpacks instead of a dist setup and then figure out what ecu to use or just go with a standalone. I thought of this for awhile and it was really tempting. My junkyard is load with SR20de's for 150 each. I thought of getting a rwd head/intake mani and finding a cheap DE block. My buddy is station in Okinawa and SR20DET parts are dirt cheap. If shipping were only the same for large items.

Good point...never even thought of that. I was thinking of still trying to keep a stock ecu type setup for a cheaper and easy alternative. If I went with a FWD SR block I'd go straight for a RNN14 setup. How much do those fwd sr block-Lseries tranny adapter plates go for again? lol. How's the clearance with the oilpan and crossmember? What's all right behind the firewall where the dist would be placed? ....itchy jigsaw trigger finger....lol

you wouldn't neccessarily need coilpacks either, you could use a fwd head with MS 'n' EDIS to get rid of the dist on the back of the head.

That was my first thought for attempting to use the FWD setup... If a person wanted to get really creative, they could mount a trigger wheel for the EDIS where the distributor was, I bet that would clear the firewall...

I've read the FWD SR to L trans adapter is $295

Guest TeamNissan
That was my first thought for attempting to use the FWD setup... If a person wanted to get really creative, they could mount a trigger wheel for the EDIS where the distributor was, I bet that would clear the firewall...

I've read the FWD SR to L trans adapter is $295

Why would you mount it there when you could mount it on the crank pully and keep it out of the way?

Or do what the Corolla guys do when they swap in 20V 4age's. Take out all the electrical stuff out of the dist and using the trigger wheel in it as your trigger wheel. Works for them when using megasquirt. They have the same issue when installing the fwd 20v engines into the RWD corolla wiht the dist/firewall issues. Some just cut a hole, get a BFH and pound the firewall or just remove it completely and run a ford EDIS setup and MS.

Just curious, how much is dirt cheap for a FWD SR20DE?

How much will you have to invest in it to make it run like a stock SR20DET?

Right out of the box, the SR20DET can be pushed well over 300rwhp reliably as hell. I'm thinking to get the benefit of the SR motor, you're gonna have to build that FWD motor with pistons/rods/etc...

Not to mention the intake manifold fab work, requirement of standalone, tranny adaptor to run a weaker tranny than a stock SR tranny... etc....

It seems like you're gonna save $500-1000 on the cost of the motor up front and lose a lot more in the long run. (just guessing on the cost of the motor)

A straight SR20DET longblock and tranny can be had for under $1500 if you're gonna run a standalone and don't need all the electronics. That motor will push 250rwhp like its cool... stock turbo and all.

I'm just speculating, but I don't see the FWD motor doing all that for the same or less money. I'd keep an L28 in the car first.

The stock FWD DE bottom ends can take quite abit. I can get DE's at my pick and pull for 150 for a complete longblock and everything else bolted to it(alt, dist, full harness if I remove it or else they just hack it)intake manifold, exhaust manifold. Basically everything besides the tranny. They leave everything on it. The number of boosted DE's is quite huge and all get pretty good results. I think it's a better option then swapping in a RWD DET. Compression (9.5-1)isn't that high that you'd need to swap in low compression pistons or stronger rods. Hell my buddy ran a UK Primera DE which is a 10.1 CR engine and boosted it just fine and got 278WHP out of it. He was only using E-manage. It just falls back on the tune.

I mean swapping in a DET you have the engine to mount up along with the tranny and get a new driveshaft made up. This your only dealing with the engine and nothing behind it. Yeah you gotta deal with the intake mani and dist but nothing that crazy. Find someone that can weld AL and then hell just cut a opening on the firewall or if there's enough room just pound the firewall.