HybridZ

Modding a l28

igerstein

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what type of mods you can do to a l28. Can you put a turbo on it? What other things can you do to it?

Will mods decrease the life of the engine? If so, by how much? How much maintenance would be required with these type of things?

Sorry if the questions are stupid, I dont know all that much about cars and Zs (YET!)

thanks!

Okay, you're gonna get hammered real bad on this. Why because its BEYOND evident that you haven't spent the time to do some searching.

http://forums.hybridz.org/search.php

Spend several hours SEARCHING, it'll answer all your questions and more. Don't expect to get spoonfed around here and don't expect people to spend time answering your questions when you haven't spent your time to look first. Best of luck searching!! Also read this http://forums.hybridz.org/announcement.php?f=59&a=2

Tyson

Actually, I have been reading the forums, for the past hour or so. Believe it or not, I even made use of the search function!!! Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my original post: I really don't know that much about cars, little enough that reading a book probably won't be a life changing event for me. Don't get me wrong, I plan on doing lots of reading, but I dont think it will turn me into a super-mechanic. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but there must be some sort of way that the average joe can put some time into his engine. I jsut haven't been able to find much beyond what seems way out of my league (installing a supercharger, for instance).

I don't want to get spoonfed, I just haven't been able to find what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Actually, I have been reading the forums, for the past hour or so. Believe it or not, I even made use of the search function!!! Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my original post: I really don't know that much about cars, little enough that reading a book probably won't be a life changing event for me. Don't get me wrong, I plan on doing lots of reading, but I dont think it will turn me into a super-mechanic. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but there must be some sort of way that the average joe can put some time into his engine. I jsut haven't been able to find much beyond what seems way out of my league (installing a supercharger, for instance).

I don't want to get spoonfed, I just haven't been able to find what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Im sorry that you are not Mr.Mechanic but still man do you know what a dip stick is? lol.... seriously if your asking questions like this i really dont think you should be "modding" your car..... yes you can slap on a turbo, dam you can slap a turbo on about dam near anything... And reading and having some under the hood time will do you good man... grab a soda and start reading once you get a majority of the basics down you can expand from that and answer your own questions like if i run a turbo with stock NA injectors i will run lean and possably cause detination or things like that.... just me .02$

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=84860

^^^^

Good starting point for making good horsepower out of an L28.

Also, you need to define what extent of HP you are looking to get? 250, 300, +400 RWHP etc. What are you using your car for, daily driver, street thumper, drag race, auto-X, etc.

What is your budget, do you want to learn how to do it yourself or pay out to have someone do it for you?

Average guy mods for an L28 can be intake, exhaust, electric fan, electric water pump, etc. pretty simple mods can add a few extra HP and be fun for you to do.

I'm not badgering you or trying to patronize you, but these are important questions to help you out and for us to be able to help you out. I'm not expecting you to be a super-mechanic I don't think one exists, we have guys who can build a suspension beyond believe but not know a whole ton about engines.

I guess I'm looing for around 200-250 hp, nothing amazing, just enough to beat my friends stock '83 944 in a race, haha. Car is a daily driver, will be doing a 30 mile canyon drive to and from salt lake city every day, there and back, so it needs to be reliable.

I know you're just trying to help, I appreciate it.

edit: forgot to add: i have 8-9k to spend on a car AND mods, so I sort of have to find a certain balance. (though over time I will get more money to spend on the car, of course)

edit 2: sorry, forgot to say. I would prefer to learn to do it myself. It seems better that way...

I beat my brother's mid 80's 944 in my 93 Toyota P/U in a drag race to about 80. That pissed him off pretty good. Shouldn't be hard for you to blow your friend's doors off with a Z, even stock or just barely modded.

Take a look at the FAQ's regarding turbo Zs. There are some good threads for NA buildups as well. 200 whp in a Z and you'll leave your friend in the dust.

I beat my brother's mid 80's 944 in my 93 Toyota P/U in a drag race to about 80. That pissed him off pretty good. Shouldn't be hard for you to blow your friend's doors off with a Z, even stock or just barely modded.

Take a look at the FAQ's regarding turbo Zs. There are some good threads for NA buildups as well. 200 whp in a Z and you'll leave your friend in the dust.

tell me about it one of my friends told me he raced a 240z in his 213whp 7 and the 240z didnt have much done just ms and exhaust i think.... lets just say he wants a z now.... and ps... the race was up hill... said the z took him by about 2 semis lol! :shock:

Igerstein,

If you have that much cash to devote to a Z you will easily beat up on a 944.

The first thing you should do is find a relatively rust free car.

Try not to spend any more than 2K on a running car.

Find a 70 to 73 car as these are lighter, and depending on the emissions laws in your area tend to be easier to smog after mods.

Then get a couple of books to read, and start taking the car apart.

Just dig in.

You'll learn more by doing this than any other way.

The Z is a relatively simple car, good to learn on.

I started my mods with new bushings, big brakes, coilovers and wheels and tires.

Then comfy seats and..............................

And SEARCH if you have any questions.

Mike.

just enough to beat my friends stock '83 944 in a race, haha.

These cars were MADE to be turned into porsche-busters.... my uncle even has a sticker in his shop that says, "I'm a porsche-buster!!"

All it takes is a minimal effort to breath a little more life into it than stock, and youve got that 944 all day. My dad had a ghetto 240 racecar that was put together outside our house in a tarp canopy garage.... and he used to beat the tar out of brand new boxters on the autocross circuit....

can you believe how THAT must have felt, losing to a poor man's racecar in a porsche that cost $50K :evil:

all i ahve is header intake mild cam and a balanced crank oh and an lsd the other day i got a boxer s (wtf ever that is) to play. i let him get me 3 times b4 finally demolishing him from a stop. when we got to the next light he asked me how much i wanted for my car. i told him he doesnt deserve a z

Go to wikipedia and search internal combustion engine. Read it all several times. Follow their included links. Read those. Come back here and read. Go work on your car. Start with simple things like tune-ups. You will be a pro in no time. Good Luck. Welcome to HybridZ.

BTW: Most engines, inculding the Z L28 motor are 4-cycle engines.

NOTE: Dont spend a DIME until you really know what you are doing.

haha...beat my dad's TURBO 944 (230hp?) with a '96 Ford Explorer (150hp) with an automatic...lol

Who knows what my stripped down Z with an N/A motor (stock-ish?) would do to the 2.5L turbo 944 at its stock 15-17psi...lol

I also have an extra 2000 RPMs of power to play with than he does..

:-D

all i ahve is header intake mild cam and a balanced crank oh and an lsd the other day i got a boxer s (wtf ever that is) to play. i let him get me 3 times b4 finally demolishing him from a stop. when we got to the next light he asked me how much i wanted for my car. i told him he doesnt deserve a z

What kind of lsd are you using? i was planning on modding a R32 Clsd for my 280zx.... im runnin opendiff and its hard to slide her out.... with out the help of the clutch and steering wheel....

NOTE: Dont spend a DIME until you really know what you are doing.

Or go spend about 50-100 dollars on random automotive books and such, like a book on internal combustion engines, and buy Maximum boost, great book. Seeing as how 100 dollars is about 1% of you budget, its not a big loss, actually its more of a gain, because now you have knowledge of what to do. $100 is chump-change in the long run.