HybridZ

Turn signal not self-correcting

GeeZ

I have searched for this repair and I don't know if there is one except to replace it. The turn signals work in my '78Z but don't turn off when you straighten out. I thought I read somewhere about this repair but I can't find the post. I have jiggled it and sprayed WD-40 but this hasn't done anything.

Is there a repair?

If you have an aftermarket steering wheel it might not be compatible. If it is compatible or you have an oem wheel then there is a little stud sticking out of the steering hub that will hit the turn signal lever inside of the steering housing(:mrgreen: ) Can't really describe it but basically its behind the steering wheel, so take it off and see if anything is kaputt. Good luck

There is a screw holding the switch assembly to the steering column. You can loosen this screw and slide the whole switch assembly up closer to the steering hub. This will allow the 2 studs from the back of the steering hub to hit those levers to knock the switch back to the center position. If you have an aftermarket steering wheel you will need to drill 2 holes in the back and install the 2 studs for it to work. Good luck

My signals never did self cancel, but one day my turn signals stopped working. The problem was the switch. I took it apart and cleaned it, sanded the contacts and bent them to contact better. After I was done the self cancel started working. Guess a good cleaning did the trick.

• 1 month later...

Anybody know what size pins fit in those holes? Can I use wood dowels? Or do I need to go with steel? Can I buy these pins?

I pulled my steering wheel off yesterday and sure enough, no pins.... (but I have the holes where they belong). Just need to know where I can get these things......