HybridZ

Will it work?

Guest CujoZ

I have an 88 300ZX (auto) and it needs a headgasket. Not sure how many miles are on this engine, but it does run well. But my nephew has an 89 Maxima 5 speed with a remanufactured 3.0 with 10k miles on it, and it runs it butt off. He wrecked it (he's fine, not even a bruise) and he offered it to me for real cheap. Don't I have to change exaust manifolds, engine mounts, and swap flywheel for my flexplate to stay with my automatic? ( I'll save my 3.0 for future modifications)

It's really not hard to do a HG on a z31. You might want to look into the cost and labor of simply replacing the gasket, and sticking with the engine you have. I dont see it taking more time or money than swapping that Maxima VG30E. Keep in mind the work required in messing with that auto trans, exhaust manifolds (always rusted stuck) and swapping all your z31 VG30E parts over to the Maxima VG30E. Unless something is wrong with your VG30E i say use it.

Build up the maxima engine on the side with the require z31 parts, fresh paint, new gaskets, water pump, timing belt/tensioner, cams, a turbo, whatever else and swap in reliable performance in the future.

Just my .02

-Mike

Guest CujoZ

Cool, as always ya'lls help is appreciated. And Mike you are on to something, I do have a 87 Pathfinder that could use a fresh engine. What does tick me a little is the engine in my 300 is a remanufactured one (And I don't think it has many miles on it). Whoever put it in didn't put the fan shroud back on, and tie wired the clutchfan to bypass it. I think these were contributing factors to blowing the headgasket.

It's really not hard to do a HG on a z31. You might want to look into the cost and labor of simply replacing the gasket, and sticking with the engine you have. I dont see it taking more time or money than swapping that Maxima VG30E. Keep in mind the work required in messing with that auto trans, exhaust manifolds (always rusted stuck) and swapping all your z31 VG30E parts over to the Maxima VG30E. Unless something is wrong with your VG30E i say use it.

Build up the maxima engine on the side with the require z31 parts, fresh paint, new gaskets, water pump, timing belt/tensioner, cams, a turbo, whatever else and swap in reliable performance in the future.

Just my .02

-Mike

Just bear in mind Mike, the exhaust manifolds do have to come off when you do a HG, they don't when you do a swap :)

Just bear in mind Mike, the exhaust manifolds do have to come off when you do a HG, they don't when you do a swap :)

According to the FSM (EM-15) the exhaust manifold does not need to be removed for cylinder head removal. This coincides with my personal experiences in dealing with Z31 VG30E cylinder head removal. Im not sure why you would think that the exhaust manifolds need to come off. The crossover pipe will need to be unbolted (and the downpipe if drivers-side head), but the actual exhaust manifold can remain solidly rusted to the head.

The 89-94 maxima has diffrent exhaust manifolds so yes you do. Unless you want to custom fab something. The 85-88 manifolds are the same or similar to the Z31's.

~Alex

This is a great point. If you were going to swap in the Maxima engine, you would not only need to remove the Maxima's exhaust manifolds, but also remove the Z31's manifolds (and bolt them to the maxima-spec VG30E). Removing the exhaust manifolds is usually a PAIN!

-Mike

• 2 weeks later...