HybridZ

Are you a WoW addict and need an education?

auxilary

Can somebody, in a nut shell tell me what WoW is. I know it's some sort of on line game but that's about the extent of my knowledge of it. That and this guy I know plays it every waking moment of the day, he is a "trust fund" baby and doesn't work at all.

He does have a killer TT350Z that sits in his garage and collects dust (500+RWHP!!!) but that's a whole nuther' story

Guest TeamNissan

Its a HUGE online world where you and frends as characters travel around exploring and killing to gain experience. As you level up you unlock and get to do bigger better things. I never understood the addiction but I do understand the drive. Its the same thing with our cars, always want that next thing so we work for it and its that much sweeter. I just dont understand spending so much time on something not tangable.

if they can't 'do better' or do.. 'something' in the real world, it gives them some satisfaction doing well in a make believe world..

I find that offensive :shock: i don't play like i used to, but whats wrong in having a pass time. People who collect comics may think you waste your money on a car that is always going to depreciate (lets not get into semantics's like a 250 GTO)

Each to their own....though i will admit i ran into more than my fair share of freaks playing that game *Shudders*

Guest TeamNissan

Ya, there is nothing wrong with playing the game. I play age of empires 3 and warhammer 40k online. Its where you draw the line.

Oh I didn't mean to be ofensive man, I've just met a few people who take it as more than 'a pastime' and realy believe it actually MEANS SOMETHING IN THE REAL WORLD! :lol: Heck, I work on cars and don't think it makes me better than someone else, it's just something I do.. It's all to 'clickey' and highschool-ish for me to buy into.. just mho. :)

Guest CrusaderT2

My datsun club showed me this thread hoping that I would quit wow, which I wont but hey I thought I would pipe in and give the "other side" perspective. I played long ago and I quit (yes!) when I bought a restored 280Z and then a 2nd one, and started going on the aftermarket buyout spree and started enjoying racing/autocross ect. Then one day, I met my old friends who played wow (noes :cry:).

Here is the thing, if you play wow you can pick up on other people playing wow its like an amazing radar. I go to LSU (louisiana state university) literally 15% of the population of the 60k there play wow. I hear it on the bus at school in class blah blah. 3 of my professors (eletrical engineering) play as well. The sheer volume is obsurd I think.

Anyway i broke down and now I play again due to peer pressure. My friends cry cause I havent touched my car in 2 months.

The whole drive to it is competativeness. There is something called PVP (player versus player). where the whole point of the game is to ruin the other guy's day. Via killing him, screwing him over or whatever. It is very fun i should say. Kinda like drag racing civics with your V8 datsun or L28ET.

The addiciton comes when you have to play the game. When I say have to, it is when you meet a bunch of people online and they play all the time. You dont play as much but you will be "left out" if you arent with them all the time. You want to be with them so eventually you start playing too much and bam, now your in the endless cycle. Literally at one point before I met the datsun guys in baton rouge, I would want to do something one night and none of my friends would want to go cause everyone of them was playing wow.

Get this, now they sell it like crack too! I saw at the store you can buy it for ONE DOLLAR. Then you go online and its a limited account where you cant do everything. Then the company offers you free stuff, like awesome gear to make you level super fast. but they are like "oh man your on trail account I cant trade with you, you need to upgrade!". Well you upgrade to a full account and pay the fee (30 dollars and subscrition fee 15/month) and then that cool guy vanishes! Man dirty ninja tricks.

In conclusion, wow is a fun thing, its highly highly addictive. If you play cool, just be warned dont start staying up till 4am playing or the "I gotta finish this level" bullcrap. Better yet just dont play unless your a hardcore gamer, which you probably dont have time for cars and wouldnt be reading this post in the 1st place since you would probably be playing wow already.

Moral of story? Wow = bad.

My datsun club showed me this thread hoping that I would quit wow...

Anyway i broke down and now I play again due to peer pressure...

Moral of story? Wow = bad.

Man, thats really funny!!! :mrgreen: Sorry, but I just have to laugh at that post. Like coming into an AA meeting for the first time, "I'm CrusaderT2 and I'm a Worlds of Warcrack addict..."

LOL! Man, I just find this sadistically funny and I'm sure you're being honest. Sorry, truly *ahem*, really.

Davy

Man, thats really funny!!! :mrgreen: Sorry, but I just have to laugh at that post. Like coming into an AA meeting for the first time, "I'm CrusaderT2 and I'm a Worlds of Warcrack addict..."

LOL! Man, I just find this sadistically funny and I'm sure you're being honest. Sorry, truly *ahem*, really.

Davy

hey dave, i play WoW every day :)

Guest CrusaderT2

no point in hiding it anyway. Just cause you play alot doesnt mean its that bad. its when it affects your real life seriously. aka, you drop out of college, lose your job, or lose your wife/girlfriend.

You laugh, go look up "Wow widows" there is a support group for chicks who lost their husbands to that game. Now that is where any sane person should draw the line. Ironically, Ive known people who lost their wives to their cars (most of the stories ive heard were of corvette widows) too.. intersting trend =/

Also look up everquest money makers. I funded my 10k rice rocket (civic) project from that game alone.