HybridZ

Calling All LT1 Conversions

Project Started last weekend, Still haven't decided on the 95 LT1 motor or the 383 old school stroker motor, Trans is going to be the 95 T56. Maybe if the cost to adapt the stroker is not too much I will try that first and then try the LT1 after. From what I have read so far I will have less wiring to deal with on the strroker motor and can then wire for the LTI after where it would be tougher to wire for the LT1 first and then take it all out for the stroker. does this make sense? Some day it will probably be an LT1 stroker!

Greg

OH, Pictures are in my gallery album.

The two donor cars are Firebirds, an 88 Trans Am with the 383 Stroker and 700R4 trans, and a 95 Formula LT1/T56 with unknown mods, fast as hell, I can see headers and a complete Borla exhaust system underneath.

Greg,

Wiring the 383 would be much easier no doubt. Just follow the JTR book and you can't go wrong. I just don't have the time to do my own harness (LT1) so I sent it away to jeff at PCMamerica.com and should be getting it back next week. The T56 that you are going to use on the 383 might be a different story. I believe you need a special bellhousing to mate it up to the 383 block as the input shaft on the t56 is different from the T5. It is not just a bolt on. Production VS aftermarket T56

Danno74Z

Danno,

Yeah I did some searching and bookmarked a lot of the discussions about this on HybridZ a few months back and I need to go back and read them all again but the impression left in my mind goes as follows:

93-97 T56 from the LT1 will blt directly up to any 1986 SBC or later one piece rear seal block, just use an LT1 flywheel

98-2002 from an LS1 will not go , the input shaft is longer, a kit from Weir products and others is available or use a LT1 bellhousing and a spacer.

Where I am still confused if the Pre 1986 two piece rear main seal blocks and what flywheel to use. Or to throw another twist is my Stroker, it is a 400 SBC crank and needs the external balanced flywheel, I haven't pulled the motor out yet so can't get at the casting number to see if it is a Pre/Post 86, one or two piece rear main seal. so finding the right flywheel, pilot bearing, will be key I am guessing as long as it is the same 153 tooth size as the LT1??

I don't know I have to do more searching and reading to narrow down the questions

Danno,

Yeah I did some searching and bookmarked a lot of the discussions about this on HybridZ a few months back and I need to go back and read them all again but the impression left in my mind goes as follows:

93-97 T56 from the LT1 will blt directly up to any 1986 SBC or later one piece rear seal block, just use an LT1 flywheel

98-2002 from an LS1 will not go , the input shaft is longer, a kit from Weir products and others is available or use a LT1 bellhousing and a spacer.

Where I am still confused if the Pre 1986 two piece rear main seal blocks and what flywheel to use. Or to throw another twist is my Stroker, it is a 400 SBC crank and needs the external balanced flywheel, I haven't pulled the motor out yet so can't get at the casting number to see if it is a Pre/Post 86, one or two piece rear main seal. so finding the right flywheel, pilot bearing, will be key I am guessing as long as it is the same 153 tooth size as the LT1??

I don't know I have to do more searching and reading to narrow down the questions

When I was thinking about going with a T56 I found this site:

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/t56_early_gm.html

Hope it helps some.