HybridZ

A/C system from mazda miata into 240z

karl

So I was at the pick and pull today and pulled the entire a/c system to include fan, evap, and heater air control thing that makes air go to different ducts. Has anyone installed a complete system like this in their zcar. It is three separate under dash pieces that work off cables to redirect air, I also have that dash piece. Anyway I'm about to start a 7mgte swap and a/c is a must down here in south Louisiana, so while I have the car down I would like to try this, plus all the parts from the 2000 miata were only $100 bucks. So does anyone know if these parts will physically fit under the dash?? Wish me luck. Thanks

Karl

I think it would be easier to use a complete air con set up off the 74 to 78 s30 z cars, as they came with them from the factory and everything fit perfectly...

I once installed a oem a/c unit from a 78 z into a 70z. I just had to fab up very few parts to make it fit/ work.

BTW, where in La. are you at?

Hello Soileau, I've been watching your zbuild for a while. I just retired from the military after 21 yrs service and moved back home to Prairieville, just a couple miles from Baton Rouge. My uncle was once the district attorney of L.C. and some of my family lived there, nice place from what I remember. Does the z system cool well enough down here when the temp is 100 & humidity is also 100 percent. I'm going to make this my daily driver, so cold a/c is a must in the summer. Thanks for your reply

Karl

There is quite a bit of room to work with under the Z dash. Of course, it does require the removal of the dash for fabbing up the mounts. The Miata is so small it seems reasonable that it should fit in there. By default, it should perform a lot better than the 70's a/c offered from the factory. It just a matter of making measurements to ensure the evaporator/heater core/fan assembly will fit into the space allowed. Keep us updated and please take lots of detailed pictures to post.

I think it would be easier to use a complete air con set up off the 74 to 78 s30 z cars, as they came with them from the factory and everything fit perfectly...

The trouble I've had with the AC in 74-78 Z's is the expansion valve. I've got 2 that are shot and I haven't been able to find replacements. A substitute isn't easy since the factory valve has 3 or 4 ports.

A replacement evaporator with expansion valve would be awesome considering I have 4 newly rebuilt compressors and new dryers.

Karl, definately let us know how this turns out!

• 6 years later...

So I was at the pick and pull today and pulled the entire a/c system to include fan, evap, and heater air control thing that makes air go to different ducts. Has anyone installed a complete system like this in their zcar. It is three separate under dash pieces that work off cables to redirect air, I also have that dash piece. Anyway I'm about to start a 7mgte swap and a/c is a must down here in south Louisiana, so while I have the car down I would like to try this, plus all the parts from the 2000 miata were only $100 bucks. So does anyone know if these parts will physically fit under the dash?? Wish me luck. Thanks

Karl

I know its an old thread but any updates Karl?

• 9 months later...

Ya, but the 260-280 dash (& ducting & firewall) was designed for A/C and factory installed Air was an option here in the U.S.A..  Here in the U.S.A., the 240 didn't have a factory installed A/C option - that's always been the conundrum...  If your 260 / 280 didn't come with factory Air, it's always been far easier to install an aftermarket unit than in a 240, here in the U.S.A..

edited to be Internationally correct and not so damn America-centric...  Thanks to Tony D for pointing out the error of my mistake again on this point. 

Edited by cgsheen

Why doesn't anybody try the Geo Metro System? Comparable interior volume, VERY small components... And a Compressor about the size of and AIR pump!

I went and poked around some GEO forums and it seems they don't think they work that well.  So those may not be the best choice either.

Cary

Guess I'll close this thread out. The Mazda a/c system is to large for the 240z interior. I put in the vintage Air gen II mini system and it fits like it was made for the car.

I would be interested to see any pictures you have or to hear what you thought of the kit you used. I am thinking more and more that I might light to do one of these universal systems later this year if they work well. Partially to get AC, partially to give me a chance to design a new control unit to free space up on my dash if possible.

Ya, but the 260-280 dash (& ducting & firewall) was designed for A/C.  The 240 wasn't - that's always been the conundrum...  If your 260 / 280 didn't come with factory Air, it's always been far easier to install an aftermarket unit than in a 240.

Methinks you are incorrect. An In-Dash Factory A/C System was an offering from DAY ONE in the S30 Chassis, and mechanically it's almost identical to the 280Z system, just shaped a bit differently to fit in the confines of the 240 Dash... It was just never offered in the US of A due to 'Sportscars not having A/C' mentality.

I went and poked around some GEO forums and it seems they don't think they work that well.  So those may not be the best choice either.

Cary

I ended up living in a Geo Metro during June / July in Reno and it seemed to work great for me (dark blue metallic car, no less!) and that experience was what got me thinking about it. Especially after I saw the size of the compressor and started thinking about weight savings...

When you calculate the interior volume and greenhouse on a Z compared to a Metro the Z is actually noticeably smaller. 

I currently have a Suzuki Every 660 Turbo... and it has that same dinky compressor, and it will idle and keep the front seat passengers cool on a hot Manila day...much to my surprise. Yes, it runs all the time...but I think the actual limitation might be the condenser. My van had a leak, and I replace it with a unit from some Korean 13 passenger van. Same Evaporator, same fan... But it seems that the big condenser and self-cooling fan on it (it's in the back where the spare tire normally resides) keeps it cool just fine. And my girlfriend actually complains it 'blows too cold' when we're running down the road at 35mph (50kph). 

I think a lot of this stuff relating to poor performance is condenser, and fan sizing related, (and with Aftermarket Systems the way the evaporator was suck-through instead of blow-through.) 

Really, as long as you have sufficient fan sizing to assure enough air changes through the evaporator, it will cool the interior. The key and where I see shortfalls is the condenser setup not being ducted and getting proper airflow across it. The passenger vans here almost all use horizontally mounted condensors under the floor with dedicated  fans blowing on them based on a pressure switch. To improve the system, most guys put a switch to run the fans continuously and boost condenser efficiency. 

You can only cool the evaporator to 35 degrees F or so.... meaning you just have to blow over it more air to cool it down. If you have more condenser volume to make LPL (low pressure liquid) and supply your orifice or expansion valve...it will have plenty of refrigerant to chill the interior.

My big thought was the Metro possessed a small component package that could fit in the space behind the Z-Dash, and then from there, the rest could be sourced wherever. My van's compressor runs A LOT... but it also cools the interior of a small kei van to 70 when it's 92 outside and not in direct sunlight (full top moonroof and dark blue paint...) If in direct sunlight at idle, the front passengers  will be in 70F, the back two in the cargo area just under 77, and behind them 80-84. If I put a curtain up behind the rear seats, everybody is in the 72-75 comfort zone. If I close the roof shade, the interior temperature drops as well.

BTU's in, BTU's transferred, BTU's out. Balanced properly, THAT is the tricky part!