HybridZ

My Free Widebody Project

G.I.jonas

After starting my thread concerning blue ovals car i became obsessed with starting on my cars body however,A. I havnt enough money right now for body kits and B. I dont really like the looks of most of them.I have always been a fan of the squared off look when it comes to cars rather than the bubbly imsa flare kind of look.With a little planning and a lot of balls i jumped into making my car a full 3" wider on both sides of the rear using only the existing body parts and simply spacing them out accordingly,and of course adding some steel to make it possible....why didnt i think of this a long time ago:icon50: The included pics show my progress over the past 12 hours or so,basically one side of the rear is done as far as the metal work is concerned,next the other side and then the front where i plan on 1.5"-2" rather than the full 3" in the rear.I am also planning on adding some cool venting and whatnot after i am done,then its time to glass it and mud it all to finish things up,oh also i have to bring the rocker panels out to meet the new width but no biggy.After the widebody is done i'll probably get back to getting my engine swap all buttoned up which unfortunately requires some cash:mad:

1.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

S3600006-1.jpg

S3600004-1.jpg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow that looks pretty damn good.... i wonder what it would have looked like if you would have brought the rear in an inch closer for a more rounded off look that would keep more with the cars original lines... but it looks really nice and i can't wait to see what it looks like when it gets done

you should modify the rear lights, or get some 2+2 rear lights since they are already wider and put htem in tehre so to people not in the know it looks factory.

how are you going to merge it into the doors? and you doing the same thing up the front?

*opps sorry should of read what you had written lol, i vote for just spacing out the fronts and leaving the gap at the front of the doors like that car which there are pics of on this site, but no one seems to know anything about it...

Actually im not sure if i want to merge with the doors,i know that sounds silly to some but i have a picture in my head..i swear its cool.Im thinking about cutting into the new front section at the door jam and putting some kind of air vent,then doing something similar in the rear kind of like the mystery z only less squarish.

Thats looking really cool, I like that look alot. The rear-end is looking really good. Seeing as your doing all that body work have you thought of merging in a motorcycle style gas cap fuel door. I was thinking sort of along the lines of the ones on the newer vipers and eclipse, the silver flush ones. Just an idea, might help keep things smooth.

Thats looking really cool, I like that look alot. The rear-end is looking really good. Seeing as your doing all that body work have you thought of merging in a motorcycle style gas cap fuel door. I was thinking sort of along the lines of the ones on the newer vipers and eclipse, the silver flush ones. Just an idea, might help keep things smooth.

If you decide to take this route here is what one of the local guys here did: Go to a motorcycle wrecking yard and purchase the entire tank (cost about $70) then cut the gas cap/filler neck out of the tank using your fuel door as a guide. You now have a piece that will fit right into the existing fuel filler box in your fender and you can attach the existing fuel hose to the filler neck after everything is welded in. Of course you do have to cut out the original fuel filler box (inside the fender) in order for this to work and when you are done it looks like it came from the factory that way.

Dragonfly

Hmm... i do like that look too,what to do now:confused: .I must say thanks to all for the compliments,really makes me want to get this done,However i regret to say like most of my projects this may take a while,especially now that i have been given additional ideas to tinker with.BTW im not to good with tire sizing,can anyone suggest what maximum tire i should be able to fit with 3" widening? i am going to get 5 lug conversions and have been looking at some 17x11's for mustangs,however i may be way off on the fitment.

IMO if you can squeeze the rear of the new quarters in they would look better. However if you like the way it looks you definitely have to custom make the tail light panel to match that rear. I am in the process of doing the same thing but I am using the Porsche 944 quarter panels. Sorry don't have any pictures yet. Very good ideas and works. Good luck.

V.

The metal work looks like it's being well done and I certainly commend your efforts. Thanks for the pics BTW.

It's been said, "Anyone can modify a car, but it takes a real man to cut one up!"

Davy