HybridZ

worth starting a project with?

teucer

Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster. Been looking for a z project a while now, and then this came up:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/car/288394035.html

I went to see it yesterday. Brought my camera but forgot to take pictures :rolleyes:

the bad:

The battery tray and lower firewall area are rusted out and need to be replaced. The passenger front frame rail needs to be replaced too, and part of the passenger floorboard.

the good:

The battery tray is the only rust on the car. No body damage at all, the chrome is in good shape, all the running gear seems to be in good condition (the owner is offering a money back guarantee if something doesn't work as well as I want it).

I don't mind doing body work, and I was planning on doing a frame up resto anyway. I figure I can get this car for a song.

So any of you guys who have done the battery tray/firewall replacement before: would you do it again? Is it worth fixing on a car that is otherwise perfect?

Do you have a garage?

Are you married?

Do you know what the "while I'm at it syndrome is"?

Are you prepared at this time next year to still not have driven the car once?

The list goes on but Go for it and be prepared...:wink:

An after thought... About a week after you buy it you see the same type running /drivable car for sale that requires 80% less money and effort to complete.

LARRY

the bad:

The battery tray and firewall area are gone and need to be replaced. The passenger front frame rail needs to be replaced too, and part of the passenger floorboard.

He removed them for fun? There is not rust apparently and it's never been in an accident, so why no firewall or passenger frame rail? Makes no sense to me. The only appealing thing is the "no rust" and "all parts are there."

Davy

I'd look for rust everywhere, especially where the front section mates with the rest of the unibody. Also, some things to consider are what modifications have been made to the fuel system and the drivetrain. This turbo was installed as a kit? Is it EFI or blow through?

If you're planning on doing a ground up resto anyway, this sounds like your type of project. The disassembly has pretty much been done for you.

He removed them for fun? There is not rust apparently and it's never been in an accident, so why no firewall or passenger frame rail? Makes no sense to me. The only appealing thing is the "no rust" and "all parts are there."

Davy

Sorry, they're actually there but need to be replaced.

This turbo was installed as a kit? Is it EFI or blow through?

Turbo was actually suck-through, single carb mounted between the turbo and the air intake.

I think I'll take cozy z cole's afterthought to heart and give it a miss. The rust is just too scary. It was soooo close to being the one!