HybridZ

280zx wont start

tybaldo

hey... i got a problem after i finish rebuilding my engine a put it back in the car, i plug every connector where they suppouse yo go, i have spark, distributor is timed, got fuel, and im getting power to all my electronics. What could be the problem. engine crank and cranks but no start. Please help. i need to get it running before the end of this month

try disconnecting the fuel pump. hold the throttle wide open and see if she fires. let it crank a good bit. I had the same problem and it was basically flooded from putting fuel in. Do you smell gas at the tail pipe? spent many an hour checking spark, timing fuel pressure etc. Wide open throttle no fuel pump and she finally cranked. If you get it to start do it again until you don't get any fire then reconnect fuel pump and she should run. If you get no fire this way then recheck timing, fuel pressure, plug wires. pull all the plugs lay then on the block and see it they are all firing nice fat blue spark.

If you are sure you have spark and fuel then check the air supplly you need those three things to make fire. If sparking at wrong time then you don't get fire. Did you try cranking a long time with no fuel and throttle wide open. I don't mean two or three turns let it go 20 seconds or so. Look at where TDC is on crank pulley. Look at where rotor in dizzy is pointing. Should point to a mark on the dizzy body. Pull oil cap and look at #1 cylinder cam lobes they should both be pointing up and out kinda like bunny ears. You can also get a TDC on the crank pulley where the #1 cyl is actually on exhaust stroke finish. Remember crank speed is twice cam speed. Check the firing order in the fsm. something wrong with timing if all above correct and no fire.

do you mean the air regulator, because i removed it. seconde my dizzy is a 81 turbo. the other night i toke the front cover out and adjust the timing and now i got backfire cpming from the emergency relief valve. how come!!!! don't knoiw what to do .

81 dizzy takes the firing signal off the gear looking thing by the crank pulley. If this is not in correct place then your timing is off. You need to look at fsm and figure this out. too complicated to explain here. timing definitely off if you are getting backfire. she is firing at the wrong place in the cycle.

my cam was one tooth out of time. but it still have a like missfire in idle. same missfire i have before i rebuild the engine. what can it be ?

Poor CTS connection perhaps? Go back to basics, go here and download the "EFI Bible" and perform ALL the tests involved, and find your issue. I think you have established that it wasn't a motor issue.

i just rebuilt mine also and it wouldnt start then when it did the car idled hard and miss fired found out that the timming was way off and the tps was gone on it. I would double check your timming on it just to be safe and u not looking at a fadded line like i was.:-D