HybridZ

L28et Swap into a 240z, difficult?

wanganZ

I was not trying to tell you what to do only to watch out. The power of a women will make you do all kinds of crazy things!

you know' date=' einstien did nothing after he got married.

jimbo[/quote']

Huh? There's new evidence to show that Eienstein's first wife collaborated with and might have even co-wrote his 1905 papers.... anyway, if you got the time, money and health, work on your car now........ the future is always uncertain and enjoy it while you can

haha im a full time student too and just turned 19 and my Z is still stock and slow:cry2: being a full time student is killing me and honestly i hate it, almost don't want to go to school for a while and just go back in a year or so...hopefully by the end of this month though, if everything goes right (as in i get hired somewhere!) my N/A motor will be turbo (theres not a single turbo 280zx or junker L28ET in FL!!!)...and if everything does go right i wont throw a rod or blow my head;-) Man Ive waiting for the day I drive my car past some punk kid in SRT4 and blow off in his face since i was 16...cant wait!

JDMFairladyZX at my local junk yard I have 2 99% complete 280zxT'S AND WILL be going there next weekend. I also have my family in west palm so let me know if you need some thing from them also my dad and his friends have (9-12) l28/ l28t motors and parts.

JDMFairladyZX at my local junk yard I have 2 99% complete 280zxT'S AND WILL be going there next weekend. I also have my family in west palm so let me know if you need some thing from them also my dad and his friends have (9-12) l28/ l28t motors and parts.

Benjamin? or Brandon? cuz beau lives in town, right?

its shawn carey.

Guest HBZ81

im going to hijack and somewhat bring this thread back by asking this question:

Since I'm swapping my trusty l28et from my rusty 280zx into a series 1 240z that i just got (good body, dead engine), do I have to get a custom driveshaft and would it be good (in sense of it being an easy job and/or upgrade) to swap the rear diff/ends as well?

are you going to use the turbo (borg warner) tranny? If so I would recomend against it. From what I've read that one isnt as good at the zx N/A 5 speed. since you have a 240 then your diff should be a 3:54 and with a N/A 5 speed you can use the stock 240 drive shaft, I did. Now if your gonna swap out to a different diff then you should go with the 3:90 and you will need the mustach bar that goes with it. and then I don't know if you will need the different drive shaft. I wouldn't think so the drive shafts are different lengths if I remember correctly so a ZX wont fit on a Z, but I could be remembering wrong.

Ok that my 2 cents take if for what its worth.

P.S. if your gonna use the N/A tranny just use you stock 4 speed shifter and you won have to trim the trans tunel. If you go with the turbo tranny your gonna have to trim the trans tunnel

Guest HBZ81
are you going to use the turbo (borg warner) tranny? If so I would recomend against it. From what I've read that one isnt as good at the zx N/A 5 speed. since you have a 240 then your diff should be a 3:54 and with a N/A 5 speed you can use the stock 240 drive shaft, I did. Now if your gonna swap out to a different diff then you should go with the 3:90 and you will need the mustach bar that goes with it. and then I don't know if you will need the different drive shaft. I wouldn't think so the drive shafts are different lengths if I remember correctly so a ZX wont fit on a Z, but I could be remembering wrong.

Ok that my 2 cents take if for what its worth.

P.S. if your gonna use the N/A tranny just use you stock 4 speed shifter and you won have to trim the trans tunel. If you go with the turbo tranny your gonna have to trim the trans tunnel

Im trying to decide which would be better my 280zx turbo 5speed or the 5speed from the s30. I cant really afford to go get another transmission, i just want to do the easiest swap with what i have

Im trying to decide which would be better my 280zx turbo 5speed or the 5speed from the s30. I cant really afford to go get another transmission, i just want to do the easiest swap with what i have

Easiest would be to use the S30 trans, then you don't have to modify the tranny mount and can use the S30 driveshaft.

Guest HBZ81
Easiest would be to use the S30 trans, then you don't have to modify the tranny mount and can use the S30 driveshaft.

Ok, so with the 280zx tranny i'll need a custom driveshaft? Yes? And I guess it should bolt right up to the L28

Guest HBZ81

I guess I left out that I have an 82 280zx 5speed, so it's not the borg-warner t5...

if that makes any difference

I guess I left out that I have an 82 280zx 5speed, so it's not the borg-warner t5...

ok so does that mean my 1982 turbo 280zx 5speed will be just fine? that's my current main question

Now you are saying you have a turbo 5-speed. Which is it? Do you or do you not have a turbo 5-speed?

Guest HBZ81
Now you are saying you have a turbo 5-speed. Which is it? Do you or do you not have a turbo 5-speed?

Actually I did say what I had:

My engine donor car is a 1982 280zx Turbo 5speed

(i forgot my car isnt listed in my sig on this site)

Einstein did nothing after he got married because his wife just married him in order to publish her papers under his name. There were many times when he couldn't answer in-depth questions on them.

On-topic - marriage should never be a compromise. Rational minds have no conflicts of interest.

Actually, you contradicated yourself, because you said "I guess I left out

that I have an 82 280zx 5speed, so it's not the borg-warner t5..."

You need to be more clear in the future. If you have a 1982 280zx turbo 5-speed donor car, you have a T-5 transmission. The T-5 transmission will require that you shorten the driveshaft the 240z driveshaft and modify the transmission mount in a 240z, assuming you keep the 240z differential.

Guest HBZ81
Actually, you contradicated yourself, because you said "I guess I left out

that I have an 82 280zx 5speed, so it's not the borg-warner t5..."

You need to be more clear in the future. If you have a 1982 280zx turbo 5-speed donor car, you have a T-5 transmission. The T-5 transmission will require that you shorten the driveshaft the 240z driveshaft and modify the transmission mount in a 240z, assuming you keep the 240z differential.

Yeah maybe I did, but whatever it's all cleared up now.

http://geocities.com/zgarage2001/ says that only the 83 had the borg-warner T5.

Can I swap in the 280 differential and not have to modify the driveshaft (if I use the 280 tranny)?

Can I swap in the 280 differential if I use the 240 tranny and not have to modify the driveshaft?