HybridZ

sbc headers in a zx.

Ok, first off thanks for all the information, links and insight.

I am going to make my own motormounts,now that I have the diminsions.

although, I dont want to make my own driver side exhaust manifold.

is there a company who sells a block hugger header for the zx swap?

also I have a question about gearing, I currently have a 4.11 in my zx, with a borg warner t5 out of a Iroc will my gearing be to steep for freeway driving,. the engine is cammed, 2-6k power pand.

or should I put my original 3.90 back in.. thanks

Jeremy.

I'm doing a ZX swap myself here in San Diego, and the first thing I did was use the search function for headers. The 2 main problems being of course the steering box being in the way, and ZX's were first made in '79, making them a smog issue. Just 2 "little" obstacles. Now duck, and look out for flames. :icon46:

Ok the motor mounts I am making are a copy of the MSA mounts.

going to use their headers.

also any info on my gearing setup? I think it will be fine but I have never ran this setup on the highway. the rear end I have in my z is a 4.11 and I am using a 5 speed out of a Iroc

am wondering in 5th gear if it will still be to low for freeway driving, or if I should use my 3.90, which came stock.

thanks for the info. my came range is 2-6k. its a erson cam.

This is just a shameless plug for JTR ZX V8 mounts.

When using the MSA mounts, the shifter will be about 2" forward of the stock shifter hole. With the JTR mounts, the shifter will be further rearward, so less cutting of the shifter hole is required, and the shifter position will appear closer to stock.

When using the power steering box (non-rack and pinion), the 1982-1992 Camaro exhaust manifold can be used on the driver's side.

When using the rack and pinion steering (manual or power assist), I know of no headers, other than ours, that will fit.

I would avoid the 3.9 gears and try to find the 3.54 R-200.

Overdrive on the V8 Camaro T5 is normally .73, but some models came with .63 overdrive.

This topic has been gone over again and again, read Mike's post carefully, it is the way it is, there are NO magic solutions, If you mix and match parts for the swap you'll end up spending more in the long run on parts that won't fit, alot of wasted time also.

I made a post dated May 17 2001 04:26 PM Subject: ZX SBC using MSA mounts. (just checked and it's still there). There are some lessons learned on various piece/parts for an 83 that has Power R&P; including the driver's side hedder. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to provide any help I can. My car has been running now for 6 years, is reliable and runs in the 11s. There are also a few photos on the "Album".. Good luck..