HybridZ

insurance on my Z

typhoone

today I got my father to call our insurance company, allstate, to find out just how much the insurance is going to cost. I figured since it is a 6 cylinder turbo-charged car that I would be looking at about 200 - 250. well, he calls them up and the magic number is.......$90 every 6 months. that blew my mind and made my day. hell, I am going to try to have it registered and insured by next week. :-) just thought i'd say that.

-typhoone

I am 20, on my dad's account since I still live there while I am in college, have the good student and drivers ed. discounts, and 2 other cars already on there. :wink: I love loopholes and discounts. but if it makes u feel any better my eclipse's insurance is 465.56 every sx months.

Here's one for you. Geico, Allstate, Progressive, State Farm, Esurance, etc offer insurance for 49 states. Massachusetts is the ONE state they don't insure. When I was in CA and TX, my insurance for my cars was between 200-532 dollars. All were sporty cars (coupes, stick, etc). My 86 Buick, when I was 20, was insured for 1900 dolloars every six months in MA. Apparently, Boston's a great place to be from, but not to be...

I don't mean to be a downer, but they may be insuring you so cheaply because the policy is a "stated value" policy and their depreciation table shows the 85 ZX to not be very valuable cash-wise. That means that any damage over the value they place on the car (maybe $1-2k), they just deem it totaled and give you their estimated "value."

For example, I can get my very nice '68 Camaro "insured" for about $25 every six months on some policies... but they state the value of the car at only around $1,500. Practically any fender-bender and they would call it totaled.

Mine wasn't liability, but was an estimate under my fathers insurence :P forgot to mention that.

I've read somewhere that salvaging a "totaled" status car, the insurence policy is higher, correct?

edit: not policy, sorry. Ment to say premiums.