HybridZ

350 or 383 stroker ?

Just a question im gonna build me another engine and i am wondering is it any benifit at all to build a 383 stroker with a weiand super charger on it which i have at the moment on a stock 350 or keep the crank stock and just bore the block out say 40 over and use the super charger ?

Ive got some people i know saying " do a blown 383 with roller lifters and rockers and such . Use dished pistons and run about 12 pounds of boost "

Rite now i have a stock 350 had 230 horses at the crank when i bought it all i did was add a super charger no cam no lifters nothing all stock and i now have 300 horses at the tire with 7 pounds of boost . Im starting over new because i need my z as a daily driver so i cant rebuild the new engine that is in it as it needs rings .

Jason

383 with the old school roots will run good of course, buddy had a farm truck that was 3600lbs with a 383 stock block and crank and TRW pistion, the heads were alum but nothing trick, 671 with 12lbs. He ran a 10.5 and than the next pass twisted the rearend { 10 bolt } so bad it sit 2" higher on the right in the rear { the spring bent as well }. Roots are tourqe monsters of the line but give a little on the big end, not that big of a deal really.

Im looking for off the line just god ole 1/4 mile power what a bummer to twist a rear end ouch . ive never had any misfortune like that thankfully just electrical problems and some carb problems . Of course my super charger is smaller just a 144 series . So far ive gotten my " bang for my buck " 1,800$ for the thing and i gained 100 crank horses .

Jason

• 4 months later...

How much HP you get depends on the heads, cam, and of course whether or not the shortblock can handle it. 1000 to 1200HP is not uncommon with a blown 350 depending on fuel. Edwards engines built one last year that I personally watched make 1000+HP on the engine dyno, had LA ent. crank, crower steel rods, JE blower pistons, Dart Pro 1 alum heads, solid roller cam, 2 - 4bbl carbs. Buddy has a 1200+HP blown 350 with and enderle bug catcher on it for 10K complete. Ran 6.90's at over 200mph in a 1850lb dragster. I think that equates to about 1150 to the wheels. Stock block, steel crank, alum rods, blower pistons (9:1 comp), Dart sportsman 2 heads (pro ported), roller cam, 6-71 race blower, enderle, on alky.