HybridZ

Im Gonna Go CRAZY!!!

ONE thing after another for me guys... I've drove the car "putt putting" around the yard... road...etc.. today i went to drive it down the road.. ive never drove it fast enough to change gears and guess what... it DOESN'T. i dont know if my TV cable is set wrong or WHAT! its a 700r4 freshly rebuilt with kevlar clutches (racing kit) beast sun gear shell and a few other goodies i cant remember... i get up to RPM where i feel it should change gears... it doesnt at all... if i wind it up more the tranny slips bad... and then when it gets almost back to idle rpm again feels like it starts grabbing again... i started the engine w/o fluid in the converter someone mentioned this would burn up the converter... sound like thats the problem? i hope not! this car is driving me crazy lol... and to beat all.. i cant even go to SEZ. my fiance has to work and i have no one to watch the kid... the car doesnt look like it'd be running anyway but DAMN! i've busted my ass for a while (since i missed september SEZ) to get the car running and its like the Z gods just aint feelin' it..

Don't know if this applies, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

I put one of those fancy chrome pans on a TH350 I had in a hot rod a while back, and all of a sudden a bunch of shifting problems came up. The TV lever in the trans was hitting part of the pan and was only getting about 1/2 of its movement.

i didnt change the pan.. i have the tv cable set tight (with no throttle applied) soon as the throttle moves the tv cable moves... so i guess its right... i dont know..

*edit* also just tried not putting it in actual drive... just starting out in gear 1.. then manually shifting to gear 2... nothing.. same thing...

Darn, Shannan....that's the PITS!!! Sorry to hear that...you sure you have the TV cable adjusted right? it should be hooked to the part of the carb linkage on the opposite end (bottom) of where the throttle cable is attached so when you pull the throttle back, the TV cable should be pulling toward the front of the car. Was the trans built by a reputable shop or a private citizen?

Wayne

If you started the car with no fluid in the convertor, it's probly really low on fluid now! Once it starts pumping, (on startup) what fluid is there will try to go through the tranny but basicaly run dry.. I'd check the fluid level before anything else. ANY auto tranny I've ever seen that is low on/leaking fluid will ussualy act like that. Mind you, I've found 700r4's to really like to hang onto 1st gear for what seams like too long.. really winding it out and SLAMING into 2nd.. Oh, and I thoght the TV cable was supose to be set with the throttle held wide open?

well... i thought it could be fluid first also.. that was the first thing i checked. as far as it taking forever to shift i winded it up pretty high.. still nothing.. and then like i said when i did that it started slipping bad.. then when the rpms drop back down it grabs again.. and starts pulling again. it shifts into reverse fine.. and drive fine... it spins tires like hell in 1st but still sort of feels like its slipping when the RPMS go up high enough to really spin the tires ya know... i just dont get it... also i set the cable according to the link provided in this post... slid the cable forward.. pushed throttle wide open. it clicked 4-5 clicks and locked into place.. that is suppose to be set. still didnt shift... the guy that built my tranny (private citizen that owns a shop Wayne) put a shift kit in it.. said 1-2 shifts Hard 2-3 shifts hard but a little softer.. and 3-4 shifts the same as 2-3 .. i dont know.. may have to snatch it all out... check the converter etc.. and possibly take the tranny to a real tranny shop to see whats going on... any more suggestions are appreciated... BTW.. my buddy just got the steal of the year... '67 Mustang thats not in real bad shape.. for $300 bucks... and I may be getting a '71 firebird from the same guy for less than that! lol said he wants to get them out of his yard... glad he feels that way.

Easiest way I can think of to run air our of a tranny system is to have the drive wheels in the air (off the ground, with no way they can EVER touch, even if they were way out of balance and began jumping up and down), then run through all the gears a few times at idle/low throttle. Use the brakes to stop everything before shifting to park, reverse or changing direction (you knew that).:icon11:

Eventually, like with a garden hose, everything, including the converter should fill up; your fluid level may drop & need more.

Be sure the car is ENTIRELY stable so that it can't drop and the tires catch-- that is a recipe for disaster.

HTH, although by now this may not be the problem.

<>

im afraid by now its severely damaged the tranny and/or torque converter... i let someone borrow my hoist.. but monday or tuesday im going to pull the engine/tranny out... what are things i need to look for in the tranny other than the obvious (metal fragments etc) how would i tell that it's "burnt up" also i've heard the torque converter should only turn one way if you stick your finger in and turn the internals is this true?... i hope the tranny isnt shot.. got alot of money in it..

put the car back up in the air today... guess what... i dont have a neutral gear??? goes park.. reverse.. drive drive drive drive drive lol... its weird... so now im pretty sure its not something im doing... im pretty sure now the person that built my tranny did something wrong. guess i've gotta take the tranny to the shop now... geeze this sucks.... any comments on what could be wrong with these symptoms?

No Neutral gear

No 1-2 shift

Dont know about 2-3 or 3-4 because it wont come out of 1

When in 1st high revving causes slippage

pretty sure the guy who built it didnt put the shift kit in right or left SOMETHING out... possibly one of the balls?

Hey Shannan, can you spell 'boat anchor'?? :o Just kidding....gotta get that thing fixed....FYI, I didn't get the Gremlins out of the hotrod, so made two runs and quit...ran my truck and won 3 out of 4 against the cars....go figger..but pls remember what I said about the TV system and adjusting the cable.

Wayne

lol wayne.. i feel like really treatin it like a boat anchor and chunkin it in the nearest lake... BUT i've got a good bit of money in it and i've got ALOT more time than money. i adjusted the TV cable as stated in the links posted here... still no go... i dont see how neutral would be a drive gear instead of neutral unless he mixed something up.... that could be keeping the tranny from shifting into 2nd... i dont know.. lol im not a tranny guy... BTW my dad and uncle know the Godley guy that you said built your tranny. They got him to build one for their 71 firebird when they were racing it in cordele... like 10+ years ago..

...what are things i need to look for in the tranny other than the obvious (metal fragments etc) how would i tell that it's "burnt up" also i've heard the torque converter should only turn one way if you stick your finger in and turn the internals is this true?... i hope the tranny isnt shot.. got alot of money in it..

The stator is on an over running clutch, so it turns in only one direction.

I don't know how long a clutch pack has to slip to change fluid color and add that distinctive burned smell, but it doesn't take a whole lot of full throttle slipping to burn a clutch pack. (many horsepower being dissipated as heat).

Lack of shifting may have multiple causes... governor, vb gaskets leaking, balls, crud in the valve body, who knows? I've heard that some people don't like kevlar frictions because they might shed fibers to muck up valving (could be an old mechanic's tale).

Stock 200-4R pumps (similar to the one in your trans) can have trouble maintaining pressure at very high RPM; there's a fix kit for them.

Looks like a come-back for your transmission man. Good luck.

<>

Dunno alot about auto tranies but i've messed around w/ the TH350 and read a bunch about the 200 and 700R's before I decided on a manual for my Z. So I'll throw a coupld of things out there.

The TH350 has a vacum line to the valve body if you disconnect and PLUG it, it will change the VB to full manual, I'm pretty sure. (your 700R has one right or is it electronic?) So, if you remove the vacume or electric signal to the trans telling it when to shift, and disconnect the kick-down cable from the carb linkage, you should be able to shift it manually 1-2-3-OD and vice versa.

If you can shift manually, then your issue is in the adustment of the Kickdown or TV (always trying to kick down?) or the vacume / electric signal to the VB.

If you can't shift manually then the issue is probably in the tranny.

Keep checking the fluid for burning and low level, check it cold and hot untill you are POSITIVE there is enough in there.

EDIT: OH!!! and are you SURE you have the correct shifter and have it adjusted correctly? I can't imagine how you would not have Neutral unless the linkage is not adjusted correctly. It's esay to get the wrong hardware w/ an aftermarket "one size fits all" type shifter.

You should try putting the car in the air with someone in it to stop the wheels from turning with the brakes. Disconnect the shifting cable/linkage and try to shift the trans manually using your hand with the bracket that attaches to the trans itself. If it still doesn't shift, then it has to be internal trans issues. Good luck.