HybridZ

Anyone used a fuel pump from a late 60's Corvette w/ a 327 or have better suggestion?

I thought I posted this earlier before I went to work but it's not here or in the tool shed (haha). I ordered this pump but when I looked at it there's no fuel return and I thought I heard before that you should get one with a return because they are better for whatever reason. This pump said it was for a 327 with a holley. When we looked at the psi output charts it showed to be the highest one with 9psi at idle and 7 at WOT (I think WOT is what the lower rating was at). The others started at 7psi and their WOT was around 5. I can't justify paying close to $100 for a holley or edelbrock pump so I figured I would try a better stock one. Has anyone used this pump or does anyone have any suggestions which one to use. I'm only running a 670cfm carb on my 383 but every since I put the dual exhaust on it cuts out between 5.5k and 6k. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I run a Carter high volume pump on my Camaro, they're between $50 and $60 in Jegs or Summit. This pump has no return and the lower diaghram plate screws on so you can index it. It's on a 350 with a 750 Holley, I've run it clear up to 7k with no hickups.

If I was you, I would make certain that poor fuel flow was your problem. T a pressure guage into your line, get a passenger to watch the guage, and run through the gears, if you see a sudden drop in pressure then you know it's a fuel flow problem.

My guess, since you said it just started doing it after you added dual exhaust, is carb adjustment. Check the fuel level in the bowls. You may also be pushing the limits of your 670 carb.

This is on a ZX and I currently have a mechanical fuel pump on it.

I'm almost certain it is the fuel pump. I have raised the jettings on both ends with no change and earlier today I got on it and it fell flat on its face at 4.5k in 3rd after going through 2nd (then into 3rd). It would not accelerate at all until a second or two later when I guess the bowls filled back up. It was exactly like when you run out of gas. It would do this repeatedly, however if I started off in 3rd and got on it I could take it up to about 5.5k which was normal before. Regardless of whether or not you think it is the fuel pump (which I would bet some pretty good money that it is), I am simply trying to find a pump that is affordable but will do the job well. $19 seems like a steal so I guess I'll try it and return the one that I already bought. I would ASSume the Carter one would be better.