HybridZ

Sound proof the deck!

260zjade

i got a quick question...i need some kind of sound dampening material for my rear deck...i wanna be able to lay a sheet of rubber or sound proofing under the carpet in the deck to take some edge of my muffler and get rid of some rattling...anyone have a suggestion on a cheap substance or brand of sound proofing that i can get quickly?

Dynamat is suppose to be the bomb. It adhears to the metal damping the motion which helps keep it from vibrating and transmitting sound.

When I put my carpet in, I just got some rubber carpet pad from a dumpster behind a carpet store. Don't get much cheaper or readily available than that. I then glued some velcro to the carpet to hold it in place. Worked OK.

I have also read of other people who got rolls of quilted aluminum insulation from a home store and used that. They come in 16 and 24 inch widths.

all of these i think would work...how well does that aluminum stuff work...it looks like its for temp insulatioin...i want it as quiet as possible inside...i have a three inch pipe from the manifold so i want whatever will kill that and other sounds most...for a reasonable price...thanks guys!

how well does that aluminum stuff work...it looks like its for temp insulatioin

It works real well for radiant heat and does pretty good with the sound proofing if you attach it good with some 3M adhesive. I also put jute down with carpet over it all. I've only driven it 3 times since getting it put back together and that was just around the block, 15mph tops. I'll have to get back with you on how quiet it is on a real road.

The aluminum bubble pad has a claimed R value of 14, so it does a fairly good job as a thermal insulator. It will however do virtually nothing for noise, perticulary for low frequency (exhaust/road rumble).

The effective way to deal with noise control in these cars is to use a product such as Dyna Mat, or Roadkill and cover exposed metal surfaces throughly. These damping sheets are highly effective at controling vibrational energy transmitted from the chassis to the lightweight ridgid body panels, the vibration effectively turns them into speakers. This treatment will get rid of a lot of the buzzes that you hear in the car.

Low Frequency (exhaust/road rumble) noise control is different, and will require Mass.

For our purposes Mass will be carpet pad. If you want to be effective the carpet pad should have a barrier material of dense elastomer material usually 1/2 or 1 pound per square foot, attached to a damped close cell urethane foam. Overall thickness of this material is about 3/8 of an inch, and is easy to work with.

Using the damping sheet, the carpet pad, and a quality instalation will net you outstanding results.

I have been buying this stuff from Novicon USA (www.noviconusa.com).

Nice folks, and they have great prices.

ill look into that...i tried your link but my comp isnt connecting...so ill see if i can find another manufacturer...and ill make sure theres a barrier...what other kinds of applications are that type of material used for, or can i find it commercialy/locally (like alowes or something)?

I got some self adhesive rubber mat from McMaster Carr and it seems to work pretty well. I may have enough left to do another car, so if you'll pay the freight you can have the rest. (I'll double check tonite after work to see exactly what's there.)

Look into Fatmat. A LOT cheaper than Dynamat with practically the same sound insulation. I recently bought a 100 sq. ft of it and it should arrive any day. My interior is completely stripped and I plan on installing it everywhere. I will post how the results are afterwards.

Look into Fatmat. A LOT cheaper than Dynamat with practically the same sound insulation. I recently bought a 100 sq. ft of it and it should arrive any day. My interior is completely stripped and I plan on installing it everywhere. I will post how the results are afterwards.

Agreed, 100 sq feet will do a Z almost twice inside.

23 pounds isn't much at all. i sprayed dupli color truck bed lining on all the metal on the inside, cept the doors and hatch. I think its the best way to go if you got the car stripped down like that. Im going to lay some type of sound deadner like dynamat. thanks for the info

For the low frequency noise from the exhaust, you can use header wrap. When I put in a 3" ss exhaust, the noise in the cabin increased. I bought a roll of header wrap, and wrapped the section of the pipe that started at the tranny, and wrapped it back to the diff area. I used SS safety wire to secure it. It helped kill some of the droning sound. It was noticable, but not a cure all.

I have a combination of the aluminum foil that is attached to some type of jute. I don't remember the brand name. I saw a roll in a speed shop, and bought their last roll. I put it under the carpet, over the trans tunnel, and under the rear decking, and also lined the sparetire well, and the storage bins. The 280 still has the storage bins like the 240. They are just under the decking, and not functional, but the cavity is still there.

I plan on going a step further with my roll cage. I plan on drilling a few key holes, and filling it with some type of cavity filler. Sometimes I drive over sand/dirt/stones etc, and they echo throughout the roll cage. Really annoying.

Scott.

You might want to consider a butyl product made by Second Skin: (http://www.secondskinaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi Have installed it and it is GREAT.

If you want to know more than you ever thought possible about sound dampening... try this place: http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

After reading this, it was a no brainer for me and I went with Second Skin and am glad I did.