HybridZ

Smallest Turbo

24 oz

This isn't for a Z but It has to do with turbos so I hope it is ok to post this here. My dad and I are looking for ways to get more power out of his Suzuki DRZ400. The stroker and big bore kits I have found for it are more expensive than they are for my ford 302, so I was looking into a turbo for his DRZ. I was wondering where I could get my hands on a really small turbo that would work well with a 400cc engine. I am not even sure if there is a small enough turbo made. Any help would be great! Thanks

Brad

• Administrators

The “Smart car” turbo just might be THE ticket for your application. This little turbo is factory installed on a 700 CC three cylinder producing 61 HP. This would be an AWESOME Turbo for a small displacement single cylinder engine and these turbos are readily available.

TinyTurbo.jpg

Here is one of those turbos for sale...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170094280448

I have personally purchased a HUGE by LARGE Turbo from this eBayer, he is straight up and honest.

Here is the spec page on the car and engine this tiny turbo comes from..

http://www.smartcar101.com/specs.htm

JDM: The Kei Cars are limited to 600cc's, and many are 550cc's. There are all sorts of turbos, superchargers, and compound turbo/supercharger setups on the little beasts.

I had a Suzuki Alto Super-Turbo when I left Japan. DOHC with a turbocharged, intercooled, roots-blown 550CC two-cylinder that made something like 74HP. Yeah, the car was reeeeeally small, but for two people it was all you needed. It was larger than the Cervo I owned. That one had a big bore kit to 600CC's, and ran a 48IDA Weber and special reed valves....would rev (two stroke) like you wouldn't believe. Hoot to drive!

You guys are awesome, thanks for all the replys. The bike revs to about 10k I believe. I dont ride motorcycles, I stay with for wheels but my dad loves the bike it just doesnt have enough power in the straights. And he doesnt want to spend $1500 to stroke it and a big bore kit. So I told him I would turbo it for him when I finish the Z. I am going to Ireland on friday for rugby but I am gonna hassle him to order a turbo when I get back. I am really interested in the turbo from the Smart Car and can hopefully get him to order it, if not I am gonna order it for him lol. My only concern is that the exhaust manifold is one piece with the turbo, would that be wasy to fix? Thanks

Brad