HybridZ

280zxt 82 ...Hybrid t3 turbo HELP !!!!!

NISMO619

Hello everybody i just now got around to installing my hybrid turbocharger hears what i did to get the job done.

1 took off intake manafold bored out intake to 240sx throttle body 60mm ?

2 took off exhaust manafold and cleaned it out with throttle body stray

3 high temp coated exhaust manafold with 1500* spray paint.

4 New intake exhaust gasket.

5 i renstalled everything corretly.

6 car ran ok for the first 5 miles.

7 big problem car starts up but doesnt idel right car idels at 900 rpm just down to 150 rpm and barley stayes alive..

BIG QUESTION IS DO I HAVE TO " ADJUST " THE MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR ? MEENING TAKING OFF THE LITTLE BLACK BOX ON THE SIDE .. THEN ADJUSTING THE LITTLE BOLTS INSIDE ? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY HELP ! THANKS , KEN

P.S. IF U CAN E-MAIL ME WHITETIGER88101@YAHOO.COM

when the car is running on the road max boost hits 12psi at only 3,000 rpm tires barley stick to the ground in 1st 2nd 3 chrips the tires i havent been able to get the car out onto the freeway. Question is that was for the first 5 miles.

Now the car barley starts and jumps up and down in rpms. ive checked everything all hoses are tight and nice fit . Maybe its just a horrable hybrid turbo mis-hap ? any body please read this and help me out...

I have looked all through the t3 hybrid forums..... help is needed.

TPS throttle postion sensor is located on the side of the throttle body thats not a problem if its disconneted.

I think the problem lies inside the " mass air flow sensor located on the front left side of the raditor and between the left head light. "

Your TPS is disconnected? Why on earth is it disconnected? The ECU uses the TPS to determine the engine mode such as idling and make fuel and timing adjustments accordingly. A disconnected TPS can cause your symptoms.

If you are running with the stock 280 ECU, then you need the 280 throttle position sensor, NOT the one from the 240SX. the older Zs used a double switch for a TPS.. either Idling, Cruising, or WOT.. the newer ones (300ZX and 240SX both I believe) used a potentiometer style TPS.. basically a volume knob attached to the throttle shaft. TOTALLY different inputs and outputs, using the Pot-style TPS when you have an ECU that expects an older style TPS will not work.

240 sx throttle body TPS sensor i conected it and the car runs just fine with it on or off. Question about MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR. Can i ADJust it to make the run richer ? or leaner ? if so HOW ?

Nismo619

p.s. to put the 280zx TPS sensor back on the stock 240sx throttle body is there an adapter needed ? if so i will make it an post pictures

Yes, you keep saying the car runs just fine with it on or off... if the car is running fine, what do you need help with? the car OBVIOUSLY will not IDLE with it connected or not.

Now, the important question: ARE YOU running with the 240SX, potentiometer style throttle position sensor? I am betting $20 that you ARE. you can NOT run with that style TPS, it doesn't tell the computer anything.

Unless you have a stock 280 (Z or ZX) TPS installed on your 60mm throttle body, and it is plugged in and properly calibrated, your car will NOT idle properly.

The Air Flow Meter does NOT ever need to be adjusted; there is a "hack" to adjust it to somewhat richen the mixture along a specific range of RPM, but not the whole range. It is NOT worth it as a band-aid fix; it is a hack that is a bad idea, and not worth doing under ANY circumstances. If you want to fiddle with something to richen the mixture across the band, there are better places to hack into. (The CTS circuit, for example.) Far better than "hacking" anything is installing larger flow fuel injectors, but really you are getting to a point where you want standalone engine management such as megasquirt.

However, if you take the potentiometer TPS that I bet is on your TB off, install one that your ECU can understand, plug it in, and calibrate it, I bet your car will idle right.

• 5 weeks later...

Good news and bad news up date i did find a used 280zx tps sensor from the junk yard it came off a 82 n/a so what the hell i hooked it up and it made a minor differance the " air to fuel " gauge read LEAN red when start up and after warmed up would read :" I DEAL " this is when i have the car in my at my house since then i have had my car inpounded. Anyways Life isnt going to good for me yall. Wish me luck tomorow at court . All i wanted was to be apart of a Z car club.

awww hell... i wont ask no questions, that just SUCKS. I had my Z impounded once... I had a warrant for failure to appear when I was misinformed that one court appearance subseded another on a driving w/ suspended license charge.. cop swerved out of traffic to make the left turn, then u turn, to get behind me a at a LOONG redlight... because, get this:

He said he saw my lack of a front bumper. I spent a night in jail because I took the bumpers off of my car. Yes, there were extenuating circumstances and i do not BLAME the cop, but still......:rolleyesg

Good luck in court, and FIND a way to borrow the money needed to get the car back YESTERDAY.