HybridZ

z31 brakes and 5 lug swap on s130 progress

Well the axles of a z31 fit with no mods, It has the z31 hubs and vented brakes

As you can see the sub frame is mostly re-assembled, it has poly bushing and solids in the sub frame mounts, it has been seam welded. The trailing arms have been seam welded aswel.

The diff is a 3.3 cooled euro turbo diff , running an OBX hlsd( pump is not on this picture but i will update when i mount this on the car)

subframe5.jpg

The rims ill be running will be 17"s 10J the clearance is minimal but enough, measuring on the car does not show problems at this point

10j_rim_arm_clearance.jpg

For the front use of a z31 strut you need to extend the arms by 25mm ( or however much you feel suited)

i also run adjustable bushing upfront so i can adjust from 20mm to 30 mm and adjust some of the cars roll center.

Next to that i will use 30mm bumb steer spacers

arms_extended.jpg

all in all a fun day!

[

• 10 months later...

Hey, what year axles did you end up using? I just installed 88t stub axles and into my control arms but didn't get a chance to snag the right axles. I'm hoping any later turbo z31 will work with my 3.54 r200. Btw, my 17x10.5 wheels are gonna need a small spacer to clear.:icon51:

• 1 year later...

Bringin' back an oldie.

I just wanted to share my experience with this swap and it has not gone too well.

I rounded up all the same parts that Frank has and attempted the swap. Well, the z31 do bolt in to get the 5 lug. The 87 300z calipers are bolt on as well, except once you slap the vented 300z rotor non of it lines up. The rotor/stub axle is about 1/4in. too far in and the caliper rubs on the rotor. (needs about 4-5 mm more to clear it)

I have a striped down 87 300z control to take measurements from and its obvious why this doesn't work. The caliper ears are longer and the flange that the stub axle butts up against is also longer. No biggie though, I ended up redrilling my stock 280zx rotors to 5 lug and I'll just settle for no brake upgrade.

I'm still curious though, how the heck did you get it to fit? In the next few weeks i'm going to take a shot at fabbing up some brackets to push the calipers out a bit since I have these rotors and new calipers just collecting dust. Anyways heres a pic of the rear now. Just need new rotors and pads and bleed em and I should be good to go.

Frank, spill the beans!! lol, jk. but seriously :)

22812360239_large.jpg

Ok, finally got the 87 calipers to work. I ended up shaving material off the caliper mount in order for it to center over the rotor. Pretty easy fix really. I still needed to shim it with a small washer in order to center it over the rotor. No biggie.

22812360242_large.jpg

22812360243_large.jpg

exactly like i mailed :) Sorry for the late reply nice set up ;) i used rear (euro) zx turbe brake disks and calipers but had to shave off 3 to 4 mm to not have em grinding.

There is a possibillity that the euro disk and calipers are bigger, a s130 turbo in europe has bigger brakes aswel .

• 2 years later...

I hate to bring up an old thread, but it's better than posting another one and everybody just responding search.

So here is one for the ol' search button.

I was wondering when you did the z31 diff, axles, and brake swap; did you use z31 wheel bearings in the s130 rear arms or do the factory s130 bearings fit the z31 CV's?

Frank - anymore info on those solid subframe bushings and those offset bushings up front?

Thanks for the info; and the swaps look great.

-Lindsey

Nobody has any info on this.

Surely there are people on here that have done the s130 5 lug/axle swap before.

Anyways courtesy nissan says the inner wheel bearings are the same the outer wheel bearings and seals are different.

I am assuming you would just use all s130/280zx bearings, spacer, and seals and just use the z31 stubs and axles.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Lindsey