HybridZ

My official L31DETT RHD thread.

1 fast z

There are three NIB (New In Box) that I know of, recently acquired by accident, and I advised the buyer NOT to sell or trade them!

In Japan, I have seen LY heads bare sell for $30,000 and UP!

Having had a ride in a car powered by one, 'meh'.... A well done non-crossflow head can make just as much power, and at 1/10th the cost. The fascination with crossflow technology is more emotional than practical in most of these cases.

• 1 month later...

he had a machine shop he knows make them for him

Hi this was made by Spacecase not me.

he apoligized to me and I to you all for this mistake.

I personaly am VERY interested in this and wish to know which cam you are useing.

I have been informed that they are from the Skiline. What year?

Wouldnt nissan have the original molds in storage? Im guessing they wouldnt throw that kind of thing away.

Im amazed that no aftermarket company make a head. My friend has a 250 strait six mustang and they sell an aftermarket 4 valve head. I think theres more interest in z's then strait six mustangs.

Guest boostedbastard

i finally found out that they are RB26 cams one thing that im scratching my head about is how in the world did you mount the cam sprockets to the cams

thanks

Wouldnt nissan have the original molds in storage? Im guessing they wouldnt throw that kind of thing away.

Im amazed that no aftermarket company make a head. My friend has a 250 strait six mustang and they sell an aftermarket 4 valve head. I think theres more interest in z's then strait six mustangs.

LOL, there are more straight-six mustangs in one year than total domestic production of the S30 series from 69-77! You underestimate the interest in domestic fare in the USA...though I have never heard of a four valver for the Inline Six---anybody for a 5.0L Inline Six Four Valve head?

Nissan destroyed almost everything to do with the early Z Cars during 'the turmoil' in the 80's... Datsun was a Baaaaad word then!

Datsun didn't make the head anyway, I suspect Hitachi did it...or Fuji Heavy...

Datsun didn't make the head anyway, I suspect Hitachi did it...or Fuji Heavy...

Fascinating... I know there is ALOT of fuji heavy industries in the car, but I hadnt suspected the cylinder head, heh... Come to think of it, the P series CC and the one on my 87 Subaru GL-10 are essentially identical in shape..

now you got me wondering, and something tells me that IF I ever hear the answer, its going to be a looong time. Not to question your facts, but I am curious where you picked up this bit of knowledge.. inquiring minds want to know.

Ever take a look at the castings closely?

Hitachi, like Yamaha, has a very distinctive mark. Even with 'Nissan' throttle bodies you can find 'The Distinctive Trademark of Hitachi' on some of them! Many times it's a factor of who did the design work.

Nissan may have done the work, as they did have a large foundry, but some of it morphed into Fuji Heavy (ever notice Subie Diffs are R180's and R200's? 'Datsun Parts' to us, but "Fuji Heavy" componentry available to anybody who wanted to buy in sufficient numbers.)

Jaguar used Saginaw Steering Gear components made at Plant 2 in Saginaw Michigan for years. Matter of fact, there was a LOT of 'secret product interchange' on componentry.

Johnson Controls makes seats for Ford...Dash Assemblies for Nissan and Ford, amongst others...

Some people do one thing, do it well, and everybody beats a path to their door.

Oh, and 'I have ways' of finding this stuff out. LOL

Ever take a look at the castings closely?

Hitachi, like Yamaha, has a very distinctive mark. Even with 'Nissan' throttle bodies you can find 'The Distinctive Trademark of Hitachi' on some of them! Many times it's a factor of who did the design work.

Nissan may have done the work, as they did have a large foundry, but some of it morphed into Fuji Heavy (ever notice Subie Diffs are R180's and R200's? 'Datsun Parts' to us, but "Fuji Heavy" componentry available to anybody who wanted to buy in sufficient numbers.)

Jaguar used Saginaw Steering Gear components made at Plant 2 in Saginaw Michigan for years. Matter of fact, there was a LOT of 'secret product interchange' on componentry.

Johnson Controls makes seats for Ford...Dash Assemblies for Nissan and Ford, amongst others...

Some people do one thing, do it well, and everybody beats a path to their door.

Oh, and 'I have ways' of finding this stuff out. LOL

I have seen the Fuji Boomerang on a number of bits of my datsun, as well as hitachi and N-D and niles and so many other component manufactorers on both cars.. In fact, I have deeply considered the viability of using a pair of my GL-10's SPFI TBs on SU manifolds as a quick and dirty FI conversion, and hope to someday sit down with my uncle and build one of his roadsters inot a MS FI car with the various ignition and induction parts from both subaru and datsun. After all, "SU" Carbs are all really hitachi "knockoffs" anyhow. In any case, between the Z car ignition bits, the stock roadster ignition bits, and the subaru ignition bits, I should be able to hobble something together to go in the distributor slot of the roadster engine, yet provide a computer with the right output for FI control. (the FI sooby distributor has an optical pickup wheel built into it, and there are two different flavors, one maunfactured by ND and one hitachi.)

Try simply taking an optical CAS from any of the Nissan Vehicles and driving it by the distributor shaft. In a pinch you can drive it off the cam, but meh!

Some of the CAS units on the SR20's are pretty compact. For a four cylinder you only need two paddles for ignition events ...

Ok, so I have finally cought up on customer projects, and gotten some time in on the L31dett project. We got the Valve job completed, and everything cleaned and assembled. The "thirds" are now assembled for good, sealed and all. I spend the last couple evenings setting the valve lash. Its a Shim On Bucket design, so that means, LOTS of time on the surface grinder to get an exact .013 ex clearence, and a .011" clearence on the intake. I will assemble the timing chains and guides tomorrow, and then can get the oil pan on, oil pump, ac compresser, etc. Should be able to have the engine in the car within this weekend, so we can start the wiring, of MSnEDIS, etc. The stock KA upper timing cover did NOT bolt up at all the the L series timing cover, and had a 2" gap. So rather than doing alot of cuting and welding, I decided to build my own. It even incorperates the stock oil catch, for the upper timing chain. I had to do custom engraving, though, hehe. Got the EX manifolds welded together and finished also, other than plating. Brakes are finished on the car also, with 13" rotors up front and 11.65 in the rear with wilwood four piston calipers.

DSCN1066-600x450.jpg

DSCN1068-600x450.jpg

DSCN1084-600x450.jpg

DSCN1086-600x450.jpg

DSCN1087-600x450.jpg

DSCN1089-600x450.jpg

DSCN1092-600x450.jpg

DSCN1094-600x450.jpg

DSCN1098-600x450.jpg

DSCN1099-600x450.jpg

DSCN1102-600x450.jpg

DSCN1103-600x450.jpg

DSCN1073-600x450.jpg

DSCN1101-600x450.jpg

DSCN1100-600x450.jpg

DSCN1096-600x450.jpg

DSCN1077-600x450.jpg

DSCN1078-600x450.jpg

That's a nice manifold, top notch to say the least. Love how the pressure equalization tubing makes a stock dizzy kinda impossible to use. Who cares if you're running edis right?

Looking better and better. Really excited to see/hear this thing run, even if it's only video. I can't even imagine the words to describe how eager I am to see dyno numbers once it's running and any/all kinks are worked out.

My jaw was literally trembling looking at the pics.

I would LOVE to see what a set of triple webers or ITBs would look like on that head.. somehow the images of the cams and all the rest, and the lines of sixes and twelves going down the entire length, beg for the image of the six runners/carbs attached to them. Not to actually question anything technical by any menas; I was merely discussing the sheer aesthetics of the image. It honestly looks alot more impressive and frightening with that airbox and huge TB on it.

What was your plan on the valve cover again? any thoughts of finishing that top timing cover at all or are you leaving it as is?

If this power plant runs half, or even a fourth as strong as it looks.. OOMPY! Much congratulations, tickertape parade, and complete Roman Triumph shall be awarded to you upon your return from the dyno shop.

Thanks for the update, we have been starving here :D