HybridZ

My official L31DETT RHD thread.

1 fast z

HAHA, you guys really think it would blow up, what kind of faith do you have in me! LOL. NO it runs FLAWLESSLY, and honestly, it outperforms what I thought it would do. At only 7 PSI, it PULLS, and I mean PULLS. I would have to guess somewhere around 350 HP, and that in TQ also. And for only 7 PSI, thats pretty impressive to me. I am STILL only pushing it to 5400 RPM, and its STILL at a 10.2-1 AFR. I will start datalogging tomorrow, and get it to that perfect 12.5 afr for now. My wife wasnt a very good camara man, so, I tried to do it myself. I have about 300 miles on the motor now, and it stays cool, holds water pressure. I can let the car sit, for say 20 minutes, then go out and pull the radiator cap off, and it will still blow off pressure, so that says there are NO leaks. Anyways, this is probably the last vids I will post for awhile. I know the video quality sucks, but this is just to show it can take the boost! Man, I thought my silver car which is NA and runs mid 12's was fast, but DAMN, this car would eat my silver car for LUNCH, and DINNER at only 7 PSI. I was worried about how the turbos would spool when I was building the motor, but I am PLENTY pleased.

HAHA, you guys really think it would blow up, what kind of faith do you have in me! LOL. NO it runs FLAWLESSLY, and honestly, it outperforms what I thought it would do. At only 7 PSI, it PULLS, and I mean PULLS. I would have to guess somewhere around 350 HP, and that in TQ also. And for only 7 PSI, thats pretty impressive to me. I am STILL only pushing it to 5400 RPM, and its STILL at a 10.2-1 AFR. I will start datalogging tomorrow, and get it to that perfect 12.5 afr for now. My wife wasnt a very good camara man, so, I tried to do it myself. I have about 300 miles on the motor now, and it stays cool, holds water pressure. I can let the car sit, for say 20 minutes, then go out and pull the radiator cap off, and it will still blow off pressure, so that says there are NO leaks. Anyways, this is probably the last vids I will post for awhile. I know the video quality sucks, but this is just to show it can take the boost! Man, I thought my silver car which is NA and runs mid 12's was fast, but DAMN, this car would eat my silver car for LUNCH, and DINNER at only 7 PSI. I was worried about how the turbos would spool when I was building the motor, but I am PLENTY pleased.

Dude, you SOUND like a kid in a candy store, possibly more than I have ever been able to notice from a message board post :icon10:

I would say the third video linked just above was probably the best, and also add that you can't blame the wife.. she didn't have the perspective for the right tape.

I cannot WAIT to hear that thing when you REALLY punch the gas...:icon52:

This thread will continue to be monitored and content will be administered without any more warnings or notice.

LARRY

I'm glad i suggesting unlocking this thread from the original Dumb ass comments. I didnt see what was said but if it happens again i will suggest the banning of offenders!!!!!

Sounds really good, i know i couldn't wait to boost my rb25 and i was forced to stick to 11psi cuz the stock clutch couldn't hold it. Funny thing is from the vids it doesnt seem fast but sitting in the seat and expirencing it you know your haulin :) When i did vids of my rb pullin third to fourth the guys thought it was slow but it was pulling hard. Very nice man very nice and i love the sound, think once you can rev her hard you could get a vid of you reving it up with the camera by the exhaust?

Congraulations, I am in awe, I am humbled... and thats just the start....

You have done something, that in almost 40 years of L series production, engineering and improvement was never been able to do..and that includes the talented engineers and fabricators at Nissan.

You have created an important historical log and entry for these engines.

Wow.

Yasin

You have done something, that in almost 40 years of L series production, engineering and improvement was never been able to do..and that includes the talented engineers and fabricators at Nissan.

Yasin,

You're making it sound like Nissan tried, but somehow failed (?). Nissan did make twin-cam L-gatas, just not six cylinder ones.

And let's not forget that the heads that have been used to make the conversion we are discussing here were made by Nissan too........

Let's also not forget that aftermarket twin-cam 24-valve conversions for the L-gata 6 ( and 4 ) have also been designed and made in the past. Twin turbo versions of those were built too.

So let's not get too carried away with ourselves and forget what has come -and gone - before us, eh?

Cheers,

Alan T.

well, soon to be one of 2. :D

Well see how soon :)

I put about another 125 miles on it today, in 99 degree az heat, and no over heating problems whatsoever. I have an oil leak somewhere, I need to track that down. And my CV axles are vibrating like crazy, so Im swapping in u joint styles tonight.

closing up on 20,000 views on this thread, holy cow. had to point that out.

(i believe that the giken head and the LY head both "go without saying" in any sort of comments about "the only DOHC L-series" at this point, :P)

now we have to go back and edit years and years of "DOHC L heads" threads, and including the BMZ DOHC Head.

who wants to take a month off work?

Well I'm going to ask the question thats bound to be asked soon. My question is....drum roll please...when if ever would this head ever be produced for the general public?

No, I will never make it availble to the public. It would cost 5 times as much as a RB26 motor set.

I Can't believe this hasn't been said yet:

"Man, I thought my silver car which is NA and runs mid 12's was fast, but DAMN, this car would eat my silver car for LUNCH, and DINNER at only 7 PSI."

Feeeel the power of the dark side young Bryan. Feel the power, let it guide you, boost knows all, boost solves all, let it infuse through you and invite it into your soul!

Bubbles, I am your Father!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!

BTW, JG Engine Dynamics did porting work on TC24B-1's back in the 90's, and was not impressed in total flow numbers, compared with their L-Heads (for the costs involved, and inability to make bigger numbers). They did several at that time.

Yes, this is the shop that Edlebrock bought, and that all the Honda Guys Cream over. They did L-Engines years before anybody looked sideways at a Honda on the West Coast Performancewise.

And I have personally been ferried around in an LY powered S30 here in SoCal. Matter of fact, the car drove from LA, to Vegas, and back, as well as participating in the ZCCA Convention there in 2000. I think...yep, he was back in 2004 for the ZCCA Convention that year as well...which is when all those High-Resolution Photos of the LY with the Red Valve Cover started circulating----right after I posted them fresh off my brandy-new Nikon Coolpix 4300!!! So yeah, there's been an LY here as well... Remember what I say: "Never Say Never, and there's always somebody faster, so what's the point (of boasting)?" Had to clarify that since some people have been misinterpreting that 'so what's the point' comment...