HybridZ

My official L31DETT RHD thread.

1 fast z

well here's a great big Congratulations!!!!, your project has been an inspiration to us all and we hope you don't have any more trouble with it! I have been following your progress as you have been posting, and i have to say... WOW!!! again, Congratulations to you ! keep up the great work and we will see you at msa in april!

You should be able to screw your DB37 plug into the megasquirt. Your connector hood should have holes in the sides where you can add nice thumbscrews borrowed from an old serial computer mouse or some other computer cable. The holes on the sides of the DB37 on the megasquirt itself should be threaded to accept studs (borrow them from an old serial port, parallel port, etc). If not, then you can get slightly longer studs that come with nuts. I know digikey sells all that dirt cheap if you can't find it in a local electronics store. If you like pictures, I can oblige.

Jameco also sells them, and has an easier to use website

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&categoryId=302530

I don't see how the LY head could get mixed up in this conversation (other than bieng z unobtanium) since it is a two valve and sohc head.

Brain Trust at work there, that is why they are saying the LY is a DOHC...

Absolute Brain Trust.

What broke on the T-5? JeffP pumped 450 through his with it screaming in protest, but nothing outright broke. I would suspect latent or marginal tranny to begin with if it's a major failure.

thanks for clearing that up for me guys, i never realized that the LY head was just a SOHC :)

• 3 weeks later...

NOw have the car at 18 PSI, Had it at 22 for a little bit, but backed it down for now. ALL pump gas, 91 octane, no water or meth yet. Breaks the tires loose in third occasionally, and every time in second. Its sure something when you roll into the throttle at 70 MPH, and the tires break loose! Just thought I would give a heads up.

• 1 month later...

I figured I would give an update on what where doing now.

First of all, I ripped the motor apart about two weeks ago. Had a leak, that turned out to be a crack on the intake port of number 4 cylinder. Also had an oil leak between one of the thirds, and turned out to be that the gasket material (which remains un-spoken of right now), started "decomposing". So I made some new gaskets out of another material (which also remains unspoken of), to try out, which I know cant de-compose. I dont want to say what the materials are just as yet, as I want to try them out to prove them.

While I had the motor apart I sent the cams off to get re-ground. Stock they came out to be about 205 degrees at .05" and 320" of lift. Yea thats it, it made pretty good power for those cams I think. We came up with about .390" and 215 deg at .050" is what where going for on the intake, and .360" and 210 deg at .050". I did not want to go to large on the ex, so I dont bleed off too much cylinder pressure, during split over lap.

I also am trying a different set of turbos now as well. I bought some new cheap turbos, actually spent about 400.00 on two new ones. They are .48 compressor housings, and 63 ex housings. THe stock T3's would not make anymore power difference from 20 psi compared to 25 psi, so the back pressure had to of been to high, and not been able to flow any more air then what 20psi would allow on the zx ex housings. SO I upgraded to bigger housings on the intake and ex. They also do have 360 degree thrust bearings also, and at 27 psi, they are still on the correct portion of the turbo map.

Anyways figured I would give everyone who is interested a update. Should get to 700+ rwhp with the new setup, as well as still be streetable.

Also, I was gonna link to the other post that I should of posted here in the first place so when someone searches (me haha) I can find all the info.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=127559&highlight=dyno+twin+cam

Dyno run

Dyno chart at 17 psi and stock t3 turbos.

new_graph-752x565.png

Here are some pictures of the stock T3 vs the T3/T4's that are going on.

DSCN1338-600x450.jpg

DSCN1339-600x450.jpg

DSCN1340-600x450.jpg

I will no longer use 17 year old stock KA head bolts either, as now I have got custom ARP head studs, should hold the head down fairly well.

DSCN1341-600x450.jpg

Ok guys all posts that had anything to do with the original I told you so thread by bubbles have been deleted.

I recommended this thread be brought back from the trash can because it IS really interesting. SOOOOO keep it on subject and any further bashing, I told you it wouldnt work, what a waste of time comments will be deleted AGAIN and any further uncalled for comments will result in that member being banned for a month. So keep it on subject and purely technical, fact based comments.

Thanks

Stony