HybridZ

Duplicolor Paint Shop

I'm painting my Z this blue from duplicolor paint shop. There is no reason if you do all the prep work correctly and spray it properly that any paint wouldn't last for a long time on a car. Just because this is only $20 a quart doesn't mean it's bad paint it just means they are giving you convenience and hope you can't paint your own car because its a whole system you use together.

Paying thousands or ten thousands on a paint job doesn't mean anything because if you pay that much its not gonna go a week without being polished and it will never get exposed to rain or snow. Yeah Rustoleum will last forever because its made to do that, but it's not necessarily made to be put on cars, just metal. They made this system to help us and make it that much easier to paint the car cuz god knows the bodywork and prep (the stuff that really matters) is hard enough by itself.

I'm behind this product 100% and will post some pics when I'm done. Also about 3-4 years down the line to prove it. But for now here are some pics in it's current state. 2 coats of base awaiting 2-3 coats of clear.

13361_thumb.attach

13362_thumb.attach

13363_thumb.attach

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We carry that stuff at NAPA autoparts. havent tried it yet but looks kinda cheapy but im sure any paint will stick on tough with a a couple of coats and some clear which dupli color also offers ready to spray. just make sure you get a good prep before spray.

..i used the red and clear last summer to spray my hood and its a decent product for the money...remember its lacquer, so it drys almost immediately so bugs dont have time to get stuck in!!...also when spraying it make sure its a very dry day..no or low humidity is key...otherwise the finish turns milky or cloudy....its also very easy to fix,wet sand and respray.

..i used the red and clear last summer to spray my hood and its a decent product for the money...remember its lacquer, so it drys almost immediately so bugs dont have time to get stuck in!!...also when spraying it make sure its a very dry day..no or low humidity is key...otherwise the finish turns milky or cloudy....its also very easy to fix,wet sand and respray.

And also make sure theres no bugs right?:)

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a pic of it with clear. It came out with a fair amount of orange peel but that was to be expected. I'm going to follow the direction on the back of the can and wet sanding in with 1500 grit paper then coming back with 1500 grit compound on an orbital buffer. It says high speeds are too risky but it could take weeks to get the shine to come through with an orbital but we'll see. I'll keep posting.

4248_84075708907_562393907_1787997_5796856_n_thumb.jpg

I'm painting my Z this blue from duplicolor paint shop. There is no reason if you do all the prep work correctly and spray it properly that any paint wouldn't last for a long time on a car. Just because this is only $20 a quart doesn't mean it's bad paint it just means they are giving you convenience and hope you can't paint your own car because its a whole system you use together.

Paying thousands or ten thousands on a paint job doesn't mean anything because if you pay that much its not gonna go a week without being polished and it will never get exposed to rain or snow. Yeah Rustoleum will last forever because its made to do that, but it's not necessarily made to be put on cars, just metal. They made this system to help us and make it that much easier to paint the car cuz god knows the bodywork and prep (the stuff that really matters) is hard enough by itself.

I'm behind this product 100% and will post some pics when I'm done. Also about 3-4 years down the line to prove it. But for now here are some pics in it's current state. 2 coats of base awaiting 2-3 coats of clear.

not to burst your bubble or anything, but the comment on . Standing behind the product and no matter what paint you use if done correctly should last a long time but.....no where near true. for the price you are paying on the product. sure you can go with an old saying. you get what you pay for. i am willing to bet that if your car is parked outside in your driveway. maybe it will last a year. the clear probably has NO uv protectant in it at all for that price. if macco painted your car would it last as long as glasuirt , ppg, dupont..... so on and so on about thr higher end higher priced products? never. countless times have a read threads like this on other websites. i have not seen the first person in this thread from 2007 answer in on how long this has lasted for him , have you?

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to paint with this stuff, but got dissuaded by opinions (and informational books) from people with more experience than myself. I actually ended up spending less on a single stage urethane set which should by all means last a lot longer than lacquer. The only thing I give lacquer is that its shine is nearly unmatched, which is perfect for a show car that sees the light of day 3 times a year.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a pic of it with clear. It came out with a fair amount of orange peel but that was to be expected. I'm going to follow the direction on the back of the can and wet sanding in with 1500 grit paper then coming back with 1500 grit compound on an orbital buffer. It says high speeds are too risky but it could take weeks to get the shine to come through with an orbital but we'll see. I'll keep posting.

Can you post some more pics please?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Good evening,

I have been away from the site a long time. I sold my Z right after I painted it and let all of my extra parts go with it. I also got separated from my wife of 12 years on the same day. Long story not meant to be told here. 

I made a lot of mistakes on my Z project that kept me bogged down for years while trying to get it running and it seems like I only had it for a couple of months once I was done with it. I was very disappointed with my homemade paint job and wished that I would have just left the car in primer instead. 

I am looking for another Datsun to convert and this time I will be smarter the second time around. You may see me pop back up soon if I can find a donor car for the right price.

Charlie

• 2 months later...

I love old school lacquer but I don't trust duplicolor yet alone a prethinned product. When you think about it your paying more for duplicolor lacquer then you would for ppg duracryl lacquer or tcpglobal's lacquer. Remember, lacquer when its ready to spray is commonly 50%+ thinner.

• 3 months later...

I have shot two cars with the duplicolor paint shop line, one (my s13) in jet black, and the other (eg33 swap GC8) in white with the metallic flake and a couple coats of clear over it all.  The paint sprays quite easy, but being that it is prethinned it is definitely not a bargain.  I will not be shooting anymore cars with it since it is really not worth the money.  The subaru cost me a small fortune to paint, I should have just gone with a basic PPG or dupont.