HybridZ

Duplicolor Paint Shop

Guest stuckeypcs

I know i'm resurrecting an old thread but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in this as well. I just used this system on my headlight covers to my 240sx and I am impressed with the results. It is going to orange peel and if you are using one of the metallic paints you have to make sure your gun is properly adjusted otherwise you will get lines/streaks in the paint. My only concern is how thin it is and if I will cut through to the paint after wet sanding the clear. Anyone have any input on that?

Thanks

hlc1.jpg

hlc2.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:iagree: If your paint has already dried and you dont have at least 3 med. wet coats on it. You can wet sand with 800 paper and add more clear. Also you will find it almost impossible to cut and buff those with out installing them first so you will have to raise the lights up just a little bit manually so they dont sit flush. Otherwise you stand a good chance of burning through the surrounding body edges.

Guest stuckeypcs
Also,let meknow how that color matches. Ive been painting for years now and it's VERY rare to spray one panel with out blending into the surrounding panels and have the color match. Especialy silver.

It's a new color and i'm painting the whole car that color. It's no where close to the original gray this car was painted. Or are you referring to sparyaing one panel at a time vs the whole car?

Thanks

It's a new color and i'm painting the whole car that color. It's no where close to the original gray this car was painted. Or are you referring to sparyaing one panel at a time vs the whole car?

Thanks

Well, I assumed you had just painted the headlight covers but if you do paint one panel at a time you stand a good chance of having color mis-match problems. With high met. colors especialy, temperature,humidity,pressure differences at the gun,a little more or less reducer than used the time before, ect, ect... There are all kinds of things that would cause the metal to flow differently with one application than the other. There have been times that I had to respray a panel for whatever reason and had no problem. Then there are the other times. :mad: I've had "old timers" tell me that it was b/c I dont spray consistant from one job to the next but then they have the same problem. If you do spray all the panels one at a time just try to make sure of your coverage and try to spray them in the relative same temp. With in 5 deg.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest bboysaiyan

hello all i have a few comments about this paint. i paint cars for a living and i used the primer / jet black color and clearcoat to see how good it was.it cost 20 bucks a quart which if you just need 1 quart is fine but more then that its a waste of money plus it is limited on what you can use it on .i use a fender as a test i sanded it and primed it 3 coats then sanded the primer which was not to bad to sand then i sprayed the color and clear 3 base 3 clear let it dry for 1 day and wet sanded it the finished product was ok but this type of stuff will only last about 8-14 months and if any thing like gas or lacquer thinner gets on it will mess it all up b/c this system has no harder un like real car paint does .a cheap quart of paint (to me the color is just color so going with a cheap brand doesnt mean your car will look cheap or anything the clear is where it would all make it look show car style )at a local car paint store should cost around 20-30 bucks and a gallon of reducer would cost 20 (reducer to reduce the paint most paints are 1 to 1 mixing ratio )and that would give you 2 quarts of sprayable paint and 3 quart left on the reducer now 2 quarts of the dulpicolor paint is 40 and thats it nothing left over for anything else .now the primer is ok when the sand scratches are no less then 320 but but if you need to fill in sand scratches you would need a urethane primer which would do the trick ,the primer is good for when you are going to paint some thing and just need to sand and paint now for the clear since you are spraying it your self a clear coat kit would be a gallon of clear and a kit of hardner would cost you cheap clear 90-120 a kit ...buffed looks great and would last at least 4 or 5 years and a kit would do a whole car and 4 quarts of the duplicolor clear is 80 and would last but a year so to be honest if your painting a car dont use this stuff its a waste of money but if you going to paint say a lip kit or interior pieces or rims this stuff would be perfect so if any one has something to say please let me know this is just my honest opinion

Yeah haha. Roll on the Rustoleum.

Apparently the stuff also sprays on great if you thin it correctly. I doubt many people would think a roller job could look decent.

As for my car, i want to see what a bucket full of elbow grease and polish will do to resurrect the old paint. It sat outside for many years and dulled it badly, but if I'm lucky I might be able to bring it back to life.

• 1 month later...

hello all on a side note if you have a finish-masters or a car paint store (call a local paint shop and ask where they get their paint ) go in and ask for mis-tints or rejects $20 gallon for emron or other dupont paint. The stores have a few screw-ups color matching paint which means a $200 gal costs $20. Just adding a idea.

hello all on a side note if you have a finish-masters or a car paint store (call a local paint shop and ask where they get their paint ) go in and ask for mis-tints or rejects $20 gallon for emron or other dupont paint. The stores have a few screw-ups color matching paint which means a $200 gal costs $20. Just adding a idea.

Then, not only did you get a great deal but you have a one of a kind color:ugg:

"Then, not only did you get a great deal but you have a one of a kind color:ugg:"

lol most of the time a mis-tint is too much met or the wrong color metalic in the paint not a different color . The most common is charcoal which is a hard color to get right. unless of course we want to spend 40 for a gal of duplicolor or 25-30 for rustoleum but i am just adding a different route and I have persolnally had 3 cars that are mis-tints you would never know.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at the Duplicolor Paint Shop Finish System for painting my car as well. There seems to be some good information in this thread, but a lot of posts are off-topic.

Did anyone use this Paint Shop Finish System on a complete car and can they comment on the results - and hopefully provide some pictures as well? I'm not intested in rolling my car, or different paint systems - I'm interested in this specific system.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/paintshop.html

They only come in limited colors with no metallics available. As was posted it is a ready-to-spray lacquer system consisting of primer, color and clear. No mixing or reducing is required, and there's no recoat window so additonal coats can be added at anytime.

I'm looking at the Duplicolor Paint Shop Finish System for painting my car as well. There seems to be some good information in this thread, but a lot of posts are off-topic.

Did anyone use this Paint Shop Finish System on a complete car and can they comment on the results - and hopefully provide some pictures as well? I'm not intested in rolling my car, or different paint systems - I'm interested in this specific system.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/paintshop.html

They only come in limited colors with no metallics available. As was posted it is a ready-to-spray lacquer system consisting of primer, color and clear. No mixing or reducing is required, and there's no recoat window so additonal coats can be added at anytime.

Well, I saw Charlie's (Georgia Flash) car a few months after he painted it. It looked milky, and dull. I think the problem is that there is no hardner for this paint.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest finintexas

I am thinking of using this to paint a motorcycle. primarily because of the cost and ease of use. But does anyone know if lacquer is tintable? I see they have 6 or so colors in this product but i would like to "tweak" the color a little bit. Any one know?