HybridZ

LS2 in a box

I really like the way that car sits on those tires, looks like a vintage muscle car!

Bill:

Thanks. I grew up in the late 60's and early 70's and loved the muscle cars, but my first "real" car was a 72 240Z.

I think I'm going for that elusive "GT-Muscle Car-Luxury Car" which is probably a contradiction in terms.

Dave

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's some "under construction" pics.

245418463.jpg

engine compartment ready, wiring harness sorted out.

245418498.jpg[/img]

camaro clutch master installed, hose lengthened.

245418480.jpg

surge tank installed.

243776825.jpg[/img]

243776860.jpg[/img]

cross member tacked together.

245418435.jpg[/img]

just waiting on clutch slave cyl. for engine test fit.

I hope to have some pics of engine sitting in car by this time next week.

lots of custome work to do for power steering with air conditioning.

it looks like I will have to use JCI mounts to position engine and trans, then build custom mounts and remove original mounts from cross member to gain enough room for PS & AC

Can you explain how your using the surge tank works? i.e. are you pumping gas from your gas tank to this surge tank, then pumping the gas to the engine? Why 3 lines?

Thank for any clarification, pics would be nice as well.

There will be a low pressure lift pump to bring gas to the surge tank

where it will gravity feed to the high pressure pump. excess gas from

the surge tank flows from the overflow line at the top of the surge

tank to the main tank. excess fuel from the regulator bypass will be

routed to the low pressure feed also.

the reason for all this is to provide a constant gravity feed to

the high pressure pump and to not have to put that pump lower than the

lowest point of the main tank. this allows the use of the stock tank

without having to put in extra baffles and sump the tank and keeps the

HP pump out of harms way.

at least that's the theory, this is my first attempt at this. on my car

I have a custom fuel tank that feeds off the bottom but it's not as low

as a stock tank so I have room for the pump to sit lower than the tank,

but I have starvation problems under hard right hand cornering with

less than half tank.

BTW Kbhead your sig pic brings back memories

219723209.jpg

tomorrow will be three weeks since starting this SBC to LS1 swap. here are a few new pics of progress.

247330158.jpg

247330168.jpg

here is a shot of the modified x member, still need to build rack mounts.

247330172.jpg

notice the corvette accessories have been replaced with F body stuff. the vette stuff just wouldn't fit. the alternator hits the strutt tower.

247330163.jpg

this is the corvette motor mount I used on the driver side to help make room for the power steering. the right side is a JCI mount.

247330150.jpg

next week should see the PS install and hopefully hear it run.

wish me luck!

About $7000 turn key and about $2400 for a new T56, or $1200 for a used T56.

Dave P. bought this setup from Regal Performance with new engine, new trans, drive by wire module, painless harness, corvette gas pedal, corvette clutch master, camaro oil pan, motor mount plates, (that we didn't use) and custom programed computer. with shipping to my shop was still under 10K.

A great deal IMO.

Dave K.

About $7000 turn key and about $2400 for a new T56, or $1200 for a used T56.

Dave P. bought this setup from Regal Performance with new engine, new trans, drive by wire module, painless harness, corvette gas pedal, corvette clutch master, camaro oil pan, motor mount plates, (that we didn't use) and custom programed computer. with shipping to my shop was still under 10K.

A great deal IMO.

Dave K.

Agreed, a very nice deal. Nice work btw.

You can save a few bucks buying a used GTO or 'Vette pull-out, but you typically get only a partial harness and factory (not-reprogrammed) ECU. I had a good experience buying from Schram Auto Parts (They sell on Ebay sometimes). Have yet to fire it up though.

Nice work. You really put a lot of custom effort into that crossmember

notice the corvette accessories have been replaced with F body stuff. the vette stuff just wouldn't fit. the alternator hits the strutt tower.

I had an F body alternator bracket that had been machined to work with the Corvette accessories I would have sold you for cheap. I couldn't use it cause my engine sat so low the alternator hit the steering gear.

Are you running AC, I can't tell from the pics. I had to move the ac unit to where to PS is on yours. Maybe on the Oregon coast you don't need ac so much. Looking really good!!! Bet you can't wait to give it a drive.

Mike

Mike:

The original car had A.C. and Dave K. is going to great lengths to keep it for this LS2 install. The engine I bought from Regal Performance (Ron Sessions) was a Corvette crate motor, with Corvette accessories. The alternator on the Corvette is mounted in a high left position, which looked really good on paper, but conflicted with the left strut tower.

The solution that Dave K. came up with was to convert to Camaro/Firebird accessories, and mount the alternator low left, with the A.C. compressor (Johns Car's unit) mounted high left. We haven't received the compressor yet, but John assures us it works with the LS engine and F body accessories. Since we are installing a Subaru power steering rack, we had to retain the P.S. unit.

If any of this is incorrect, I'm sure Dave K. will correct it in his next weekly update to this thread.

You are correct in assuming I am really anxious to give it a drive!

Ok, so if you put the AC high left (as I did), where do you put the PS that is now high left? Just curious cause I sometimes think I might like PS.

Mike

The A.C. unit (John's Cars unit) will basically replace the Corvette alternator shown in this picture. The P.S unit on the Corvette is installed inboard of the alternator on the left side, and will remain in that position. The alternator moves to a low left position. The alternator is a little larger in diameter, and conflicted with the strut tower, but the A.C. unit will fit (we haven't received it yet, but John has done this install).

Hope this helps.

Dave P.

IMG_1461-resize_thumb.jpg

Yes, John's unit does fit, I used it. I just couldn't figure out the PS location. I'll check out your pics when it is done. Using the corvette engine mount on the dr. side should make it easier to get the alternator to fit also as it has a tendency to iterfere with the John's mount and the old Z mount. What headers are you using?

Mike

Yes, John's unit does fit, I used it. I just couldn't figure out the PS location. I'll check out your pics when it is done. Using the corvette engine mount on the dr. side should make it easier to get the alternator to fit also as it has a tendency to iterfere with the John's mount and the old Z mount. What headers are you using?

Mike

Mike:

We're using the JTR ceramic coated headers made by Sanderson. It looks like everything will fit.

Dave P.

Mike

Mike:

Here is a photo of the LS2 with all accessories. My description of the John's Cars AC. unit being high left (a replacement for the Corvette alternator) wasn't excactly right, now that we have actually received and installed the unit. It is more mid left, with the power steering unit being just inboard of the A.C. compressor.

Attached is a photo I took today with all accessories attached. We would like to have more belt contact on the crankshaft pulley, but we will see what happens.

Dave K should have some more pictures this week on his thread update.

Dave Philippi

IMG_1540 resized_thumb.jpg