HybridZ

Turbo intake

Zbeechbum280t

Guest 280ZForce

cut those b*tches out! lol... they I believe they are just there to cover the exhaust manifold, but I think it's more beneficial imo to have them cut out, cuz then the heat can rise up more efficiently to escpape through the hood vents.

Liquid fuel has trouble igniting. Even when it pours out of weber carb fittings onto very hot headers. Ask me how I know. :-)

Just use a few different holesaws in different diameters along the webbing. That might look pretty cool.

The webbing acts as a heat dam to prevent heat from rising to the upper portion of the engine bay where the fuel components lie.

The early ones didn't have it, every later one did....ever think why?

I mean, would Nissan pay all that money to add aluminum to a manifold that didn't need it?

Before rethinking things for cosmetics sake, think about the practical rammifications of the modification and why it was put there in the first place.

If you want the exhaust manifold heat out, why not supply a proper duct to exhaust it out, using the webbing as it stands?

most people seem to prefer the earlier, N42, non-EGR intake manifold that came on the first 280Zs, which HAS no webbing.. Does this mean that using the earlier manifold entails a "trade-off" of sorts? I had gotten the impression that the later intake manifold didnt have much to offer over the earlier ones, but I suppose that could just be a "clean install" factor. The later manifold is nowhere near as "clean" looking as the later, that is for sure.

The later manifold is nowhere near as "clean" looking as the later, that is for sure.

My bet is that most people are going for cosmetics over function. Again, think about Nissan being able to save 30 yen worth of aluminum (not to mention tooling costs) on EVERY manifold produced.

The later vehicles came with hood vents, yet they still retained the webbing between the manifolds. Just think about the Ford Pinto. Originally engineers dictated the carrige bolts for the gas tank straps be installed from the bottom UP through the straps. During a production review, they realized that if the carrige bolts for the gas tank were dropped in the square holes in the chassis before the tank was hoisted, a simple nutrunner operation was all that was needed to move the car down the line. 30 seconds total installation time for two nuts, compared to almost 90 seconds having to hold the strap with one hand and set the carrige bolt in a sprung holder on the strap...

Just that when impacted, instead of the sharp unprotected ends of the bolts folding OUT towards the bumper, they went UP AND IN to the gas tank, puncturing it!

If Automakers can leave something off a vehicle, they WILL. The webbing is there for a reason---long term heat reduction on the FI components being a major one. With or without hood vents, they had that webbing. 200K+ mile durability...

Just a thought to consider before you start re-engineering an already good system.

As for 'clean install' I took a Non-EGR P82 and used it, instead. I think it's cleaner than the N42, and gives you much more space to get to the turbo when doing anything in that area.

As for 'clean install' I took a Non-EGR P82 and used it, instead. I think it's cleaner than the N42, and gives you much more space to get to the turbo when doing anything in that area.

I figured about as much. I thought that at this point, the thread was begging for the question to be asked and answered for anyone who hadn't considered that point.

Have you any photographs of this p82 manifold, perchance?

like they said, if you are going for cosmetics. do go with the Non EGR non webbed N42 intake manifold. Use a heater jacket/blanket or wrap after you spray em down good with high temp paint and cleaner. that should eliminate need for an ugly heat shield as well. this is what i do (i have headers) on my 280ZX.

crap, and I have no pics of my engine bay, mainly because its kind of gross.

I do have a P82 intake tho, and I think it was one of the first you saw, wasnt it Tony?

I know I had a few people ask me about it, just cant remember who. my car is a 1980 280ZX cali spec.

I have one from an 80 280zx (don't know if it was from California) and it DOES have the EGR. I'm going to use anyway with a block off plate across the EGR port.

Interesting that the California one does not have EGR - I would have expected the reverse.

I just finished unhooking everything from my 83 turbo manifold and it looks like I'll need a plumbing supply shop. I have to make about three or four blocking plates and get about 15 npt plugs to seal it all off. The funny thing is that I have a 76 L28 complete sitting on the floor next to my Z. I am tempted to swap the manifolds but the 83 is probably slightly better design-wise.....maybe.