HybridZ

Harbor frieght engine stand

mom'sZ

I need an engine stand. I've never bought anything from harbor frieght because I think cheap tools are worthless. But I was looking online and they have a folding engine stand for 99$ Here's a link

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47304

I like the fold up option, that would make storage easier when I'm not using it. It's rated at 2000 lbs. and an L-6 only weighes about 500 lbs., so I'm sure it's heavy enough. I'm just worried that for 99 bucks it's going to be total junk. (cheap castors ect.) Does anybody have one? Does anybody know where to get a better one? What does everybody use / like? I don't mind spending money for good quality stuff, if it hold the motor up and is safe, that will work.

Just get the $40 motor stand. 2000 lb is crazy overkill. The cheaper one may not be foldable, but it's really quick to disassemble and takes up almost no space with the legs off.

The big difference in quality on their hoists, stands, cranes etc. is the quality of the paint. I say who cares about the paint -- for $40 you cant go wrong.

- Greg -

The cheaper one may not be foldable, but it's really quick to disassemble and takes up almost no space with the legs off.

You know what greg? That is a really good point!

The big difference in quality on their hoists, stands, cranes etc. is the quality of the paint. I say who cares about the paint

I agree, it's just going to get sh*t dumped on it and knocked around. So... you would trust this thing? Your 40$ one, it rolls around OK and stuff?

I've got 3 of those cheap stands, they are just that cheap, not bad just cheap, one is holding up a 4.2L jeep engine, all cast iron inline 6 and heavy as heck. works fine, If you do get the HF one, PLEASE throw away the bolts that come with it for mounting the arms to the head and the engine to the arms. and get QUALITY FASTENERS. I have had these cheap ungraded bolts break!!! One thing i always do with inline engines is when I'm not working on it I run a chain up to a rafter in my shop from the unsupported end (fan end) that way if the stand or mounting bolts bend or shear, your engine will not hit the floor. Keith

If one makes one living with ones tools. Buy the best that one can afford.

For projects, HF has saved my ass plenty of times to give them value in my book. The cash you save.....goes into the project.

Buy high quality drill bits, cresent wrenches, torque wrench ect. When it comes to hammers, carts, auto body dollies, engine stands, cherry pickers or even a chop saw, save your money and get HF. That is unless you have an expensive tool fetish.:D

I have an HF stand. Its perfectly adequate for the job.....

289 has the right idea. If you are a mechanic or a tradesman that uses your tools day in-day out, you should look into buying some decent quality stuff like SnapOn, Mac, Craftsman, etc. However if you are a hobbiest or someone that only uses the tools occasionally..then Harbor Freight is a blessing! Thier tools work and get the job done for a fraction of the price of anything with a known name. ALL of thier hand tools have a lifetime warranty and they will usually exchange power tools also.

Like mentioned earlier you will want quality where it counts, such as a torque wrench. For the other 95%+ of the tool box (that does not require strict tolerance or strength), you cant go wrong with HF stuff. I have personally abused tons of HF tools and am still a loyal customer.

Thier engine stands and jack stands are strong. You'll have no issues

Guest TeamNissan

I picked up mine for 50$ at napa and had a fully built vg on it for a good 4-5 months. I picked up my cherry picker from pep boys on clearance for 80$ and have used it tons of times for me and friends. When it comes to the 2 I dont care who they are from or where they are made so long as they are cheap and the capacities hold true.

You know what greg? That is a really good point!

I agree, it's just going to get sh*t dumped on it and knocked around. So... you would trust this thing? Your 40$ one, it rolls around OK and stuff?

Works fine... I mean it's not a particularly advanced piece of equipment. The casters arent the greatest, but it does roll -- mind you, it only has ~500 lb on it.

Dont get their automotive dollies. They suck balls. The casters are so cheap the car is impossible to roll. It's just too heavy with a 2000lb load and the casters bind. Probably the one thing I have bought from HF that I wish I hadnt.

- Greg -

Buy American..........

It is hard to know what is American (eg. all parts made & assembled in the U.S) these day. According to one of business mags (I think it was Forbes), the average Toyota has more "American" parts in it then the average Chevy

by a large margin. I think it 70% for the Toyota to 55% for the Chevy. So accordingly we should buy Toyotas.

Guest TeamNissan
It is hard to know what is American (eg. all parts made & assembled in the U.S) these day. According to one of business mags (I think it was Forbes), the average Toyota has more "American" parts in it then the average Chevy

by a large margin. I think it 70% for the Toyota to 55% for the Chevy. So accordingly we should buy Toyotas.

Thats very true and exactly why I dont care anymore.

Nothing is "American" anymore. sad, but true....

I have the 2000# job and 3 of the others. I have a 500 Caddy motor complete on the big one and it has been there for at least 3 yrs and moved to 3 buildings. I gave $59 for my big one on sale but it was 3-4 yrs ago. I gave $29 ea for the little ones at the same time. Toss the bolts! Buy 2 little ones and don't bother with the big one unless you want to build a car rotisserie out of them.

garage22.jpg

BUY the 2000lb folding engine stand!

Ive got three now and a 1250 lb stand, in the shp,

they are CHEAP but FAR MORE STABLE than the crappy $40-$60 stands with three legs that can get you seriously hurt if they tip, and THEY WILL TIP while tightening bolts or spining the engine or rolling the stand FAR easier than the 2000lb design

BUY the 2000lb folding engine stand!

Ive got three now and a 1250 lb stand' date=' in the shp,

they are CHEAP but FAR MORE STABLE than the crappy $40-$60 stands with three legs that can get you seriously hurt if they tip, and THEY WILL TIP while tightening bolts or spining the engine or rolling the stand FAR easier than the 2000lb design[/quote']

AGREED 100%...I had my motor on a HF $40 cheapie stand...picking up the complete motor after it tipped over and broke the case on a chromed alternator wasn't fun in itself, not to mention having to replace the brand new alternator that I had never gotten a chance to use. Luckily, that's all that was damaged in the fall, other than the mark it left in the concrete floor. The triangle might be the strongest shape, but not when it comes to engine stands.

Rule of thumb: If it doesn't have a stable foundation, with casters spread at least as wide as the engine itself, don't trust it.

Warren

Pep Boys has MUCH better deals on cherry pickers.

http://pepboys.shoplocal.com/pepboys/default.aspx?action=detail&flashbrowse=y&storeid=2314647&rapid=386573&pagenumber=1&listingid=-2093549708&ref=%2fpepboys%2fdefault.aspx%3faction%3dbrowsepageflash%26storeid%3d2314647%26pagenumber%3d1%26rapid%3d386573%26prvid%3dPepBoys-070408

HF cherry pickers are actually kind of expensive compared to the Torin Big Red stuff at pep boys. The thing has worked flawlessly for me. Never leaks down and has enough control to lower the engine as slow as you like.

HF also sells castors pretty cheap. Buy one more castor and make the 3 wheel unit a 4 wheel unit pretty easily. Save yourself fidy bucks.