HybridZ

Summit Heads Question

Hey guys,

First off I am sorry if this has been discussed before. I tried several searches, but I found nothing helpful.

I am in the process of rebuilding a 350 to drop in my 240z. I was originally going to use the stock heads and just go with a rebuild kit. Well after buying some degreaser and going to work on the heads, I found a crack between the middle two cylinders, so the head is trash. I was thinking of going with some "mild" upgraded heads and have been looking at the Summit brand heads. They come fully assembled with everything except rockers and have bigger valves than the stock heads (I can't remember the size right now) and a 67 cc combustion chamber.

My question is what does everyone thing of these heads? I can get them for just over $600 for the pair, which looks like a good deal to me. I just want some of your opinions on this head. I know there are better, but I really can't justify spending over $1,000 for heads when I am not going for a drag monster. This is going to be my daily driver when its on the road so max performance is not really an issue with me. The motor will bever see NOS or boost either. Would these heads work for my goals? Or would something like the Vortech heads be better?

Thanks Guys!

~Ryan~

If you get the vortec heads, you'll need to buy a new intake manifold as well. What I've found to be about the best "bang for the buck" head is the ProComp or Patriot heads from ebay for $699. They're aluminum, come built with decent components, and there's lots of material for porting if you want to play with them. The local places get about $900 or a little more for them, but the Ebay price is tough to beat. Its only about $150/set more than the vortecs, which you would spend on the intake anyway, and its aluminum so you save quite a bit of weight.

Those don't sound like too bad of a deal. I know about all the other stuff associated with the Vortec heads. I plan on buying a new intake manifold no matter what heads I go with so that's not too big of an issue. I am also looking into a mild cam with new pushrods, rockers and lifters. I want to up the performance a little but, but again this will not be a drag car, just a fun daily driver. Anyone else have any input?

Thanks

skip white sells pro comp aluminum heads on ebay....i think there 750 fully assembled and they flow good according to his charts for the money. I'd get the 190cc intake runners. He has real good feedback so it's not like he is selling junk. The heads are casted in australia and machined in the us by skip white so thats why they are so cheap. But always remember one thing...you get what you pay for.

Shop around and even keep an eye out for used heads. One of our local machine shops here keeps a pair of vortec heads ready to run and they've even done the machine work to accept higher lift cams. They sell these for $350!

I got a pair of Iron Eagle 215cc 2.08 heads that were just gone through for $500 which was a really good deal at the time. I just called a different machine shop and they knew a guy who was selling them.

Watch Craigslist . com for the 96 up Vortecs. I bought a complete 97 truck motor with Vortec heads for $350 ( I had just bought it for the heads as it was supposedly knocking) When I tore it down I found 1 bad rod bearing and no wear to the cylinders. I've used the heads on my other motor and took the truck motor to the machine shop to start my 383 stroker with roller cam...

Remember when you build mild you want to build for torque not HP. Vortec heads are the ticket for good torquey street motors, they respond well to the small tube (aka: cheap) headers and mild cams and small carbs... All of these + LOWBUCK!! You can build a great street toy that wont embarass itself at a local dragstrip all using parts others have thrown to the side and sell for CHEAP!!

A stock 350 Gen 1 (non roller-cheapest to build) bottom end, Vortec heads with the necessary valve spring mods, a modest lift cam in the 470-490 lift range ( pleanty of buildups online to follow) headers, dual plenium high rise intake ( like the Crosswind or RPM AirGap) and you have a good solid pump gas daily driver that will fry tires all day long.....

One of the other problems with the vortec heads is that you are limited on your cam lift without machining the guide down. When you machine the guide down, you need to run a roller tip rocker or the increased sideloads on the reduced guide will cause premature failure/wear. Most of the aftermarket heads use a longer valve, so that they can still maintain a safe guide length while also allowing higher valve lifts. If you plan on running a pretty small cam, the vortecs will probably be fine.

Definately keep your eyes open for used stuff...craiglist, recycler, ebay, etc...

I just bought an engine from a guy on Craigslist...paid $1000 for it. it had:

Dart Pro-1 heads (1500)

Scat Forged crank (500)

6" Eagle H-beam rods (400)

Probe forged 11:1 pistons (400)

Milodon oil pan (200)

Comp Cams roller rockers (300)

Edelbrock Torker II intake manifold (100)

....and he threw in a brand new set of Hooker Super Comp chevelle headers (I already sold those for $375).

Thats about $3500 worth of goodies. I think I did good. I don't even mind that the block was cracked in the lifter valley. My point is, the deals are out there, you just have to find them.

Wow, that is one good deal. I have been looking for deals like that, but it just seems like none ever pop up around here. Our junkyards are not worth a crap either. If you are even able to find something in one, they want just as much money as the new parts cost, so its a complete waste. I have been keeping an eye on ebay, but there is never anything even remotely close. Craigslist is a good idea, I have not really checked them.

I'm not sure I want to mess with the stuff associated with the Vortec's. Plus if I absolutely needed to I could reuse my rockers and intake if I went with something else.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I am just going to keep looking and see what pops up.

So no one has tried those Summit heads, huh? To me it seems like they would be a good value for someone looking for a slight boost in performance without breaking the bank. Which is where I am at...

I got a few good deals by being friendly with the local machine shops, I got a set of Eagle heads for what was owed on them. The previous owner dropped them off for some machine work, and over a year later never came to pick them up, his bill was $385. that is what the owner sold them to me for!! I also lucked out when I was looking for parts for my stroker in my Jeep. I needed a 258 crank and rods, he had a client who wanted to go to a 360 but needed to sell his 258 first, he gave him my number, and we worked out a deal. It's all about the networking!! Keith

I got a few good deals by being friendly with the local machine shops, I got a set of Eagle heads for what was owed on them. The previous owner dropped them off for some machine work, and over a year later never came to pick them up, his bill was $385. that is what the owner sold them to me for!! I also lucked out when I was looking for parts for my stroker in my Jeep. I needed a 258 crank and rods, he had a client who wanted to go to a 360 but needed to sell his 258 first, he gave him my number, and we worked out a deal. It's all about the networking!! Keith

Not to jack my own thread, lol, but how do you like the stroker in the Jeep? I've got a 82 CJ-5 with a 258 in it right now. I also have a line on a complete 4.0 that I was thinking of building into a stroker.

I LOVE IT!!! with 35" tires and 3:31 it has power to spare, the build is a 91 HO head and a 96 block 258 rods and crank, I'm running a 2003 intake and stock TB, megasquirt V-3 handles the fuel and spark, with 23 lb @45psi injectors. I'm putting 4:56 gears in it now and it should damn near idle over the rocks in 4 lo. Keith