HybridZ

280z sun roof.

CalifaThugz

I would think long and hard before you do that to your Z.....

ESPECIALLY since people go through the trouble of cutting of and rewelding roofs to get rid of the sunroofs people install!

If you really want a sunroof on your Z, why not trade the shell with someone that doesn't?

Plus the roof is a huge structural element of the Z, and you'd be cutting a huge hole in it.

Mario

don't do it! you'll ruin a perfectly good chassis! the roof is convex and when you install a sunroof you distort the metal to some degree, also theere is no roof support beyond the enges so it just kinda flops in there, and many of us would never buy a chassis that had a sunroof installed

would think long and hard before you do that to your Z.....

Definetly my car had one when I bought it and it had leaked and rusted and caused all the headliner to fall out. Im not sure what Im going to do but I might just permanetly seal mine up with metal.

Thats another thing, your roof looses its strength. My roof is like a piece of paper with the sunroof out, and Im sure it isnt much stronger with it in.

Anyone ever patched a roof?

the steel in thin I know that, my roof had some serious dents in it. I bet we spent the better part of a weekend just on the roof. After we were done with hammer we took out the bondo and we still used a gallon a half. Do not put in a sunroof, you WILL kick yourself in about a year.

Wow ha ha thanks guys, I like to see something that everybody disagrees on... I really don't want to put one on now. The guy that was going to do it was going to charge me 650$. You guys saved me money and a big hassle of trying to get it fixed I guess... Thanks!

My Hybridz project 76 280Z has a sunroof, it came that way, yeah I know all about it being a no no, but here on the east coast finding a rust free body is very scarce, I am doing a lot of welding bracing to the frame and body and I'm going to keep the sunroof there at least for now, it doesn't leak and the car won't be a daily driver when done. Will I weld it shut someday? maybe, roll bar? Hmmm, also maybe, but it is not going to stop me from finishing this project!

Pics are in my gallery

Greg

My least favorite thing about my Z is its sunroof... some prior owner not only had one installed, he apparently went out of his way to install the biggest one mathematically possible to fit in a Z roof. I do not want to weld it at this point, so I am considering a metal replacement of the glass, or metallic tint, anything to mask the disfigurement. When I drove it home from San Diego to Iowa, I stopped at the first Target I found to cut up and tape into place a window shade underneath the glass. I couldn't cope with the idea of a June trip across Southern Cal, Nevada, and then the Midwest with the sun beating on my head. Now the problem is just that it looks so wrong. Keep it original! Probably the only time you will hear that from me, lol.

My Hybridz project 76 280Z has a sunroof, it came that way, yeah I know all about it being a no no, but here on the east coast finding a rust free body is very scarce, I am doing a lot of welding bracing to the frame and body and I'm going to keep the sunroof there at least for now, it doesn't leak and the car won't be a daily driver when done. Will I weld it shut someday? maybe, roll bar? Hmmm, also maybe, but it is not going to stop me from finishing this project!

Pics are in my gallery

Greg

Smae story with mine, I kinda like it even though it weakens the car. Ill make up for it with the strut tower bars I have on the way...

Maybe later, a t top s30z? Id love to see that.

it doesn't weaken anything, the roof only has structure around the sides and front, now you cut those and the car is gonna fold, but the roof itself has nothing to do with the strusture of the car, and I'm gonna guess 16 ga.? the problem is ther roof is convex and only suppoerted by the outside perimiter where it meets with the structure so it seems flimseier than it is, it just distorts the convex when you add a flat sunroof to it, and the weight in the middle of an unsopported sheet of metal isn't a good idea either

Thank you Sparks280zt,

I think the pictures I took are still up here. The sunroof works great, no leaks, just some wind leak noise but that is at a significant speed (around 110 or 120) and I know how to take care of that. The way it fits and works it looks like it came from the factory that way and it is fully electrical. I actually had it done in California, mostly because my wife loves sun roofs. Structurally it did not do much to the car and if it did it actually made the roof area slightly stiffer. About if it changes the sheetmetal in the roof by adding weight, the answer is not at all and my car proves that without a doubt. At 120 you can drive with it popped up in the back, closed, partially open, fully open , and operate it and there is no issues either. You do hear a pretty good suction noise when you first open it up at higher speeds. There is a slower speed that when you drive with it all the way open you get wind cavitation but once I make a slight raised area that will go away also or a sun visor (I know some purists will hate that statement, but this is Hybrid Z not purist Z). Besides this car has power windows, door locks, remote auto windows crack or full down, it is getting adjustable power seats, mirrors, and hatch unlock (open,close, lift about 4 inches and hold open at that point). I won't get into what is going in as the drive train at this time but it will be much more modern and a very good power range. I am just very lucky that my wife is into this stuff and does not mind spending the money if she can have fun driving it. I also for the fun of it checked to see if it helped with wind resistance and it des seem to trip the boundary layer of the wind and bring it down closer to the roof line along the hatch. This was done in a real wind chamber so I would tend to believe the results they found.

• Like 1

ill trade someone roofs if they want a sunroof lol

its just sheet metal up there, it has no strucutural value at all. thats part of the problem, it was just sheet metal on my car that had a hole cut in it and was somehow suppose to support a 20lb sunroof. well it couldnt, and i need to get another roof now.