HybridZ

What parts to pull from a Q45?

Ford Falcon

Hey viewers,

Haven't posted here in awhile and apologies for the dumb question, but I had to ask. I have a complete '92 Q45 in my garage sitting next to my '88 300ZX Z31. My plan is to take all the part off the Q that would be worth using on my hybrid Z. Note: My aim is to use either a Z32 manual transmission, or a 350z/G35 manual transmission.

Apart from the engine, the wiring loom and the ECU, can you guys list any other parts I should keep before I part out the rest of the Q, or send it to the junk yard? I am thinking about keeping the differential, but not yet sure if that will fit easily with my Z31.

Later,

Dave

I PM'ed you my list but I'll go ahead and post the same here in case anyone else is doing the same.

As said above, definitely hang on to the diff and axles. Its a 3.54 R200V with TTZ style output flanges and therefore TTZ axles (not exactly the same, different lengths, but that's it). Definitely, definitely hang on to the wheel bearings/hubs. They're the same as the TTZ's and are needed for the axles anyways. If you end up not using them, you can generally get pretty good money out of them as well.

I'd personally recommend using the Q45 differential as it would be very strong and with the lower ratio, you should see better performance with a boosted setup as well as better fuel economy.

Keep the fuel pump, its a TTZ pump which are very powerful units.

You may also hang on to the rear parking brake assembly with the cables, definitely don't cut the cables. I'd have to double check to be for sure but if they're the same as the Z32, which pretty much the entire suspension setup is, those cables and drum brake assemblies are pretty sought after by the Z32 guys from what I've seen. I had numerous requests for them when I was parting some Z32's I have.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info guy, especially mtcookson. You're a wealth of information!

I thought I'd check the ECU codes and make sure it's working ok before I pull the engine. The 34 code says the knock sensors need replacing. I called a local Infiniti dealership and they want $168 for each! I tried Autozone and Kragen, thinking they might be a better price, they are charging $179 each! There are a few eBay places doing them for anywhere between $60-$68. I'm tempted to get them from eBay. Let me know if anyone recommends any business on eBay, or any other business that deals in Infiniti parts. Thanks.