HybridZ

vg30dett weight vs vh45dett weight

Guest Swifty Devil

• Administrators
so where did the 22.6 pounds go that is noted above in the 'green scale readout photo'?

And it looks to me like the chains are tight---heck suspension from the chains could account for this skewing of numbers...

(where is that 'throwing petrol on the fire smiley' ;^p )

roll.gifshy.gifwink.gifasd.giflol.giflaugh.giflol.giflinguaccia.gifcool.gifwhistle.gifincastrato.gif

Tony, I have concluded that you "are the" stick that stirs the pot. :lmao: Still love ya anyway.. wink.gif

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's that bowing down smiley? :bow: ?

Paul, it's about freakin' time we saw some definitive numbers on those engines.

More than ever I'd really like to see some definitive weights on the 1UZ now, which was built extremely compact compared to the larger VH. These all aluminum DOHC V8 engines aren't nearly as heavy as one would guess from their size, but people should still keep expectations on planet earth.

• Administrators

More than ever I'd really like to see some definitive weights on the 1UZ now, which was built extremely compact compared to the larger VH. These all aluminum DOHC V8 engines aren't nearly as heavy as one would guess from their size, but people should still keep expectations on planet earth.

Me too. The 1UZ looks like a tidy package. Lighter than the VH45DE possibly? After becoming one dollar poorer from loosing a bet that the LM7, (GM iron Block 5.3, LSx derivative) from my wifes 01 Suburban was going to be lighter than the VH in identical trim, (the 5.3 ended up being almost identical in weight to the VH45DE, lost a dollar in that bet), shy.gif I'm not about to make any claims either way.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=125246

Guest MidShipCivic

There isn't any myth busted, install your engines people forget weights.

They are only rough figures, so don't preach about either engine.

MSEngineering

David.

Me too. The 1UZ looks like a tidy package. Lighter than the VH45DE possibly?

It's been a while since I've seen the numbers on the 1UZ but I remember it being some where around 30 lbs lighter. The early 1UZ doesn't have the head flow that the VH has though. The VH nakes to the wheels what the 1U does at the crank. The later VVT 1UZ's heads are pretty good and the make the same as the VH's flow and HP wise.

• Administrators
There isn't any myth busted, install your engines people forget weights.

They are only rough figures, so don't preach about either engine.

MSEngineering

David.

You are an engineer right? As such, when is empirical data being presented, not only in text form but with photos as well, that is clearly answering the question asked, regarding the difference in weight between two ENGINEs, deemed as rough, and shouldn't be preached? The question asked in the very first post was;

im mainly wondering which engine would be heavier, i can handle if the vh45dett would be around the same weight.

Then this claim;

The vh45de is around 100Lbs lighter than the vg30dett.

That claim is being made all over the net in many other forums, becoming urban myth, just as the JATO equipped car that smashed into the side of a mountain!

I am in no way knocking or denouncing the VH45DE as an inferior engine in any way shape or form. The VH is an incredible engine! That is why I bought the Q back from Insurance, because I really like this engine. In fact, my personal opinion is that I prefer it over the VG30DE and VG30DETT in pretty much any application! Per this discussion, I presented empirical data answering the question asked! It is not lighter, though if measuring displacement per lb, the VH45DE wins hands down! :2thumbs: In fact, I am doing a V-8 conversion in my Z-32 and my VH45DE is one of the engine choices that I am considering along with GM LSx! Either way, the VG30DE is coming out, for good!

Just as side blurb on overall vehicle weights during an engine conversion, many aspects of the “car”, outside of the scope of the engine conversion are typically altered. In most cases, various items, such as wiring, vehicle sub systems etc, are removed such as Air Conditioning, ABS pumps and related ECU/wiring, sometimes the interior stripped, etc. which therefore alters the weight of the CAR. Those changes will make any weight change as result of the engine alone, irrelevant. You could install an all Iron Big Block Chevy in a Z-32, completely gut the Z-32, then another guy can install a Geo Metro 3 cylinder in his Z-32, not touching anything else and the BBC car could weigh less. That does not mean the Big Block Chevy would be lighter than the Geo 3 cylinder. :wink:

Again, Per the title of this thread, which ENGINE, so yes, in closing of this sermon, I still preach, MYTH busted!

:lmao:Regarding "preaching", when listeing to a sermon, some words of wisdom... Man who fart in church, sit in in his own pew... :lmao:

Guest MidShipCivic
You are an engineer right? As such, when is empirical data being presented, not only in text form but with photos as well, that is clearly answering the question asked, regarding the difference in weight between two ENGINEs, deemed as rough, and shouldn't be preached? The question asked in the very first post was;

Both items you have are missing bolts, fluids and of course plenty of other parts.

As one may able to transfer a part that would install into their chassis the other won't a common item that is a problem on the VH are the headers and intake manifold.

What fasteners? Titanium? Steel?

What intake manifold? It may be changed

Fluid capacity of blocks add weight ?

Aftermarket flywheel?

It all matters not some hunk of metal hanging on a chain.

Are you going to build it thus changing the physical properties of the metal shifting the weight some more.

100lbs lighter ? Users that said that probably don't have the engine nor did the masses believe it.

Type the phrase in yahoo.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geu7_ZzERJ4CsA8ypXNyoA?p=The+vh45de+is+around+100Lbs+lighter&y=Search&fr=moz2&ei=UTF-8

It's simple a rough weight that will help planners select a larger engine that isn't going through balance off to the point where they cannot fix their compromise.

Common sense before myths and non elaborate explanations any day of the year.

MSEngineering

David.

• Administrators

It truly amazes me when a real effort is made to provide useful and accountable data and all some people can do is argue their agenda.

The goal here was to provide a package weight as Nissan produced it. A fair starting point. A foundation. If your installation differs, then so might the weight. It is impossible to account for all variables. Why does that even need to be said?

Its up to the common sense of the owner to decide how valuable this information is or is not, per his application.

Thread closed.