HybridZ

Potential Hybrid Engine? M3 V8... 420HP at 445 lbs.

RTz

• Administrators

The new BMW M3 has been announced... 4.0 liter all aluminum V8, 420 HP at 8300 RPM, 295 ft/lbs at 3900... 85% of which is available at 2,000 rpm. According to BMW, it weighs 445 lbs, 33 lbs less than the base 3-Series' inline-six.

These vid's are a little lame but there are some nice sounds and 'visual information'...

http://www.bmwarchiv.de/video/bmw-m3-coupe-2007.html

http://www.bmwarchiv.de/video/bmw-m3-v8-motor.html

I think the problem here like with most M swaps so far will be cost.

I absolutly love the M motors and if i had my way I would have a turbo e46 motor in my car.... but there are damn expensive! BMW has the smoothest engines that I have ever driven and driving my 330ci everyday is a pleasure.

Guest TeamNissan

Ah you know I totaly spaced on the M part lol.

The cost is a shame because the e46 m motor is damn nice. Idk though I'm becoming very disallusioned since my gf got a 95 325ic. They are so finicky, one day work and run great the next like crap. Every problem is common too lol like nothing ever goes wrong on one that hasnt on a 100k others. Maybe its a e36 thing :-(.

• Administrators
Idk though I'm becoming very disallusioned since my gf got a 95 325ic.

I hear ya. I own an '88 M3... It has been mostly trouble free. Some of my friends and family have various models and ages of BMW's with mixed levels of reliability... from impressive to disturbing. However, engine issues have been nearly nonexistent... I wouldn't hesitate to use a BMW powerplant.

Guest TeamNissan

Ya, I mean I'm not downing them and my experience is def lacking so I cant say much but some things on the motorand car just BEG the question, why? Plastic impeller on the water pump? Plastic housing for the thermostat? The coils are a recall. The o2 is one of the hardest to reach in my entire life. The trans is GM and while smooth isnt reliable at all. Dont even get me started on the auto convertible top either, 3 sensors, 2 motors and none work right lol. I have had to work on and change everything I just brought up, so annoying. I still like the car too I just expect a little more from a bmw.

Sorry to get the thread off track.

P.S. I also had to change the head gasket and while not the cars fault I'll tell you it was VERY annoying. I worked right off the manual too.

Ive never had any trouble out of any of my BMWs (Knocks on wood). My last car was a 93 325is which ran really strong the whole time I had it... I sold it with around 240K miles.

I have heard many maintence nightmare stories from M owners the majority were e36 M3 guys. However most all of the problems were things that should have been taken care of with regular maintence... things like waterpumps and a/c compresssors, fans flying off etc ;)

I wouldnt hesitate to use a M motor either... but its defintly no L series, it going to take alot more work to make everything work right. There is plenty of aftermarket for them however, with studs and a headgasket they can take some pretty good boost and things get crazy with you put forged internals in....

If i was to run across the right deal I would pick one of for a swap

From

http://www.kenrockwell.com/bmw/m3/2007/engine.htm

timing-chains-769.jpg

Sadly it's a spinner, not a torquer, so it may not have the effortless American luxury of larger eights

Torque: Only 295 ft-pounds of torque (400 N-m) at 3,900 RPM, sadly less than a BMW 540. Torque is at least 251 ft-lbs (340 N-m) from 2,000 to 6,500 RPM. BMW uses this weaker torque to let it use lighter drivetrain components to save weight. This V8's torque is barely 10% more than the old six.

I'll stick with the LS motor

Guest TeamNissan

Thats a VERY overly complicated and down right gorgeous engine lol. I would hate to work on it but I really really like looking at it :-).

I took a hard second look at it, it's looking more like a 90 degree crank, but the perspective makes it tough to tell, though all the 180* cranks I'd seen didn't have the same polarity next to each other like that one would be if it was 180*.

Guess I just always see what I wanna see :D