HybridZ

Speedhut gauge faces installed, finally!

2003z

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe that one user stated in another thread (or maybe even this one, I didn't go back and look) about using glow in the dark paint on the needle. He said it worked decently well, however the paint only lasts a few months at most and then need to be repainted. This isn't an option for me because once I finish with this gauge face install, i'd like to be done with it for good! I've taken the dash out too many times for my liking and it has gotten easier each time but it is still a PITA to do alone with only kne set of hands. Lol

Just an update for anyone that is searching through the treads that come across this one. I installed my gauge faces and I LOVE them. It completly solves any issues of being able to see the gauges at night. The only thing I can say negative about them is that the wiring is very sensitive. The part that actually goes intothe guage face is tempermental and if u crimp it too much or pull it too far, the gauge will not work. I had to take them back out ad super glue the wire to the back of the face after pullin on it too hard I guess. They work perfectly well and I love them but just be careful when installing them.

• 1 month later...

Just an update for anyone that is searching through the treads that come across this one. I installed my gauge faces and I LOVE them. It completly solves any issues of being able to see the gauges at night. The only thing I can say negative about them is that the wiring is very sensitive. The part that actually goes intothe guage face is tempermental and if u crimp it too much or pull it too far, the gauge will not work. I had to take them back out ad super glue the wire to the back of the face after pullin on it too hard I guess. They work perfectly well and I love them but just be careful when installing them.

I too have had some issues with wiring and flickering speedhut gauge faces. My extra "Y" connector actually turned out to the be the culprit (I think) as one of the connections had partially pulled out. A visual inspection looked fine, but as I wiggled the wires the backlight would flicker. A *very* gentle tug on each of the plugs revealed the bad connection...it literally slid right out of the connector. The wire and connector looked as though it had not been assembled well in the first place, but since I had a spare, I R&R'ed the faulty one that I have since repaired and will keep as a spare in the car.

Oddly enough, due to the wiring issue, my clock had never worked so Speedhut sent me a new clock which I had not got around to installing yet. Since I replaced the "Y" splice, it seems to be working flawlessly even though it isn't even directly connected to it, so looks like I now also have a spare clock. Truth is, I still think the wiring in the clock is suspect which was temporarily resolved be me pushing and pulling the wiring, so it'll probably have to R&R'ed as well in the future.

So the big question in my mind is ordering gauges from Speedhut. If the daisy chain wiring is the same as what they used for the dial faces, I'm not so sure they'll get more of my money after all. I know Speedhut will take care of any related issues, but who wants to deal with pulling gauges etc to track gremlins. The dials were ugly enough for an "in car" install (hands and arms were shredded) and I'm not ready to keep pulling gauges due to cheap wiring. I'm hoping they are better quality wire because I *really* want a set and have the money burning a hole in my pocket...

R/

D

I agree. After finally now having moe all installed, I really do not want to do it again. I love love love the gauge faces but it frustrated me beyond belief. I did it with te dash nearly taken out of the car too so it should have been easier. I removed the gauges from the car completely as well when installing the faces to make it easier and to also paint the needles orange. After supergluing the wires to the gauge face it's self I have not had any issues. I still get a flickering but I am not sure if it is the same issue as you described or if it is a bad ground. Either way it's not something I want to do any time soon. My speedo gauge face was put on a little crooked and I didn't notice until I had them all the way installed. I am not even goig to bother with fixing it for quite some time. I can live with it being around 5 mph off. Haha

• 4 weeks later...

I have just finished installing these gauge faces...

I had Speedhut send me an identical Tach (font, face color and indigo) so that it looks like a factory unit... It has shift lights in it and I also had them add a check engine light (I have an LS1 so it's one wire to the PCM) and also they added LEDs for the blinkers! Looks awesome!

I will post pics soon....

Has anyone wired this into the stock dimmer? From what I understand, these lights will dim if wired that way... I'd love to hear how you guys wired it into the dimmer if you've done that, otherwise, let's figure it out together! I will be starting tomorrow on the wiring

Well, the answer was so obvious I feel silly...

Take all the old lights out of the guages, find the beginning of the daisy chain for power, and power up the speedhut transformer off of the former wires that went to one of the lights... easy!