HybridZ

AMC 401 engine transplant

RedNeckZ

:coollook: Got a big question for everyone. Has anyone ever done an AMC 401 engine transplant into a Z? I have a spare block sitting in my garage and have been looking at the possiblity of this engine into my second Z. I have done a search and got nothing from it. Any help would be great, thanks, Rich.:burnout:

• 1 month later...
:coollook: Got a big question for everyone. Has anyone ever done an AMC 401 engine transplant into a Z? I have a spare block sitting in my garage and have been looking at the possiblity of this engine into my second Z. I have done a search and got nothing from it. Any help would be great, thanks, Rich.:burnout:

It would probably fit. I had a '70 AMX 390, same engine, way back in the day. Its a small block so size should not be an issue. Mine ran a Borg Warner 4 speed T10 transmission. Making a different tranny fit may be an issue but AMC tended to use a lot of off the shelf parts so perhaps some GM tranny could be made to work.

BTW I beat the hell out of that 390 and never had an issue, engine was bullet proof. The drive line on the other hand sucked, weak rear end, axels designed by an idiot with key-ways that snapped all the time. I do wish I still had that AMX.

It shoud fit but your going to have to find a trans for it it will probably 727 form a matador or hornet or whatever Amc Used Chrysler transmissions and Chevy transmision, but the used here own Bell housing yes the Blocks are strong, but parts are kind of expensive and getting hard to find. there oil system is not al that great but it can be addressed usually a new pump /and or timing cover will fix it,Along with a oil return line,good luck!

there oil system is not al that great but it can be addressed usually a new pump /and or timing cover will fix it,Along with a oil return line,good luck!

That is very true. Oil had a tendency to climb the sides of the pan, even with windage trays. Penski finally fixed that for TransAm racing by getting SCCA to change the rules and allow dry sump oiling, its good to be the king!

yeah its an issue for sure I had my AMC 401 in my Cherokee rebuilt 4 or 5 years ago and the guy told me said this 5 dollar return oil gallley line will save my engine and its rear mains,he said had the AMC engnrs. done this there cars would have been even better.. no kidding being the king is good!!

yeah its an issue for sure I had my AMC 401 in my Cherokee rebuilt 4 or 5 years ago and the guy told me said this 5 dollar return oil gallley line will save my engine and its rear mains,he said had the AMC engnrs. done this there cars would have been even better.. no kidding being the king is good!!

But even with that issue the engine was bullet proof for the street. I street raced my '70 AMX every Friday night for 5 years and never had a problem. Just kept the RPM limit at 5000, short shifted 1st and 2nd and rarely got beat. My biggest claim to fame was beating a 454/450HP Chevelle…twice. He was in total denial, especially when I lied and told him I was stock! But there was that '69 Z28 that was NOT a Z28 that embarrassed me. Tuned out to be a 350, not a 302 and the engine was built to the hilt. He took me for a ride after we raced and scared the crap out of me, thing as not a street car by any stretch. Ya gotta be careful who you pick on, ya never really know what they are running. Ahhhh, Glory Days!!!