HybridZ

280z fuel pressure regulator

raelsmith21

my 77 280 will not start and i believe it is because the engine is flooding. when the battery is connected the fuel pump runs and the car will not start when it is cranked. i disconnected the leads for the fuel pump and used starter fluid through the air intake to get the car to start and run for a short time. this leads me to believe that the fuel pressure regulator is faulty and is not limiting the fuel flow to the engine. what else might be stopping the car from starting normally, and is there any way i can test the pressure regulator to see if it is faulty?

you can connect a vacume hose to it and suck on it. if it will hold vacume against your tounge cahnces are it's good. if you remove the cover to your AFM, with the key on you can manually move the airflap counterweight and hear if your pump is working. I would bet it's not flooding but more than likely starving and if it is you must check the condition of the fuel tank. The fuel inlet pipe to the pump has a very fine brass screen at the bottom of it and will clog easily with varnish or rust or sealer if anyone before you has reconditioned it. If this is the case it is very easy to move your feed line to the drain plug hole by draining the tank, drilling out the hole with a 7/16 bit, using a 1/4 " NP tap to tap the hole and use a brass 90 degree elbow with barbed nipple, about 12" of regular fuel line and an inline fuel filter(clear so you can see the crap) before the pump. If all this is not what your up against , good luck with your ride cuz that's about all I can figure. Enjoy The ride!

First, invest in an FSM. They're not that much and you could have looked up the answer immediately.

You haven't done nearly enough narrow the problem down to the FPR and frankly, I don't think it's likely. However, it's very easy to test, you need to buy a pressure guage and splice a T into your fuel hose after the filter. Then disconnect the starter signal wire and have someone crank the car (to run the fuel pump). The pressure climb to 36 and stay there.

First thing you need to do if the car is not starting is pull the coil wire and put it near a ground. Is it sparking when the car turns over?

Then repeat this test with a sparkplug wire and a plug.

If you're getting spark, pull the plugs and look at them. Are they in good shape? Soaked in fuel? If they're firing and they're dry, use a screwdriver as a stethoscope and listen to the injectors. Are they firing? Check the injector ground connection to the battery.