HybridZ

why not a honda

iceman2k6

NOt to mention I always want to drive above 7k all day just to get some power out of it. TO get the most out of it you gotta rev the ♥♥♥♥ out of it and yeah it's fun at first but gets a tiring after awhile. SR or maybe a 4G63 with one of their bell housings to be able to use a toyota W-series transmissions. Then you just have to have your intake manifold modified to have the throttle body on the other side. 4G63's are like the Chuck Norris of 4 cylinders. It's just the drivetrain that's the achillies heel to DSM's. The 6 bolt engines are beefy as they come.

http://www.japaneseauto.com/mitstoyotatransadaptors.html

Well, that's why you get an early type r tranny :D

Never go bellow 4k, even on the freeway in 5th. But you're right. After the novelty of rev count wears off you come to the realization "I want more". And as with MOST high rev motors, more HP isn't easy since it was engineered to a very high tolerance tuned very specifically. Turbo motors are great because they're designed with brutal industrial strength first and foremost to withstand boost pressures.

Don't get me wrong either...the F20/F22C is a great engine but in a S30..just don't think it's the greatest engine for it as the best bang for the buck. I don't think I've ever heard of the engine running on anything else beside AEM EMS which is a pretty big chunk of change. Not to mention the engine is still pretty pricey since it's still relatively new. I just got a reply back from the maker of the bellhousing and it's really cheap at just 275. Just Toyota stuff for the tranny and then a mitsu FWD flywheel and pressure plate. I think I know what's going in next and time to start piecing stuff together. Thank god 4G's are cheap even for a turbo longblock. Even 2.4 stroker setups are available for them..be it a 4G64 oem type setup or a company like Crower setup.

• 3 weeks later...
Its not a bad idea, the motor is a good. I think the biggest reason that you don't see many of them swapped or ever seen one swapped is the motor is relatively expensive in comparison to more popularly swapped and more powerful (in stockish form). I still think it would be cool to see an FJ20 honda 4cyl in a 240z, so if you can afford it go for it!

Tyson

:icon52:the fj20 is a nissan motor.....that hurt!

I personally think a great candidate for swapping in a 4 cylinder is the 2.4L turbo in the Dodge SRT4. They make more torque than a 2.4L should seemingly be capable of..and at lowish revs too. The aftermarket is HUGE and cheap. This same block is being used in RWD applications already so it would likely work in a Z. The engine looks to be fairly short on the height scale, which is good. You can safely make close to 500Whp on stock internals...hello?

This engine with some boltons in a light Z chassis would fly!

I personally think a great candidate for swapping in a 4 cylinder is the 2.4L turbo in the Dodge SRT4. They make more torque than a 2.4L should seemingly be capable of..and at lowish revs too. The aftermarket is HUGE and cheap. This same block is being used in RWD applications already so it would likely work in a Z. The engine looks to be fairly short on the height scale, which is good. You can safely make close to 500Whp on stock internals...hello?

This engine with some boltons in a light Z chassis would fly!

Very true I have an SRT-4 and it's a blast to drive. I've heard of people wanting to use the Jeep tranny and drivetrain for a rwd conversion. Never actually heard of anyone doing it though.

Yes there are some srt-4's with stock bottom ends that are over 500WHP. It's pretty easy to make power and torque with this motor. I'll be happy with 300whp maybe 400. I'll be doing a "bastard" turbo set up that should allow for 300 easily with fuel and supporting mods.