HybridZ

Tokico Suspension Problem / Suspension Techniques - WARNING TO BUYERS!

I have a squatting problem and i want coilovers for the rear. I put the stock springs in the rear because my 25" tires rubbed a little when i get on it. Is the someone who sells just the rear coilovers at a decent price? Or should i buy some spacers for the springs to make it harder in the rear if even avalible.I dont have a lot of money and the tokicos knock my teeth out they ride so harsh in the frt. Any help or pointers would be great thanks kirk

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know this thread is getting old, but I thought I would share my experience of Tokico products.

I have a '73 240Z with the Tokico Blue shocks and Tokico "lowering" springs. It handles well and does not wander or squirm.

I have had a good experience of the Tokico products so far. I bough the shocks and springs about 9 months ago. I did not speak with anyone from Tokico directly, but I did e-mail them to ask the spring rate and they replied promptly and answered my questions directly.

A few things come to mind after reading this thread. Nobody has mentioned the spring rates, free length, or any other critical spec of the springs or what bump stop is being used. It seems that these are important facts when talking about the ride height, remaining travel and so on.

The Tokico "lowering" springs are 140 lbs/inch (front) and 170 lbs/inch (rear). I do not know the free length. I used the bump stops that came with the Tokico dampers.

My car started out as a stock, high milage daily driver. No mods (except the typical slot mag wheels). Stock springs, dead shocks, and so on. I bought the car for time trial use at the local club tracks.

After the first track event(dragging the door handles in each turn) I replace the shocks and springs with Tokico springs and shocks. It drives very well with the Tokico parts. Admittedly, my base of comparison is limited, but I have no complaints.

The Tokico springs are a bit short and have no pre-load at full droop. They actually move freely in the spring seats, front and rear (at full droop). With a static load the first few coils touch, as described in prior posts. The apparent travel (as viewed on the damper rod) is about 1", not including any compression of the bump stop. The coils are closely spaced, but there is about 1 wire diameter (1/4"?) between each later and about 8 layers. This should add up to well over the 1" of obvious remaining travel and still leave room for bump stop compression. When driving I have never felt any thing that indicates the hard impact of metal-on-metal. The paint is still clean and intact at the surfaces that would touch it it coil bound. For what it is worth, the car had no bump stops when I bought it and the stock springs would coil bind at full compression. There were clean spots in the facing surfaces of the springs to prove it.

The dampers fit well and work well. No fuss, no muss.

The car drives well. Around town it is on the firm side, but not unbearable for an enthusiast. The suspension does bottom on large bumps here and there. On the track it is a bit soft but handles well. I do not notice any banging or obvious harsh bottoming out on the track. I am using 225/50-15 Falken ZE912 tires and the suspension is clearly better than the tires.

Just my two cents worth.

Peter