HybridZ

Tokico Suspension Problem / Suspension Techniques - WARNING TO BUYERS!

They were coil bound the whole way down? They don't look like it in the photos on the previous page. Plus that would mean that you didn't have any suspension at all. If the first 4 coils were bound or close to it, then that is a normal progressive spring, as previously explained by John Coffey. The front Tokico springs are supposed to be that way. What they shouldn't do is bind ALL of the coils before the stut top hits the bump stop.

If thats the definition of it then no, they werent coil bound, i apologize for the mistake. The springs had extremely little travel down the whole spring, before they then got coil bound. Thats what we thought was the problem

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just my 2 cents about Tokico. I put illuminas and springs on my car in 1985. Two years ago I noticed that my rear springs had sagged-the car was sitting lower and causing a vibration under acceleration in the rear end. I called Tokico. I told the guy of my problem, and that it had been 21 years since I installed the springs and couldn't find the receipts. He asked if I could prove that I had owned the car that long and I faxed him a copy of the dated title. He sent me new springs. I could not ask for more than that.

Mike

Just my 2 cents about Tokico. ... He sent me new springs. I could not ask for more than that.

Mike

I'd agree. In my meetings with Tokico twice/yr at Sema and locally, and all Tokico sales I've never had an issue at all. I've only dealt with their struts, never the springs. Even an Illumina set we sent to England ended up with a busted adjustable red dial and Tokico direct just sent out a replacement dial next day. Kept the folks over the pond happy. I know John interacts with them regularly and it's been positive from his comments and he's distributing their line:smile:. Certainly Tokico's been stand up in my experience.

I've never gotten behind any non-coilover springs for the Z's as the Z's vary too much (as was posted previously) in weight and the springs aren't so dialed in for any specific use so it's a bit of a crap shoot who's happy and who's not with end results. Although they're great for getting many into modifications quite affordably in the early stages. We've replaced every non coilover brand for customers at one time or another with our own coilovers to make matches where the other result wasn't as expected. For coilbind allowance the Hypercoils have the greatest available coil travel of the typical brands I'm aware of.

As for the warnings etc, with any strut install/spring change/ride height change the available travel should certainly be checked after the install both statically and after some maximum compressions (scout trip on your worst bumps/pseudo FIA curbs :-) ) if it might be questionable (slide your bump stop down to the bottom of strut piston when at static and see if it finishes right at the very top again after some driving on your max bumps etc). Easier to check with springs with greater gaps between the coils.

One customers car I was watching at an autox had some funny chattering characteristic on the course at our annual All Nissan/Datsun meet. It had full coilovers/widebody/brakes you name it and they'd just swapped a new wheel/tire combo on and tucked it in at strangely sharp angle.... I looked above the wheel and it was less than 3/8" from the bump stops! It was riding on the stops, not good. Sectioned struts but customer had dropped it well over 3"! Dropping the Z into the weeds wasn't doing him favours! So no matter what you believe a parts combo may do please check it out after install to see exactly what it's done on your Z.

If thats the definition of it then no, they werent coil bound, i apologize for the mistake. The springs had extremely little travel down the whole spring, before they then got coil bound. Thats what we thought was the problem

I know what your saying man, you can tell what is going to happen from the pictures. Do you have any bottoming problems with the st springs now, or is that all fixed?

I know what your saying man, you can tell what is going to happen from the pictures. Do you have any bottoming problems with the st springs now, or is that all fixed?

None that I've encountered so far, it hasnt been driven too terribly much since the new springs were put on right before winter came in (i snuck it out a few times:biggrin:) But my spring break is in two weeks and im going back home where ill be making up for lost time (weather permitting:-|). If there are any problems that i may encounter with the springs ill def post it up ;)

But for the above comments, im not trying to badmouth Tokico, we just had a bad experience dealing with them, they were very rude when we tried to be courteous to them in this issue. As for the shocks, were very pleased with them, and id recommend their shocks to other people :cool:, i would just tell people to stay away from their springs

• 1 month later...
Guest max260z

I have a early 74 260z with v8 and have the illumina struts with ST springs and had no problems. I only have about 1.5" of travel though. can get a little rough on bad roads but overall o.k. i am looking to go with coilovers with camber plates, should give me an extra inch travel. just a note, all four of my springs were identical. they told me there was no front or rear spring. I would like to know the spring rates on these. i would a little bit stiffer for autocrossing.

• 6 months later...

You folks are begining to scare me becuase I hate my KYB's... I am about to buy the tokico set up, however I am now having reservations. So what is the verdict ????? Are the Tokico's to low for daily drivers... beware I live in rural Montana and the roads here are maintained for 4X4's. 3 1/2" of clearance will not keep me from disappearing into a pothole up here! It seems there are more problems with 260's and of course mine is an early 74. I really only want to drop about an inch and stiffen it up a bit. I am not looking to "slam" it. So those of you with the set up that seems to work, how much lower are your cars than stock height?

Thanks

-------------------

Kirk

Go with Suspension techniques springs, and tokico illumina struts. It will drop you about an inch, it stiffens the car up alot, well worth the money. I have had none of the problems listed. But WARNING, DO NOT BUY KYB STRUTS!!! The seals get soft really fast, for your sake do not buy kyb's, they are great out of the box, then once you break them in, they suck!!!

/// What he said. If you want a more stiff and sporty ride, id say ST springs. If you want one with compromise, get Eibach, i have them on my Daily driver and they are a great compromise, im sure it'd work well with the Z too

• 1 month later...
This looks like a thread jack. What does Tein have to do with this particular issue? For the record I've never seen Tein springs advertised or talked about...

Mind you that in post #1 he mentioned that the companie sended them 2 tein coils to try and fix the problem and post #9 asked the same question as i am and never got an answer so im re-asking again .

Mind you that in post #1 he mentioned that the companie sended them 2 tein coils to try and fix the problem and post #9 asked the same question as i am and never got an answer so im re-asking again .

I see you are correct. Sorry about that, just trying to keep the thread on target.

• 2 months later...

I hate to bring up an old thread but its a sticky so I am gonna have to.

I just installed tokico Hp "blues" on my Early 260z (only have front done). I have the first 3 coils bound on the top of the springs. I have under an inch of travel with cut bumpstops.

I am gonna call Tokico tomorrow. Would a set of 280z springs fix my problem? Should I ask for them to send me the fron 280z springs?

IMHO, the 280Z Tokico Advanced Handling Springs are the best choice for any S30. But, you might have to cut some coils when installing them on a 240Z. In your case, I think your early 260Z probably has the later 280Z struts on it. Check the strut tube OD and if its 2" then its the 240Z style but if its 2.15" then its the 280Z style.

I put a piece of paper around the strut tube and measured the distance and got a diameter of 2.06"

The struts went in pretty tight so I am guessing I have a 240z set up.

Also I have not put in the rear springs and struts yet, the rear is sitting a little higher than the front. Will dropping the rear raise the front?