HybridZ

Northstar 4.6

Guest TeamNissan

Guest TeamNissan

Dont link me to a thread either lol. I always asearch. I'm asking for a tried and true solution not I heard this or saw that. thnx

Guest TeamNissan

I did actualy, thank you. They dont mention anything about clutch,flywheel,bearing for the 4.6 app though. I have seen alot of talk about it on here I cant believe no one is there yet.

Guest TeamNissan

Thats the link sparks was talking about. There is no way I'm going to pay 700 for a flywheel and clutch. There has got to be a combination that works.

Thats the link sparks was talking about. There is no way I'm going to pay 700 for a flywheel and clutch. There has got to be a combination that works.

Then why not stick to a tried and true SBC swap?

Northstars themselves are suppose to be expensive to work on. I think someone once posted a set of rings run $500.

BTW, from that link it looks like $670 is for the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing. The bellhousing is $375 on top of that.

Guest TeamNissan

It is a pain in the butt to work on and aftermarket parts are like non existant but you know how it goes.... We havnt seen one in a z yet so someone has to do it lol.

They can be rebuilt but its a wierd way. The block actualy is 2 pieces that split apart around the crank. Along with that the water pump is in the back above the flywheel and is driven off the cams lol.

I just want a dohc v8 that isnt exspensive that I can toss some diy itbs and msns on it lol. Doesnt have to be the northstar but it just seems to fit the bill.

I just want a dohc v8 that isnt exspensive that I can toss some diy itbs and msns on it lol. Doesnt have to be the northstar but it just seems to fit the bill.

Then stay away from the Northstar, its not a cheap motor to work with at ALL. When you get into converting it to RWD you just upped the cost a lot more. I'm guessing your wanting a DOHC V8, small displacement, high-ish revving V8? I'd recommend the VH41DE, different than a VH45DE, a little smaller displacement and I've never seen one in a 240z before.

Tyson

Guest TeamNissan

I really like the vh41/45 as well, I like it alot actualy but does anyone have a clear cut way to bolt up a manual tranny where they didnt invent a adapter or buy one in a group buy for a rediculously high amount of money? lol

Believe me if some one told me 100% that a certain bearing/cluch/flywheel/starter worked I would make the tranny adapt one way or another.

• 2 weeks later...

Small inexpensive dohc V8?

Look at the Toyota 1UZFE, 4 liter, dohc, 32 valve, RWD setup, all aluminum.

One has been swapped into a Z already so it won't be unique but they're good engines with some aftermarket support and they are cheap. I'm pretty sure there's even a working megasquirt setup for it.

Here's a buy-it-now one on ebay with 79,000 mile for $750.00 + shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-lexus-ls-400-engine-tested_W0QQitemZ260116792033QQihZ016QQcategoryZ33615QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wheelman

• 2 weeks later...