HybridZ

Gas smell in Cabin...leak?

For months now I have had to put up with the stench of fuel in the cabin. The smell has gotten stronger and stronger over time. I noticed injectors 5&6 had fuel on top of them a few weeks ago but it hasn't appeared again since.

Does anyone have any idea where the smell could be coming from? Its ALOT stronger when the motor is under boost.

I realise it could be coming from more than one location....

Help please its giving me awful headaches and i'm sure its gotta be bad on fuel economy.

I have had tail light seals and hatch seals cause this on a few cars. could also be your fuel tank vent line. if your sure you had fuel on top of the injectors you should inspect all the fuel lines and make sure there are no leaks. I have had 2 buddys burn their cars down because of the unseen leak. tc.

Hatch seal? Are you referring to the boot seal?

I shouldve stated this isn't in a Z car but in my Skyline.

Should the fuel tank vent line be blocked off or breathing? I hagve removed emmision control gear so at the moment the line from the fuel tank that used to goto the carbon cannister is breathing to atmosphere.

240's run fuel vent lines through the back of the passenger's compartment to a vent tank that is behind an interior body panel. When those hoses go bad, all it takes is a few hard turns or acceleration to fill the interior with raw gas smell. I don't know if something similar could be happening with your skyline.

Why not reconnect the vent line to the charcoal cannister and see what happens? That won't cost you any performance.

I'm having the same trouble. I have a 10gal cell in my hatch with the vent just going down and out of the bottem of the car. Yet it still reaks of gas. When i open the garage door it stinks of gas in there. I would like to run the fuel cells vent into the stock vent system on the pass side. But i dont remember what line go's where. The lines are all still in place but cut once they leave the interior. Can someone guide me to which line enter the vent system and which is the exit? There is one line exiting the pass side just behind the tail light and one exiting on the driver behind the tail light. Any help would be great. Thanks! I still need to build a fuel safe.

IM002386.jpg

Your tank has to have a vent of some type.

What I was suggesting is to look at your field service manual and see if any vent lines run through the passenger's compartment. If they do, check to see if they need to be replaced.

This includes the fill tube. "under boost" tells me hard acceleration. Maybe fuel is sloshing around and leaking out of a bad vent hose or from the fill tube.

I can't tell you what type of vents a Skyline has cause I have never seen one. But I can tell you Nissan wasn't opposed to running fuel lines through the cabin, so maybe they did it on your car too.

My 240 tank has 3 vents and the fill tube has 1. They all go tothe same place: a plastic vent tank in the passenger side C pillar. That thing is vented to the engine bay.

I don't think there is an in or an out. The vents all work together to let air move from one side of the main tank to the other.

I dont know if anybody would want to do this but you could probably put some kind of valve on the vent line coming from the tank and when its in the garage close it so it doesnt release fumes or when its parked in the sun in a parking lot open it so it can release the pressure.

Or you could use the stock fuel vapor condensor thing.

Pop'n wood, I see. So i guess i will plug up 2 of those vents and use the 1. I see that vent tank thing on the pass rear pillar. Now i just gotta follow where they go into the engine bay. I'm expecting them to just be cut somewhere in there. I guess I need a charcole canister for the vent line to end in? Cant find any diagrams on blackdragon.com. Thanks

My 240 had a vacuum switch on the port inner fender that vented the tank to the air cleaner when the engine was running or the crankcase with the engine off.

I recently cut the vent and will leave it open back by the fuel pump. Not sure how well this will work cause my car isn't running right now.

You may want to be careful about plugging vent lines. There have been posts claiming that plugging the vents prevents you from more than half filling the tank. Maybe you can get by with only one of the vents, I don't know.

I do know you HAVE to use vent hoses designed for fuel. Heater hoses will disintegrate in short order. When I first got my Z 19 years ago I went into a Nissan dealer and started to ask the part guy about the gas smell in my car when I turned. He walked away from me without saying a word while I was in mid sentence. Before I could figure out what was going on he came back and slamed the vent hoses on the counter and said "$150". Guess the problem was so common he had the fix memorized. He was the one who told me heater hoses will not work.

HAha, Thats a funny story. Don't forget I have a fuel cell now. My stock tank is gone. My cell has 1 main -6 steel braided vent line. And I have learned if i fill her just about to the top, the vent vomits up about 1/4 gal of fuel onto the ground. This is what worries me about now running into the stock vent system. I really wouldnt want fuel mistakenly running through the vent system. Think i may just leave it alone and deal with the stink. Thanks for your input though!

Maybe that is why Nissan mounted the stock vent tank so high. Any overflow that goes up into that tank eventually makes it way back to the main tank. There must be a good amount of fuel that runs through the vent lines on a stock system. When the hoses were bad it sure did stink when I would take a hard turn with a near full tank.