HybridZ

I want a Muscle Car But The Prices are INSANE!

cyrus

I want a Muscle Car But The Prices are INSANE!

I had a 1970 Malibu in high school my brother had a 1969 SS 396 Chevelle. I remember first gen SS camaros where $3500-5500 bucks or so in 1990. Now that I am looking for a Muscle car the TV auctions and baby boomer have drive normal camaros to 20k and Big Block/ss to 40k or 50k. What happend this is rediculus. It like you have to be rich or grandfathered in just to own a cool old muscle car.

End Rant

Back from paint, but need more room to start putting it back together.

http://www.dotphoto.com/RegenImage.aspx?I=60257820&P1=SAN1&P2=SD5&G=C60DAEF3-3BDD-49D0-82BD-2E5182CEA9F1&T=I

http://www.dotphoto.com/RegenImage.aspx?I=111781452&P1=SAN1&P2=SAN1&G=F9B7A957-C3B4-4544-868C-61E08DFC1219&T=I

Right around 100K miles, and you wouldn't believe the price I paid.

If you want American Muscle depending on the make and model, you are going to empty your wallet rather quickly. Speaking of building up a show car: $15-20k will get you the basic rolling stock + a few upgrades. Engine and tranny, another $12-15. Paint $10k basic $20-35 for a killer job. Interior $6-8k, misc. $5k...Yeah, somewhere in the neighborhood of $55-65k. Labor = your time. Now if your talking Mopar, just add another 35-40%.

Alternative: Build a MuscleZ like I have. Everything that would go into an American Built Muscle, has gone into my two 240Z's. Basically, its a Datsun with a twist...a big one! Old School 409 Muscle to the max. 650+ hp, with a license to kill. Show clean and street legal...well, sorta!

These are my first Import Muscle Cars. All my others have been Detroit Iron. I still have one left to build...that being a '41 Willis Coupe.

But, make no mistake...most of the car shows enter, I compete directly against the Detroit Iron. Being an Import offers some stigma challenges, but once I fire over the engine, that confirms any doubts. So, build your dream car and enjoy the opportunities as they come along.

The deals are out there you just have to be patient. On the other hand there are the jewels in barns just waiting to be found. I know were a Nova SS is sitting under tree, grass waist high all around and it is not clone !!!!It has been in the same place across from my bank for at least 12 years. I would love to get it, but Two40MuscleZ is so correct, those are good ballpark figures.

There's a restored-looking '64 Chrysler New Yorker with a 389 in it (old GTO engine?). Anywho, he's put up a sign on it for ~$4500. It's not listed anywhere that I know of, and he's got a cherried Buick Super right next to it.

I'll try and take a pic for you tomorrow if I can find my camera.

yeah actually they aren't that hard as long you're willing to do some work... i've got two actually the '65 is for sale at 16k it's pretty much a resto minus the wheels/tires/and stereo... it's a numbers matchin' 327SS and my chevelle i got for 5k and my old pickup... 307 malibu the 350 swap cost me around 1k all together it put down some great power and i love them both. if it's something you really want find the low models and build it how you want to, the impala sucked me dry because i bought it as an ss - .- the chevelle i bought as a malibu and built i drove it daily for months on end and now it's waiting for a new project engine but anyways i ramble, if you're willing to work on it you can get good cars cheap.

I married a woman with an original 70 Chevelle SS 396. Her father bought it new in the summer of 69 and she's been driving it since High-school. We have video of her as a little girl roller skating up and down the driveway next to it. We originally thought it'd be fun to let one of our kids drive it to high school but with the values the way they are it seems like a bad idea.

When you find these old cars sitting in the weeds NEVER assume they arent for sale. Too many times have asked and been told...NOT FOR SALE only to find 6 months later the car is gone. Ive asked " I thought you werent gonna sell it? and they always answer something like "well, I needed the money now" , or " this guy just kept coming buy and asking and telling me how he wanted to restore it and how much he loved it and blah blah so I let him have it"

I now know to have cash on hand so I can close the deal right then and to stop by and nag people every couple of weeks if it is something I really want. And remember, most people dont want to hear you talk like your gonna build a hot-rod or race car. Brag about hat a pretty car it could be, and how you have some great memory of one and it melts them...LOL !

That Mustang is a prime candidate, if it doesnt belong to the business owner ( he probably has the cash to keep it) but the city wont let it sit there forever so who ever owns it will have to move it soon and may need to give up on the project so start asking now if you want to know...

oO i bought a 75 duster with the slant 6 for 1300.Plain on putting a 318 in it.Getting a myscle car is cheap if you look it the right place.And not afrade to do work yourself.My duster has 1 hole in the floor and some rust around the tail lights.Esay fix just goto mopar and ford shows.Thay pop up alot.Or in many chases swap meets go early and hits the back vendors.

Back in 1996 when I was 16 I was looking for a car after my first truck went to the crapper ... my friend had two 69 Camaros at the time (I think his dad paid in the 7,000 range for them) and I found a nice 68' RS for only 5,000 (non-original engine and a lot of mods)... I so wanted it but my parents talked me out of it ... looking back it would have been impractical a lot of the time, but it's value would have been WAY more ... I looked a year ago at the prices of Camaros, nothing under 10k that wasn't complete crap and cars like the one I almost bought, more than 20k! ... I like my Z, it's cheaper, drives the corners better and it was free! ...

The first car I ever "Had to have" was this 1970 El Camino SS 454 4speed that was sitting in the weeds near my school. All original, still had the cowl hood and everything. But it had the usual Michigan rust, so it was only $2000. Obviously I was talked out of it by my parents but I still kick my self for not buying that car. Of course when I was acctually ready to get a project the car was no where to be found. I later found out it was taken to the scrap yard courtesy of the city so they could make another parking lot.