HybridZ

homemade powdercoating oven

jonus079

How about taking two old ovens, make them face each other and build a box the size you need between the two?

..throws away old ovens by the dozens, not cause they don't work, just cause they have an outdated look...

If you can get your hands on a convection oven, I THINK, correct me if I'm wrong powdercoaters, it would be good, since it works with the element in front of a fan, it distributes heat more evenly and quicker.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been doing my own powder coating for that last couple months in my oven at home. It's not hard at all, just sucks cuz you are limited to certain size items (aka....no rims). But i've been using my buddies powder coat gun that he bought off ebay, its jenky but sticks that powder to the metal! So far everything seems to bake evenly and solid. We have been doing parts for his car like his intake manifold, valve covers, etc. We put whatever base coat on, and for the items in plain sight, we usually throw a clear coat over them. Overall works good!

I used the pregnant oven thing for a while before I got the bigger oven. It works ok, but the heat isn't always even for the largest of items. If you did the 2 oven thing with an extension between them, you would def. need a low speed fan to move the air and make the heat distribute evenly.

Like OTM said, never use an oven that will be used for food to cure powder. The VOCs of powder go dormant when cold and reactivate when hot, so food would be contaminated.

I can't wait to order my new oven. 42x48x60! Right now I'm stuck with a house oven :( So a lot of things I do for customers is limited at the moment. Hopefully when I get this new oven I can really expand my business.

Nice!

Mine is 36x36x42.

Anything that won't fit in it, I don't want to do! I'm overworked as it is, and actually wouldn't mind a bit of a slowdown, as I am working 40-50 hours a week on the PC now.

Guest w00t
Nice!

Mine is 36x36x42.

Anything that won't fit in it, I don't want to do! I'm overworked as it is, and actually wouldn't mind a bit of a slowdown, as I am working 40-50 hours a week on the PC now.

Thanks man.

I really want to expand this into something full time. I'm doing this and once I get enough money I'm ordering all my detailing stuff(About $700 worth!) and doing that on the side/weekends. Only problem is some people have been alittle nervous about letting a 15 year old powder coat parts for them!

My main reason for doing powder coating right now is because it is in high demand, and it pays good! Since my ever growing list for the S30 is topping 17K right now, I really need to get on the ball and start expanding.

This oven is costing me close to 3K, but it will expand what I can powder coat drasticly, so I feel that it is a good investment. I'm currently working with my friend to get my website set up, and already contacted the Admins on some large forums I regularly go on(300zx club and Rx7club) to start advertising, so as soon as I get enough money I will be putting the word out on those forums, which have almost 170K members combined so that should draw in a lot of business!

I occasionally use the old regular oven.. for small parts.. bolts, brackets, etc.. Most of the stuff goes in the bigger oven now, 36"x36"x72". I needed the extra space, especially for rear end housings, clearing stainless and polished aluminum trim, and other "long" parts...

Even at 450 for outgassing, some poor castings will still outgas. Especially older stuff thats full of contaminates.

Some powders will cure at lower temps... all depends on the type of powder, i.e. polyester, urethane, TGIC, hybrids, epoxies..

I've had some that cure at 325. But most are around 385-400.

Even at 450 for outgassing, some poor castings will still outgas. Especially older stuff thats full of contaminates.

Like early Viper valve covers, what a pain in the a**!

When I do plastics, I cure at 350-375 for a longer time period.

not a bad oven, find out the dimensions tho. Looks could be deceiving.

Also... you want to make sure there is ABSOLUTELY NO WATER from your compressor, that means installing a moisture trap on your line... if not multiple.

water in the air causes bumps in the powdercoat and will have you bashing your head in trying to figure out why.

About the keeping the oven at temperature, one method of removing hot and cold spots from ovens is to put more mass in them sometimes in the form of pizza stones or unglazed ceramic items sometimes bricks. I have no idea how this would affect powdercoating but the items act along the lines of thermal capacitors the only downside is much much much longer heat up times.

Never trust a built-in oven thermometer

Guest w00t
About the keeping the oven at temperature, one method of removing hot and cold spots from ovens is to put more mass in them sometimes in the form of pizza stones or unglazed ceramic items sometimes bricks. I have no idea how this would affect powdercoating but the items act along the lines of thermal capacitors the only downside is much much much longer heat up times.

Never trust a built-in oven thermometer

So true!

I had a house oven I was using set at 375*, and I also had a seperate thermometer in there and it was reading almost 450* in the middle of the oven! Always keep your eyes on the temp!

I'm currently working with my friend to get my website set up, and already contacted the Admins on some large forums I regularly go on(300zx club and Rx7club) to start advertising, so as soon as I get enough money I will be putting the word out on those forums, which have almost 170K members combined so that should draw in a lot of business!

You are not a regular on 3ZC. :wink::burnout: