HybridZ

Late 86 Turbo Z V8 Chevy Conversion ??

Considering a V8 Chevy swap into a late 86 Z Tubo body. Car still has all the factory stuff, and has T-tops.

My engine for the project is a Chevy Small Block 400, 10.5:1 Compression Dome Top Pistons with 5.7" SBC 350 Rods-ARP bolts, with 76cc Chamber heads, cam setup to still run pump gas, high rise dual plane alum. intake, headers, 2500 rpm stall and Tubo 350 auto tranny.

My setup will probably put about 400-450 ft. lbs of torque to the rear wheels.

Questions I need help with:

1. Will the stock body and chasis handle the torque without weld in bracing and extra chasis work?

2. Will the late 86 to early 87 Turbo rear end handle the torque?

3. What should I expect the factory gear ratio to be on this car?

4. What will be my cars weight without driver if I drop the V8 chevy swap into the Z31 Turbo car?

I am torn between using this car body to make a nice street/strip car or use a 86 RX7 N/A body. I know the RX7 body will weigh in at around 2880 lbs without driver, but I only can use it as a full time drag car cause its abandoned/no title rig.

Anyone help me decide which way to go? I have custom designed a solid mount front engine cradle that will work in either swap, so I just need to get some input on what the Z31 is capable of with the Turbo rear end.:burnout:

My setup will probably put about 400-450 ft. lbs of torque to the rear wheels.

No offense but I think you're dreaming on that one. Flywheel sure but not to the wheels.

Questions I need help with:

1. Will the stock body and chasis handle the torque without weld in bracing and extra chasis work?

2. Will the late 86 to early 87 Turbo rear end handle the torque?

3. What should I expect the factory gear ratio to be on this car?

4. What will be my cars weight without driver if I drop the V8 chevy swap into the Z31 Turbo car?

1. More than likely depending on how hard you launch.

2. Google... probably not with hard launches. I've talked to a guy with a non-turbo rearend running low 13's with a single turbo VG30 (?) and he said he could launch a lot harder if his axles would hold up.

3. Google

4. You might ask someone on here who has done the swap. Anything else would be guesstimations.

I can probably buy another RX7 body with good title and just use my other one for spare parts, but I can also get the late 86 300ZX Turbo car for free with good title.

The Z car has no rear seats since its not a 2+2, and the RX7's do have a back seat, so I am wondering exactly just how much weight difference there really is between these car bodies?

I would go with the Rx-7 but since you have no title. Screw that cause you are gonna hate yourself for not being able to run it on the street and play with people.

Yea, you are probably right, I was thinking about the engine when it had the Alum. closed chamber heads and roller cam setup......One can always dream though....:icon44:

Whats Google...Not familiar with those gear ratio's......

No offense but I think you're dreaming on that one. Flywheel sure but not to the wheels.

1. More than likely depending on how hard you launch.

2. Google... probably not with hard launches. I've talked to a guy with a non-turbo rearend running low 13's with a single turbo VG30 (?) and he said he could launch a lot harder if his axles would hold up.

3. Google

4. You might ask someone on here who has done the swap. Anything else would be guesstimations.

Hey, I'm an old codger. Not too up on the Google thingy.

Dont think I know any Jason Mulkey either.....

My dreams of a V8Z once again came crashing down yesterday evening when I went to look at the 86 Turbo Z and found that it had became the local neighborhood parts car.....:evil:

Car is too trashed now to consider bringing back to life again. Back to my 86 RX7 Conversion now.......:icon43:

:bonk: you're joking I hope :icon43:

Do you know Jason Mulkey?

If you want to see one in person,See Jim New at Limbaugh Toyota in Birmingham.He has an 84 300zx with a 400sbc.He would be glad to show it to you.By the way,that 87 turbo has a 3.70 gear set,and I'll buy it from you if you're not gonna use it! Rats!,I just reread it being a 86,nevermind