HybridZ

Early 70s Japanese race car aero

Some already pictured in my previous posts ( look back at the start of the thread ), but the final Nissan works team version from '74/'75 can be seen on the LY-engined works car that still belongs to Nissan/NISMO. Taking it as read that each evolution was theoretically more effective than the previous version, this would effectively be Nissan's works team's opinion on what was the most effective solution at that point in time:

Gold!!!!!! Thanks Alan, you may be a Pommie PITA but you have 'The Knowledge'.

PS Hows the book coming along.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, Jon, Alan, thank you both for not taking my comment in the wrong way.. I kinda came down like an overbearing big brother there, but you guys understood my overall point, I think.

Secondly, this....

I'm just happy four other guys showed up at World Finals in Bonneville this year with a G-Nose! When G-Noses outnumbered non-G-Nosed Z's, the tide was turned and they decided it might not be good to disallow it...

pretty well sums up my POV on this subject; beyond that, its a matter of opinions and their proverbial diversity and olfactory essence. :lmao:

I came away with one overreaching conclusion from those tests.

The Datsun S-30 has crappy aero.

There are a lot more things wrong with the body shape than the damn nose of the car. I find it humorous that this argument has gone on in this way considering that the shape of the nose is way down on the list of crappy aero issues.

If you want good aero then buy a more modern car.

As far as the vertical hatch fins, They thought they could improve airflow over the rear deck and improve the directional stability of the car(especially in traffic at speed).

One cause of the rear deck spillover comes from rounded transitions from the sides to the top surfaces of the car.(modern cars are slab-sided for that reason)

The overall proportions of the car and the near vertical windshield are all wrong for aero.

The tucked-in sides of the car cause disruptions at the wheel wells. Skirts are not entirely the answer to this problem. Think about tire exposure and the protruding rear edges of the front wells.

We found that the body trim and glass mounting gaskets suck in comparison to modern, flush glass and gutterless roofs.

The front edge of the hood is way too high off the ground.

The G-nose addresses this problem. I think it's weak point is the fact that it still traps air under it's considerable overhanging profile. This manages to pry the front end up anyway and negate any positive effect from the lower hood profile. The G-nose needs a spoiler lip that protrudes ahead of the bumper-line. This would keep the air out from under it and probably work to great effect. The other problem with the G-nose is the fact that it is extra weight in the worst possible place on the car.

The G-nose needs a spoiler lip that protrudes ahead of the bumper-line. This would keep the air out from under it and probably work to great effect.

"IMSA G-Nose Spoiler" Does exactly that. And the damned FRP hood STILL bulges up at speed from underhood pressure!:shifty: