HybridZ

Engine swap possibility (for CA)

Hey_You

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gollum viewpost.gif

intercoolers are legal. They don't alter air or fuel quantities.

Are you sure about that? I once failed because I had modified the stock air cleaner housing.

An intercooler only adjusts the temperature of the air coming in, it does not allow more air to be fed into the engine, until you turn up the boost, haha.

An intercooler only adjusts the temperature of the air coming in, it does not allow more air to be fed into the engine, until you turn up the boost, haha.

Are you laughing at me? Because you just agreed with me... I don't get it :?

Are you sure about that? I once failed because I had modified the stock air cleaner housing.

That's because a modified intake WILL allow more air in, which is why we do it right? That makes it illegal to CA. Fuel rails can be legal if you use stock injectors because the same amount of fuel gets it. You can't legally raise boost because you're letting in more air. You can't legal modify your air/fuel tables or reprogram your ECU because you can change the air/fuel quantities and ratio. You can't modify the exhaust manifold/header because you'll adjust the air leaving the engine, and in turn effect air going into the engine.

Of course, all of these mods CAN be legal if they're CARB approved.

EDIT: Oh yea, johnC put it best. Don't listen to me, see the ref. Even if I WAS a ref I'd still say go see your local ref for advice because in the end they ARE the law that you should abide by.

That's because a modified intake WILL allow more air in, which is why we do it right? That makes it illegal to CA.

No, they told me it was illegal because it wasn't stock, didn't have a CARB number and wasn't in their book.

The tech's simply apply rules. They don't use technical judgment.

I have seen cars fail because they didn't have a heat riser tube. I would think an intercooler would have a much bigger impact on how fast the car heats up than a heat riser tube.

In a way you CA guys have it good in that there are referee stations to get definitive answers. When I went to do my swap I called half a dozen state agencies trying to find out what the rules are in my state. People would give me answers, but since none of the answers agreed I think the counter clerks were just telling me what they THOUGHT the answers were.

Well yea, they're just gonna say that. What I said was in regards as to why the rules are in place. The tech's just inforce you're right. They don't really judge anything. They just go by the book (whatever they know of it).

In CA it's really tough because by state law ANY mod "could" be illegal, and to really find out you have to talk to your local ref. Some refs might consider an intercooler illegal, but mine doesn't, and he does most of the swap legalizations in the bay area and foreign conversions that come in from oakland port.

when i used to smog used cars at local ford dealer i failed a few for aftermarkit parts-all parts mounted to car have to have a bar exemption sticker somewhere around the engine compartment.so if the car has 3 parts(cold air kit.header,etc) should have 3 stickers.i pissed the used car manager off because i failed a very heavily modded 5.4l lightning pick up -list of mods is too many to type.it wouldnt communicate with the obd2 on the smog machine and was running rich also.the idiot bought it at the dealer auction.as far as the ref on swaps-i have run 2 cars through-my z and a 84 el camino i put a chevy tpi motor in-they passed first time at the ref and got thier door stickers for the swap.you really need to know completely the theory behind how this stuff works if you want to make a car pass and look like it was assembled at a factory and not hacked up.