HybridZ

The next wind tunnel session- suggestions

Guest TeamNissan

I can't stop thinking about the slant mounted intercooler on SR240z's SR setup.

Wouldn't it make sense to duct the system so that air would HAVE to go through the radiator, then build a duct into the engine bay making the 90 degree bend upwards and then having air extraction slots on the hood above the IC?

It seems to me (granted i'm stupid sometimes) that as long as you're airflow is sealed between the radiator and IC they don't need to be right up against each other. If it's not a sealed system after the radiator then I can totally see wanting the IC right up against it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Stealing from another thread, it might be worth the effort to mock up the front setup from the early factory Works Zs.

71suzukagreat201en3.jpg

I really like that look. I notice that this car had two hood vents on either side of the hood's center line with, what appears to be a small deflector strip on the leading edge. If this works, then one might think that the '73 "competition hood scoop" sold by Datsun to cure overheating might have some real aero advantage. The installation instructions required cutting a hole about 18" long and eight inches wide in the hood and then covering it with this fiberglas cover. Note that the air exits out the sides of the "scoop". S30CompetitonHdScoop.JPG

S30CompetitionHdScoop3.JPG

G