HybridZ

Ka24det Vs Sr20det

CalifaThugz

Make a LLOONNGG story short! The KA24DET will make more horsepower than the SR20DET will with the same setup also more reliable! The KA24DET is cheaper. Will have a better exhaust note than the SR20DET. Did I mention it was cheaper?:confused:

Guest mota

it may if youre looking for only 230ish to the wheels, but i can guarantee the sr will last longer at even that power level, try running a ka-t at over 300 rwhp and see how long it lasts, vs where the sr has seen 600+rwhp with just a metal headgasket, then theres also the issue with the head and bore/stroke of the ka, vs the rev happy head of the sr...lots of pros and cons both ways, ive owned 2 sr's s13's, but ya like guy said, if the moneys right, any motor can be best...its all in what you go for..

Make a LLOONNGG story short! The KA24DET will make more horsepower than the SR20DET will with the same setup also more reliable! The KA24DET is cheaper. Will have a better exhaust note than the SR20DET. Did I mention it was cheaper?:confused:

Why do you bother posting here? Seems like your post was an argument rather than a question or helpful information. Aren't you the same guy that said your friend swapped SR20DET's into Z's for like $1800 in 6 hours until I called BS.

If your quote is what you believe, build a KA24DET.

Why do you bother posting here? Seems like your post was an argument rather than a question or helpful information. Aren't you the same guy that said your friend swapped SR20DET's into Z's for like $1800 in 6 hours until I called BS.

If your quote is what you believe, build a KA24DET.

if memory serves he said he was fourteen in another post... that's not to say the point is valid, however with the proper budget any engine can better another. look at the ecotec... they've made 1k+ horse power drag versions... wonder how much it cost though... anytime you swap an engine you lose alot of that "reliability" because it's not it's original home, just my opinion. ^.^

There's some fiction in your truth, and some truth to your fiction.

I really don't like this thread, because it DOES look like an argument, which we're not really about here (not like I'm an admin, but I'd love for one to chime in about HZ ethics).

If you want an argument go somewhere else.

The KA is a strong block, weak stock internals. Blocks are dime a dozen. Less turbo parts available and for the money you'll put on getting turbo manifolds you could have a SR.... Though the KA HAS proven to be able to put down more power in a garage build scenario. It's also proven to be closer in weight than people thing. The NA is within a few pounds of the turbo SR. So once you add your turbo stuff to a KA it's not THAT much heavier, and the extra strength might be worth it. The REAL prize? Parts are cheep and readily available. You don't need to ship something in from japan if you break it.

Less turbo parts available? Sorry, but no. More money for a manifold? That just makes no sense at all. A top dollar equal length mani for a KA costs the same as an SR. A cheap log manifold will cost the same, a cheap ebay special china chrome plated manifold will cost the same. There is absolutely no shortage of any 'turbo parts' for the KA, and to say so is ignorant of the truth.

P.S. you don't have to get anything from Japan when something on your SR breaks since the NA version came in about eleventymillion sentras.

Less turbo parts available? Sorry, but no. More money for a manifold? That just makes no sense at all. A top dollar equal length mani for a KA costs the same as an SR. A cheap log manifold will cost the same, a cheap ebay special china chrome plated manifold will cost the same. There is absolutely no shortage of any 'turbo parts' for the KA, and to say so is ignorant of the truth.

P.S. you don't have to get anything from Japan when something on your SR breaks since the NA version came in about eleventymillion sentras.

Depends on what NA parts you actually end up keeping, wich odd are won't be much. Besides, wasn't the argument regarding the SR20DET????

And there ARE NOT as many KA turbo part options out there. That'd be like saying there's as many turbo parts for a RB20 as there is a RB25 or 26. This simply isn't true. Just because there ARE some similarly priced options doesn't mean there's more.

The KA never came turbo charged, it's only natural and normal that there's less turbo support out there. Though the KA market is more than double than what it was just a few short years ago. It's definitely a growing market still as americans realize how perfect they are for budget power.

There's still not a single carb numbered turbo kit for them though, which is a real shame. I'd be nice to have a legalized KA24DET motor in a Z.

The NA SRs here in the USA are also a farcry from the SR20DET. Sure you can turbo it, but why? You're better off just getting a SR20DET from the beginning.

So really... why is this even an argument? SR = You got more money and want the revs. KA = budget HP that can still kick butt. Both are good options.

fyi. SR's did come in the US, in infiniti G20's and nissan sentra SER's, so getting internal engine parts is as easy as going to the nissan dealership. not to mention the MANY MANY MANY aftermarket suppliers of parts right here in the good old USA.

But they're different heads, and isn't the only shared internal components the crank and rods? The motors are different compression ratios, and I'm pretty sure overall they aren't as overbuilt.

I know I'm no expert in the subject but still, what do they ACTUALLY share in common?

I have personally turbocharged a USDM SR20 to in excess of 350 whp without changing anything but cams. The bottom end of the NA SR20 is rock solid and almost identical to the DET. The only real reason to go with the SR20DET is for lower compression and oil squirters.

That of course is for FWD apps. For RWD apps you may as well get the SR20DET because there are no RWD SR20DE's in the US.

The KA is a NA motor from the factory. It can be turbocharged like any other NA motor, but it does not have a turbocharged counterpart with almost identical construction as the SR. A factory designed turbo motor is always going to be more robust than a factory NA motor with an aftermarket turbo.

- Greg -

Depends on what NA parts you actually end up keeping, wich odd are won't be much. Besides, wasn't the argument regarding the SR20DET????

And there ARE NOT as many KA turbo part options out there. That'd be like saying there's as many turbo parts for a RB20 as there is a RB25 or 26. This simply isn't true. Just because there ARE some similarly priced options doesn't mean there's more.

The KA never came turbo charged, it's only natural and normal that there's less turbo support out there. Though the KA market is more than double than what it was just a few short years ago. It's definitely a growing market still as americans realize how perfect they are for budget power.

There's still not a single carb numbered turbo kit for them though, which is a real shame. I'd be nice to have a legalized KA24DET motor in a Z.

The NA SRs here in the USA are also a farcry from the SR20DET. Sure you can turbo it, but why? You're better off just getting a SR20DET from the beginning.

So really... why is this even an argument? SR = You got more money and want the revs. KA = budget HP that can still kick butt. Both are good options.

What does a CARB legal turbo kit have to do with anything? You realize a JDM sr20 is just as illegal, right? But California sucks for emissions, period. CARB legality is literally the last thing that should be comming in to this conversation.

It's an arguement because people like you keep trying to pull negative points against the KA like "it wasn't a factory turbo motor so there are inherantly less turbo parts available" when that is not true in any way. Tell me one thing turbo related available for an SR not available for a KA. Just one.

Hmm.. that's funny, someone in another thread just stated the FWD NA blocks were different, thus quite different overall. I don't doubt your HP, but we've got conflicting info.

They are different in terms of casting. It's complicated to make a FWD SR20 work with a RWD transmission for example. However the important stuff about the bottom end (i.e. those things leading to strength and durability), are the same, other than a change in compression and some oil squirters like I mentioned. The ultimate hp for the SR20DET is higher, but only assuming you want more than 350-400 whp.

- Greg -

What does a CARB legal turbo kit have to do with anything? You realize a JDM sr20 is just as illegal, right? But California sucks for emissions, period. CARB legality is literally the last thing that should be comming in to this conversation.

It's an arguement because people like you keep trying to pull negative points against the KA like "it wasn't a factory turbo motor so there are inherantly less turbo parts available" when that is not true in any way. Tell me one thing turbo related available for an SR not available for a KA. Just one.

Wow, why do make me out to hate either motor???

The carb fact DOES enter the conversation BECAUSE there's not carb legal turbo kit for a KA, meaning a KA24DET is JUST AS illegal as a SR20DET. So really it's a strike against the KA for those that would hope to get a KA legalized. It means that both motors would be illegal, but you're more likely to keep a KA under the radar in other states and out of urban areas.

And my parts argument still stands, but you still don't see my point. I'm not saying there's anything you can't get for a KA turbo motor, my point is that parts aren't as varied and there isn't as much competition. There's just simply less options. Honda guys have more options for parts than everyone else. Everyone excepts this fact and deals with it. A 350SBC has more parts available then a 289SBF. This doesn't mean there's anything you can't get for a 289, just not as many options, simple fact.

And again, why are you so quick to argue and seemingly hate me? I haven't lied. I haven't said either motor is bad. Whats your deal man?

And thanks for the info on the SR blocks. So can you tell me anything about the heads? What all DO the share in common? I'd assume the cam grinds are different, but what else? The thermostat is in a different location as well isn't it?

And thanks for the info on the SR blocks. So can you tell me anything about the heads? What all DO the share in common? I'd assume the cam grinds are different, but what else? The thermostat is in a different location as well isn't it?

IIRC the cams are interchangeable, and I would imagine the grinds are different. JWT S3 cams will fit in both a USDM NA SR20 and a JDM SR20DET. Only the GTI-R AWD SR20DET has mechanical lifters (though you could convert to them) so it has entirely different cams.

The tstat locations are different because the motor is mounted transversely in a FWD car.

The RWD motor also has a cam angle sensor, direct ignition, etc. making it a fair bit different than the FWD. If you tried to mount a FWD SR20 in a longitudinal orientation the distributor would hit the firewall.

I dont have the full list of what is different between the motors, but I would say they are similar enough to say that the differences are minor. Like I said before, the SR is simply a turbo motor, designed by Nissan to be so, while the KA is not.

If you look at the later model (98/99+) roller rocker SR motors, they are considerably weaker as Nissan went to reduce weight and cost since all that turbo strength wasnt necessary for the NA motor.

- Greg -