HybridZ

Price of wire!

cygnusx1

Unfortunately the cost of all building materials including wire (both stranded and solid core) has gone up over 100% in the past couple of years. You probably will not be able to find it much cheaper in any retail type store. What you can do if you have one of these stores around you is go to "Habitat for Humanity" and look for some wire there. These stores are for people to donate construction items to and the donor can take a tax right-off. The general public can purchase these donated items at a reduced price and even though some of the items are used most of the stuff is brand new including wire and can be purchased at amazing discounts. You can think of Habitat for Humanity as a Salvation Army store for construction equipment and tools.

Dragonfly

I bought a 100ft roll of 16ga from Ace Hardware for less than $15. I believe it was rated for automotive use, but I used most of it away from the heat of the engine anyway.

For engine wiring (sensors, injectors), I ended up buying a full wiring harness out of a pristine Northstar at the junkyard. Pricy at like $30 but I got all the connectors with it which included 10 injector connectors, 2 sets of 14-pin water-tight connectors for the FI and transmission subharnesses, and maybe 15 more misc connectors. It got me 3 runs of shielded two-pair for the VR, ignition, and TPS. Also, got several runs of 10ga for power.

The folks at my local junkyard consider any bundled wiring of any length to be a "harness" whether it has 4 wires or 50. Same price. The trick was to pull every subharness out and connect them together so that they only charged me for one harness.

Holy Cow found the deal of the century for 18G wire. I actually think Home Depot is losing money on this one. Look for the dog fence wire. It's red wire 18G stranded copper. 500 foot roll for $27.00. It's thin for the heavy stuff but for the low current stuff it should be fine. The 16G stranded is 33cents/foot.

And my buddies always laughed at me when I would pull any long pieces of wire I could find at the Pic-a-part yards!!!! HA! ( I grab the wire-snake wrap stuff too)

I've also used 4-5 strand trailer wiring for making my own "mini harness" in dashes..

• 6 months later...

hate to bring back such an old thread but just thought i would share.

http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/catalog?parentid=791874&page=1

14 gauge GXL wire rated for 125ºC and solvent resistant for $0.1135/foot. you have to buy it in 100ft spools but that’s still only $11.35 a roll. it gets cheaper too if you buy 500ft or larger rolls. this is the same exact quality stuff modern car manufacturers are using (TXL) but with slightly thicker insulation. this site pretty well explains the differences.

http://www.kayjayco.com/catPWireSelect.htm

hope it helps

I ones disected a wiring loom of a z31. The complete wiring loom weighs about 20 lbs!!! thats a lot of coper. I now have a big box of little spools in different lenghts en colors.

I build 3 complete megasquirt wiring looms and still have lots left.