HybridZ

So Mike, what will you do, based on the aero test?

So I’ve been asked a number of times what I’ll do to make my car handle better, since the outcome of the aerodynamic testing.

First thing I’ll do, and have done is order some items…

Canards to bolt to the front of the MSA Type 3 airdam on the car.

Add Vortex generators to the roof.

Add a rear pedistal mount rear wing that will be approximately 32 inches wide at the base mounts and 55 inches wide at the ends of the spoiler.

Seal the radiator opening, along with closing off the radiator and lower chin openings on the MSA type 3 spoiler.

Add ducting and collars to the inner fenders of the chassis, ala Roddy’s inner fender openings.

Add lower rockers identical to Roddys.

Add front quarter window deflectors that extend to the drip rail and flare outwar.

Add rear quarter windows that allow for a rounded front edge.

Add a front radiator encloser/box. This will seal the hood, and the radiator, along with the lower chassis area at the front crossmember.

The front of the MSA Type 3 will have a splitter that will essentially be a a splitter that incorpotates the lower belly pan. I may box in the whole engine bay. Not 100% sure how I'll make this "removable" in case it bombs, but looking at creatve DZus fasteners.

Mike

i scored an apr wing off ebay for $150. all of the other things on your list are sitting in my garage waiting patiently to be attached. :redface:

one thing that still has me is i have a fmic. it is about the same size as the radiator. both are azcar. this will be on the street being driven as well as on the track. so sitting in trafic with temps of 120 degrees + radiating off of the fresh black top freeways just finished in the phx area. i think the opening for the duct work needs to be half the size that it is now, not a small hole for racing only apps. any comments on that part.

jimbo

What are these fender vents you speak of? The same ones as on the blue car in testing? I was thinking about venting the underhood air under the fender but not cutting a vent and letting it find its way out on its own. Are you talking about a similar idea?

EDIT: Just noticed a couple of post down that you are talking of the blue car. Regardless, does anyone think it a good idea to vent to under the fender with out cutting vents in the body. This would leave room for the air to escape only through the gap where the door starts and possibly into the wheel well.

The fender vents on the blue car are connected to some holes in the inner fenderwell, so they basically take air from the engine compartment and extract it to the fender.

The fender vents on the top of the fenderwell take air from the fenderwell and extract it through the top of the fender.

I think both ideas could be used simultaneously, maybe in addition to that you could have an airdam which has a lip in front of the front tire as well, which would suck air out of the fenderwells in that direction too.

Jon, Im wondering if we could somehow use the stock Z ventilation system that draws from the front grill and instead seal it off from the grill and cabin and use the channels in the body to vent under hood air? When I looked at these channels they look well sealed.

- Greg -

Jon, Im wondering if we could somehow use the stock Z ventilation system that draws from the front grill and instead seal it off from the grill and cabin and use the channels in the body to vent under hood air? When I looked at these channels they look well sealed.

I think big holes in the hood would be easier, but ???

Looks like I'm on the right track! yehaw!

DSC01063.jpg

DSC01061.jpg

I will begin shortly on putting in vertical pieces of aluminum to keep air from going to the left of right of the rad though the rad support is sealed up pretty good. (I installed an aluminum sheet to the rad support with only holes cut for the rad opening, and i/c piping.

On the highway I no longer see the hood flutter. not even a bit.

I'm going ahead with my other idea of the roof mounted lip (ala 280zx inspiration)

roofaeromod.jpg

This is just a piece of cardboard tucked in to give a general idea of what I was looking to do. I may make mine out of fibreglass so I can paint it to match the body colour.

Scott.

Scott,

Looks great! Do you have a picture with the top piece removed? I'm curious to see how you boxed in the intercooler to radiator since I'm assuming your intercooler sits directly in front of the radiator. I have taken a slightly different approach where I have gone from the top of the same air damn as you to the top of the lower cross piece of the radiator support. This was not to bad for me to do since my car is a 240 and that lower cross piece does not have as big a dip in it. I'm already at work so no pictures yet.

Also, does the top piece interlock with the leading edge of the hood when the hood is closed? Any fitment issues there?

Joe

My bottom panel extends from the top of the airdam and goes back and above the lower rad support. I pretty much stops at the new rad support "wall" (can't really call it a firewall?) hehe the i/c sits on top of the lower panel.

The I/c and rad are almost touching. There is not much room between, so I have no shrouding between the two..

The top panel is not as easy to do as on the blue race car used in the windtunnel. I still have stock hinges, so my cover can't extend all the way to the edges. I made it as tight as I could. The panel sits tightly on top of the original grill, and the lower "inside" flange of the stock hood is slightly infront. It is not a full seal however. The hood just barely clears the front edge of the cover where it sits on the grill. Clearance is in millimeters. To make the hood easy to open, I'm not sure how much more I could seal that part up.

The sides don't look as easy to build I will make mockups out of cardboard first.

Scott